Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't shopped for any .30 cal reloading bullets in a while. I am shooting more 30-06 than ever and my supply is dwindling. Anyone have a good source? Looking for 147-150 gr. I don't need match grade and wouldn't turn my nose up at pulled bullets either.

·
Always Loaded
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried them twice and their page won't load properly. Furthermore, I've never found great deals there personally.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
If I remember right hornady makes some cheaper 150ish grain 30cal projectiles. I think I was looking at $15/100 and a $30/100 packs. It might have been at Natchez but I don’t remember right now.

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
I've bought bulk Hornady .308 150gr FMJ bullets from Grafs and Sons for $0.20 a bullet. I believe I've seen Speer 150gr soft points on Midway around the same cost.

·
Always Loaded
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a good link. $133 per K shipped. I have never loaded many pull-downs. Are they typically acceptable accuracy wise? Most will be fed to my Garands and
'03 Springfield.

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
That is a good link. $133 per K shipped. I have never loaded many pull-downs. Are they typically acceptable accuracy wise? Most will be fed to my Garands and
'03 Springfield.
What's your criteria for acceptable accuracy? Any Garand or Springfield in good shape should be able to hold 3-4 MOA all day long. The pull-downs I've used in the past haven't been that bad. You might get a few that are chewed up a but but for the most part for plinking I don't worry about them.

·
reluctant sinner
16,865 Posts
165 - 168gr BT would be my choice. As a kid I shot away a 5 gallon collet bucket of pulled 172-3 gr miltary bullets in an Savage -06.

When those were gone I shot away a 5 gallon bucket of pulled tracers. I would light one with a propane torch, set the torch down and butt the next one into the burning one and throw the burning one into a bucket of water - rinse and repeat.

All those bullets were a penny apiece, and loaded with H-4831 I bought in a paper sack at the grocery store for $2/#. Primers were about $5/M

Shot tons of cast bullets with Unique or H-4895

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
OP post implies cheap bullets for plinking. 168s would be my choice as well for competition but for general effing around plinking, cheap is fine.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I stock piled a lot of hunting projectiles prior to retiring. I mould projectiles and tend to shoot those most often for plinking and target. I suggest looking a moulding. You can always purchase a few lead projectiles to see if you like them. I keep my cast projectiles around 2000 fps max with a gas check and 1200 fps without. Not all rounds need to pushed balls to the wall.

·
Always Loaded
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stock piled a lot of hunting projectiles prior to retiring. I mould projectiles and tend to shoot those most often for plinking and target. I suggest looking a moulding. You can always purchase a few lead projectiles to see if you like them. I keep my cast projectiles around 2000 fps max with a gas check and 1200 fps without. Not all rounds need to pushed balls to the wall.
I cast quite bit, but mostly for my handgun calibers. I've only toyed with cast .30 cal. I have a Lyman 180 gr FP mold. I tried a few and accuracy was terrible in my 30-06's, but the same bullet loaded in .308 shot quite well. I have been shooting them plain base with PC, as I've never messed with gas checks. I will revisit it eventually, but want to have a pile of standard ball on hand.

I do have quite a few 168 and 175 gr match grade bullets from Berger and Sierra for serious work. Not the kind of projectiles you want to take out a blast 75 rds of in a sitting.

·
Retired and luvin it!
922 Posts
Besides casting and places like Missouri Bullets - https://missouribullet.com/results.php?category=6&secondary=36

Other options might be plated bullets (have a bunch from a few years ago but haven't tapped into them after taking up powder coating my cast bullets.

For pulls I've had great results from or even RMR - https://www.rmrbullets.com/product-category/bullets/rifle/308-7-62mm/ - haven't ordered anything from them in a while but good folks.

Another option which is more hit & miss is SPS which sells new as well as blemished or factory seconds. A few years back I picked up several season's worth of blemished which was no more than discolored/tarnished and they shot fine in both my 308 and 300BO. Same with the .224s

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading-reloading-bullets.html

Like goat_daddy I'll be retired shortly (next month) and have been laying in a good supply of components to refill in my "leisure hours". Well, that and several hundred pounds of lead to cast ;)

HTH
CW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts