Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
If you can't afford $20 then why are you building a gun instead of paying your bills?

Jesus some of you people are just whiny window lickers

Who said I couldn't afford it? But it's still a cost to be factored in, ESPECIALLY since the OP is trying to build a budget gun & presumably ordering only 1. When I order SN'd lowers I order 4-5 at a time cause the FFL I order from charges $20/box (up to 10 SN's) that way It averages out to $4-$5 per lower. Also I have mainly ordered SN'd lowers from Joe Bob's & any orders over $90 are free S&H so I don't have to pay that either. Until a year ago I didn't have to pay tax either which I would locally. Ended up saving a lot of money like that. Saving money, means more money for more builds, ammo, or whatever.

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
I suppose where this is leading me is into a deep dive on AR15 assembly before I do anything. It simply is not enough to watch a basic assembly video....there must be a ton of nuances here.
I am having difficulty understanding that if all of parts are standard to these rifles then building one from even the least expensive parts should get you something reliable.

Really all I am looking for here is a reliable 1.5 MOA shooter that in a perfect world would also eat steel case ammo.

HK

Again you picked the wrong time to start. Waiting till AFTER the SHTF isn't the time to be buying guns/ammo or other prepper supplies. Putting a basic AR together actually is as easy as watching a video, or a couple of videos. Having a few links with some torque specs handy doesn't hurt either.

·
Semper Fi
8,652 Posts
I suppose where this is leading me is into a deep dive on AR15 assembly before I do anything. It simply is not enough to watch a basic assembly video....there must be a ton of nuances here.
I am having difficulty understanding that if all of parts are standard to these rifles then building one from even the least expensive parts should get you something reliable.

Really all I am looking for here is a reliable 1.5 MOA shooter that in a perfect world would also eat steel case ammo.

HK
I put mine together after watching a basic put your AR together video. It is a lego gun and you are assembeling it...not doing gunsmith work.

Materials still matter, just because the part is the right size means nothing if the metal is chineseium.

You want to spend a bit more to make sure the parts are in spec in all regards...so go PSA. From what I remember reading Radical Firearms is a little cheaper but their bolts have issues.

You SHOULD have just bought the (now out of stock) PSA kit that Straza and I both linked you to.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts

HK

Just buy it and let us know how it is with your steel ammo

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Who said I couldn't afford it? But it's still a cost to be factored in, ESPECIALLY since the OP is trying to build a budget gun & presumably ordering only 1. When I order SN'd lowers I order 4-5 at a time cause the FFL I order from charges $20/box (up to 10 SN's) that way It averages out to $4-$5 per lower. Also I have mainly ordered SN'd lowers from Joe Bob's & any orders over $90 are free S&H so I don't have to pay that either. Until a year ago I didn't have to pay tax either which I would locally. Ended up saving a lot of money like that. Saving money, means more money for more builds, ammo, or whatever.

Listen if you don't understand that shipping, tax, and FFL fees are a given when building and want to play the semantics game of "but it's $20 on a budget build" then you are welcome to have it without my participation.

·
Registered
34,319 Posts
I am having difficulty understanding that if all of parts are standard to these rifles then building one from even the least expensive parts should get you something reliable.no

HK
All AR's do not do well with Steel case in high volume shooting.
Steel is fine for slow fire, plinking etc.
Start doing break contact drills and you'll find out quickly.

That which makes it more accurate makes it less reliable.

·
Semper Fi
8,652 Posts
Yeah, so it's still a COST to be factored in isn't it? Even with your made up "friend" with an FFL.
So is shipping and tax, so not sure why you are on about FFL fees as if they are something special.

My FFL went up from $20 to $25 recently but that's still for as many transfers at a time as I want to do. He will also hold things that are coming in from different sources (within a couple days of each other) and do it as a single transaction.

I have always tried not to buy just a single gun at a time.

·
Semper Fi
8,652 Posts
All AR's do not do well with Steel case in high volume shooting.
Steel is fine for slow fire, plinking etc.
Start doing break contact drills and you'll find out quickly.

That which makes it more accurate makes it less reliable.
Not all steel cased is the same. The lacquer/poly coated stuff gives me problems but I have had zero issues with the zinc coated Silver Bear stuff. It seems to run just as well as brass. It is a LOT harder to find than the regular Wolf/Tula/etc stuff though.

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
So is shipping and tax, so not sure why you are on about FFL fees as if they are something special.

My FFL went up from $20 to $25 recently but that's still for as many transfers at a time as I want to do. He will also hold things that are coming in from different sources (within a couple days of each other) and do it as a single transaction.

I have always tried not to buy just a single gun at a time.

Maybe you should try reading, I HAVE mentioned both tax & S&H as tax wasn't charged online by most companies until last year so you could've saved money there, now more than likely you will take the sales tax hit. Then as I stated before if your order was enough to qualify for free shipping, you'd be saving that too. Don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand that a $20 (or more for some) FFL transfer, another $10-$20 S&H along with the tax is actual money. :xeye: It all adds up, each purchase and even more so if you are doing it like the OP & ordering 1 gun or lower. adding $20 onto a $50 dollar lower is a huge increase. Not to mention if that's all they buy, don't qualify for free S&H then that's probably another $10 at least on to it, so now you have an $80 lower, that's if there's no tax added, pretty big hit if the OP is trying to keep the build under $400. Clearly simple economics is not the strong point of most of the people in this thread & I really don't care how you spend or waste your money thinking FFL transfer fees or S&H charges aren't "real" money. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
An inexpensive AR will likely give you about 5,000 rounds of reliable use. From that point on, it is likely to start wearing. Inexpensive barrels can start keyholing about 5,000. Bolts will start to break as well.
AR's built with higher end parts can get 15,000-20,000 rounds out of a barrel.
If you do not plan to shoot much and do not count on it to be your SHTF rifle, the an inexpensive AR is fine. I would suggest to buy some spare parts when you get a chance.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
$650 puts me into finished rifle territory......if I cant build it in the $400 range all in I would rather buy a complete gun

I do like the PSA stuff though....I have been looking at their site a lot.

HK
You’re a few months late for that $400 window.

HK
There’s not. It’s easy, and the only special thing I’ve bought is the proper wrench for the barrel nut. I have 4 different ones now, because standardization hasn’t been applied to barrel nuts, when free float hand guards are involved.

Buy the PSA upper and lower, and don’t worry about it. Or buy the upper and build a lower, you won’t save much money, but you can get nicer bits like a trigger.

·
Registered
34,319 Posts
Not all steel cased is the same. The lacquer/poly coated stuff gives me problems but I have had zero issues with the zinc coated Silver Bear stuff. It seems to run just as well as brass. It is a LOT harder to find than the regular Wolf/Tula/etc stuff though.
It's definitely better, but not as reliable as brass.

·
Registered
245 Posts

HK
Why are you doing this now, where were you 7-8 months ago when the prices were rock bottom? What good's a AR now when you can't even find ammo for it, let alone paying out the ying yang for it when you do find it? Good Luck

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have pretty good luck find good pricing on things so I am not worried about that.

Last year when these were less expensive I chose to redo all of my food preps.....it took about 3 months or so and honestly buying another gun was not on the top of my mind.

Just saying there is a lot more to prepping that having a giant safe full of guns/

HK

·
Semper Fi
8,652 Posts
I have pretty good luck find good pricing on things so I am not worried about that.

Last year when these were less expensive I chose to redo all of my food preps.....it took about 3 months or so and honestly buying another gun was not on the top of my mind.

Just saying there is a lot more to prepping that having a giant safe full of guns/

HK
No one in this thread has claimed that...yet here you are trying to buy guns.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Indeed I am.

And one of my prepping mistakes for not seeing this whole mess coming down the pike.

I should have been paying more attention.

HK

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Indeed I am.

And one of my prepping mistakes for not seeing this whole mess coming down the pike.

I should have been paying more attention.

HK
Don’t you hate when people beat you up over an acknowledged mistake?:thumb:

Seriously, they aren’t that complicated, and you don’t need a top dollar high speed low drag unit. Get something, then as time passes, you can learn what you need or want to improve.

Buy once cry once only works if you have time and money to play with. Sometimes you need to go with good enough. As long as you understand that’s what it is, that’s not a bad thing.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts