Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I don’t wanna use my fallkniven A1 to practice with. Any cheapo knives out there with a convex edge that are good starting points?

·
reluctant sinner
17,477 Posts
I don't think you can find much with that grind and cheap. It was hand worked in the old days, there might be some machine that can do it now - with all the CNC and 5 axis stuff it wouldn't surprise me.

I think you could convert an old knife to that profile by using the coarser sandpaper and a softer backing and then working your way up in grit number and firmer backing.

Using a sharpie really shows where you are removing metal.

https://agrussell.com/knife-articles/blade-grinds

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Sharpen an old hatchet or machete.

Convex grind is well suited for chopping
I was just going to mention a machete. Softer steel that will convex much easier. It's easily my favorite blade profile and even with newer custom knives, as I used them, I begin the process to reprofile them into a convex edge.

Not the best picture, but I eventually reprofiled my Habilus Bush Tool and my Martin Knives BT with a convex edge. They were both a saber grind (actually the Habilus had more of a Scandi-grind with micro secondary bevel) with secondary bevel.

Both edges are razor sharp and extremely robust. I can do light touch ups for extended are really hard use, but it's rarely needed. I will touch them up once at home with something like a 2500+grit sandpaper on a soft pad and finish with a leather strop. I'm also a believer it getting your bevel as polished as you can as it prevents particulates that often lead to surface rust).

ROCK6

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I made the knife on the top from an old pair of rusty, pruning shears. It's about as cheap as they get and it has a convex grind (my favorite knife profile).

I made the knife on the bottom from an old tree saw. Basically modified the saw and sharpened the back side of the blade to a razor edge.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm a hack at sharpening but I learned by sharpening large machetes in Thailand. On a big natural water stone. Sometimes they were sway-backed, perfect for a convex edge.

Nowadays, I can't imagine anything but a convex edge just because I can't hold a steady angle. Rock back and forth on the stone at a low angle. Really hard and fast. Then very gradually raise the angle when you get good and tired of sharpening that damned thing. Then you say "screw it" and take a pass or two to add a "micro bevel" or whatever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts