Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets start a list.
Lets see how many things we can come up with that are currently inexpensive but are difficult to impossible to make by hand. Things like needles, thread, matches,sunglasses,.22 ammo, etc.
I think we often get caught up in the big, expensive, gear we "need''. Lets focus on the small stuff that we should be buying by the pallet load.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Lets start a list.
Lets see how many things we can come up with that are currently inexpensive but are difficult to impossible to make by hand. Things like needles, thread, matches,sunglasses,.22 ammo, etc.
I think we often get caught up in the big, expensive, gear we "need''. Lets focus on the small stuff that we should be buying by the pallet load.
Pens and pencils. And paper.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
What I tried to do in order to come up with a list was to imagine this scenario: You and a friend or two have some raw materials (wood & stones) you need to build a reasonably comfortable, permanent shelter, and you may even have a generator with some gasoline. What are the other things you might need, that normally are easily available, but which you and your buddies have not not have stockpiled? These are the things that might come in really handy, that have an incredibly long shelf life, that might also be very valuable for barter, and that won't bankrupt you in case TS never HTF and you're stuck with whatever you bought.

I came up with: Tarps, plastic sheeting, aluminum foil, plastic baggies, antiseptic oinment, wool sweaters & pants (cheap if bought used), sewing supplies, caulking, hand saws & trowels (and other non-electric tools), light bulbs (very cheap at the dollar store), string/twine, electrical extension cords, PVC pipe, assorted nails...& other stuff I can't think of.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
62 Posts
Butane lighters, flashlight bulbs (so switch to LED), aluminum foil. My wife & kids made paper by hand when we homeschooled, but it wasn't anything you'd want to try to put through a printer. Something to study up on!

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
A couple of books on how to do type of things. Metal working, medical , build a house, how to build wind power type of process, Bible, etc..

Reactions: Freja and joes
1 - 20 of 58 Posts