Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know I'll find the answer I'm looking for here.

I am trying to stretch my $$$$$ and do my own AR-15 build.....

100% lowers are about $65 each and I have seen build kits in the $299 range.

To me that makes a budget friendly rifle.....that being said.....I'm pretty much a snob when it comes to firearm accuracy and reliability.

Do these type of budget builds shoot reliably and how accurate can I expect a 16" and 20" AR to be?

Thanks in advance
HK

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Just look for a PSA upper with the lower kit and a striped lower. You should be able to find it in the 650 range. I'll look when I get a chance

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$650 puts me into finished rifle territory......if I cant build it in the $400 range all in I would rather buy a complete gun

I do like the PSA stuff though....I have been looking at their site a lot.

HK

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Hey guys,

I know I'll find the answer I'm looking for here.

I am trying to stretch my $$$$$ and do my own AR-15 build.....

100% lowers are about $65 each and I have seen build kits in the $299 range.

To me that makes a budget friendly rifle.....that being said.....I'm pretty much a snob when it comes to firearm accuracy and reliability.

Do these type of budget builds shoot reliably and how accurate can I expect a 16" and 20" AR to be?

Thanks in advance
HK
Prices have gone up in the last few months. I don't think you could build a $300 AR currently...last year...yes.

Yes they are accurate and reliable. AR parts are a commodity product these days.

You should expect. 2.5 MOA or better with quality ammunition.

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
Check CDNN for build kits. With the recent announcement by Remington that they're scrapping the Bushmaster and DPMS product lines, CDNN (and maybe other sellers) has been advertising quite a mix of kits and complete guns.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Check CDNN for build kits. With the recent announcement by Remington that they're scrapping the Bushmaster and DPMS product lines, CDNN (and maybe other sellers) has been advertising quite a mix of kits and complete guns.
When looking keep in mind most of those kits on CDNN do not come with a bolt and sometimes charging handle as well. So that's an extra $100 or so you have to lay out.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Prices have gone up in the last few months. I don't think you could build a $300 AR currently...last year...yes.

Yes they are accurate and reliable. AR parts are a commodity product these days.

You should expect. 2.5 MOA or better with quality ammunition.
You got that right. The 11.5" pistol kit I bought a few months ago for $480 is now $610.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
You got that right. The 11.5" pistol kit I bought a few months ago for $480 is now $610.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-12-slant-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit-5165450476.html

$429.00 on October 4th

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-12-slant-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit-5165450476.html

$429.00 on October 4th
Yeah priices were edging up even when I bought. And PSA does a LOT more 10.5" kits than 11.5". I did the 11.5" version, which I think is the shortest a 5.56 should go for anything other than point blank use. 10.5 would work but the extra inch makes things easier on the action and does give more oomph to the bullet.

Your link is out of stock or was it just an example?

I still want the OP to tell us where he is seeing complete build kits for $299.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Those are some decent deals for current prices.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Yeah priices were edging up even when I bought. And PSA does a LOT more 10.5" kits than 11.5". I did the 11.5" version, which I think is the shortest a 5.56 should go for anything other than point blank use. 10.5 would work but the extra inch makes things easier on the action and does give more oomph to the bullet.

Your link is out of stock or was it just an example?

I still want the OP to tell us where he is seeing complete build kits for $299.

Yeah my pistol is out stock now, I like 10.5 for conceal-ability.

Fits in a mandolin bag with a 10 round mag and room for 3-4 30 round mags and no one is the wiser.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts