Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any knowledge of these? I believe it's an AR-7S because it's a silver finish. Has a charter arms branded scope mount with it and is in excellent condition. Can't seem to find a value on it. I see a lot of the black model but no silver for sale and none with a scope mount

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it pretty much for free so I'll probably hold onto it forever simply because it's neat. I was just unsure of value because I couldn't find one like it for sale.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I purchased a black version many years ago at a decent price.

I was lucky, and except for a few cartridges with truncated bullets, it shoots reliably without jamming. I even took out a few grouse with it on a moose hunt.

I know someone else who had one in camo and it jammed frequently, so your mileage may vary. I would suggest trying it out, so at least you'll know whether you can rely upon it or not when needed.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
I had one in black for a number of years. I think I paid $60 or $70 bucks for it new at the time.

Mine seemed to work OK. Only thing I rember being an issue with it was, if you didn't pull the side plate and occasionally flush the insides out, it would start to shoot in bursts.

That, and you might want to watch putting the butt cap back on if the gun has been out in the cold. Mine cracked along the edge and wouldn't stay tight after that.

Mine was accurate enough, but nothing spectacular.

They were made by a couple of different companies over the years, and seem to be hit or miss as to whether you got one that worked or not.

·
Pusher of brooms
521 Posts
I remember something said about them that made some sense.

Think of them as a straight pull rifle that might self operate.

Easier to shoot than a pistol for most, there are worse options.

·
Retired Army
5,529 Posts
If you are looking for a reliable 22 self loader look elsewhere IMHO. They are light, compact, float and jam.
I must be lucky. I have never had any that jammed any more than any other semi automatic .22. I have owned several and have a Henry right now.

And, accurate. 5 shots at 35 yards.

Just sayin'.

Al

Reactions: Canadian Prepster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I haven't had any reliability issues from it with about 75 rounds plinking at the creek. Seems to cycle fine without jams or stovepipes. The action seems a bit slow and heavy but no issues with accuracy or reliability. I just really thought it was neat and I'd only ever seen them in black and a camo Henry model, not like this silver finish. This is a charter arms from the late 70s I was told but all I actually know is the brand. Again it was free to me so it's going to stay in my collection of 22 rifles. I really appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Way back in the day I bought a new late 70's Charter Arms model AR-7. I have found that it functions more reliably with a high velocity ammunition. The CCI stingers function well. If you are having jamming issues with your AR-7 try the High Velocity ammo or try a new magazine.

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts
They are more than accurate for what they are. They are finicky with ammo choices, but once you find the ones they like they are GTG. They don’t take to optics well and they loose their compactness with them.

The real issue is they are really no more compact than a 22LR semi auto pistol. Without the compactness edge they don’t offer enough to outway their cons.

FWIW I own a 70’s vintage one.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
As long as you understand what they are for, and dont think they are a "general purpose", constant use type gun, youll probably be OK, assuming you have one that works reliably enough for its intended use.

These are like the Kel Tec's that followed them, and meant to be an emergency use type gun that gets packed away in your truck, plane, boat, whatever, and forgotten until needed.

They arent meant to be a 10/22, or something similar, thats built to hold up to regular and moderate to steady use.

If you look closely at them, and take off the side plate and look at how they are made and what the parts look like, you get a good idea pretty quick that they arent something thats going to probably hold up very well to constant use.

·
Registered
756 Posts
after they get dirty, they tend to multiple fire. however, have one in the airplane they will kill squirrels(headshot) at 25 yd, so a goood survival piece(would prefer a 10/22 td though

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Anyone have any knowledge of these? I believe it's an AR-7S because it's a silver finish. Has a charter arms branded scope mount with it and is in excellent condition. Can't seem to find a value on it. I see a lot of the black model but no silver for sale and none with a scope mount
It has no value unless you are in need of a good trot-line weight.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
I have a newer Henry and an old Charter Arms. AK103K has the same issues I do, but flushing mine doesn’t fix the 2 round burst I get. It shoots on reset, quite often. I’ve tried swapping in parts from the Henry, but they aren’t the same spec, so no help there.

Value on the Henry is about $200, prices are stupidly higher, and the CA is worth maybe $100, unless you find a collector willing to go more for your special version with the scope mount. The CA is not built as well as the Henry, and the Henry carries spare mags in the butt.

The ONLY positive thing I have to say about the AR7 design is, it floats, and generally works. Nothing else is very good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought a used one years ago for $100. It works OK for what it is. Mine stays in the trunk on my truck for emergency use only.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It has none. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts