Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are some reviews of these rifles online...not the build themselves but the brand which is Zaviar.

They sometimes run sales that would bring the parts down below $400.

That being said on budget builds like this are the rifles reliable? I will not be running 10000's of rounds through these rifles.....I will practice to keep my skills up....and then have them for self defense.

For what it's worth.....I look at it like owning the cheapest ruger 10/22 if that makes sense.

HK

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
There are some reviews of these rifles online...not the build themselves but the brand which is Zaviar.

That being said on budget builds like this are the rifles reliable? I will not be running 10000's of rounds through these rifles.....I will practice to keep my skills up....and then have them for self defense.

For what it's worth.....I look at it like owning the cheapest ruger 10/22 if that makes sense.

HK

I have no idea about Zaviar, never heard of them so for me that is an unknown.

I'll spend the extra cash for a PSA build knowing they are quality for price performance.

·
Registered
34,382 Posts
It looks like it can be done

Anderson lower $49.95

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/An...ower-Receiver-Closed-p/ander-lower-closed.htm

Build Kit with BCG $379.98

https://www.22mods4all.com/5-56-nat...ride-builder-kit-1-8-twist-12-mlok-handguard/

Total before tax and shipping $429.97

Now I have no clue what parts you are getting with that kit and if they are of decent quality but that is the cheapest build you can make today after I looked everywhere I could think of.
$380 + tax + shipping is very much NOT a $299 kit.

I also wouldn't trust such a kit.

I just bit the bullet and paid $95 ($103.98 shipped) for a dozen bolts from PSA to finish out all the kits I have. I've been playing chicken waiting for prices to fall after the elections, but I blinked first.

PSA is pretty much the minimum quality I'd accept. (Replace the LPK... Theirs sux)

·
Registered
238 Posts
When I plan to use a firearm "for self defense" I do not want the cheapest I can get unless I have no other choice. I own a few PSA AR's and have shot all of them enough to trust them for self defense. Of course I have done some tuning and switching out components on some of them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
22mods4all normally has been the lowest pricing I could find for a full kit minus lower even before COVID19. Sadly, did not order before. Probably just going to hold onto my lowers for now. I have ARs that do what ARs were designed for.. hitting a man sized target at battle distances. My bolt guns do the precise work. Though just for giggles I am going to build a 24 inch AR and a .458 SOCOM AR at some point.

I did run across this. If you are a member or use the 30 day trial memebership ;) , you might squeak in a few dollars lower.

Anderson Lower from Straza's post

$350.99 rifle kit with BCG and CH EDIT: Missed this - $330.99 shipped w/code "GUNSNGEAR"
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...Link&cjevent=fcfaaf5dc11411ea837300770a240611

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My thoughts are that even the budget rifle builds might be reliable. I look at the AR15 as being the small block chevy of the gun world.

I am at least 81.7% sure that these kits have been assembled and tested on a variety of receivers. If they were that unreliable the AR guys would surely let you know.

HK

·
MortarMaggot
3,290 Posts

Anderson lower $49.95

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/An...ower-Receiver-Closed-p/ander-lower-closed.htm

https://www.22mods4all.com/5-56-nat...ride-builder-kit-1-8-twist-12-mlok-handguard/

Now I have no clue what parts you are getting with that kit and if they are of decent quality but that is the cheapest build you can make today after I looked everywhere I could think of.
You also have to remember the FFL transfer fee. At Joe Bobs if you order over $90 of stuff you get free S&H. I bought something from 22mods a while back, don't remember what it was or what shipping was like, but some places can get stupid with S&H and it seems like lately it's getting worse.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
If you don't have a relationship with an FFL and get discounted fees then you are doing it wrong.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts

HK
No that doesn't make sense...as even the cheapest 10/22 is built to the same level of quality as their most expensive model. They tart a few models up but underneath they are still the same.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
22mods4all normally has been the lowest pricing I could find for a full kit minus lower even before COVID19. Sadly, did not order before. Probably just going to hold onto my lowers for now. I have ARs that do what ARs were designed for.. hitting a man sized target at battle distances. My bolt guns do the precise work. Though just for giggles I am going to build a 24 inch AR and a .458 SOCOM AR at some point.

I did run across this. If you are a member or use the 30 day trial memebership ;) , you might squeak in a few dollars lower.

Anderson Lower from Straza's post

$350.99 rifle kit with BCG and CH EDIT: Missed this - $330.99 shipped w/code "GUNSNGEAR"
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...Link&cjevent=fcfaaf5dc11411ea837300770a240611
That's a 300Blk kit.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts

Anderson lower $49.95

Those Anderson lowers are not in stock. They are taking orders against what they expect to get in.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Those Anderson lowers are not in stock. They are taking orders against what they expect to get in.
They were when I posted it, stuff is going fast.

I was looking at the echo trigger on classic firearms and it went from 5 in stock to out of stock in about 45 mins.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Why do you say made up?

I have a FFL buddy who does free transfers for me.
We go to church together and I get him into Gunshows free.
Mine is a $20 flat rate, I picked up 3 items from him last week. That's $6.66 a transfer, but I guess I should have factored that into the cost of the gun to make sure I'm on budget.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I looked back at my PSA order history from 2016, 2017 and 2018. The best I could manage was a build of $349.98, including all items shipped for free and FFL fee distributed between multiple stripped lowers. This price is minus rear sight and magazine.

If you can match that today, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I suppose where this is leading me is into a deep dive on AR15 assembly before I do anything. It simply is not enough to watch a basic assembly video....there must be a ton of nuances here.
I am having difficulty understanding that if all of parts are standard to these rifles then building one from even the least expensive parts should get you something reliable.

Really all I am looking for here is a reliable 1.5 MOA shooter that in a perfect world would also eat steel case ammo.

HK

21 - 40 of 68 Posts