Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s been a few questions around the various survival and prep forums, about how one would handle refugees, beggars and overall charity after TSHTF.

It’s been years since this because a problem here so I’ll just tell how things happened in my country and how I’ve been handling these kind of situations.

With a large portion of the middle class turning poor and the already poor people becoming derelicts, the amount of people roaming around begging increased tremendously.

It’s not just people outside supermarkets begging for some food, they go home to home, stop you on the street.

Maybe you’ve already noticed an increasing number of people begging or panhandling outside supermarkets, grocery stores and gas stations.
Tip: Just wait until it gets worse and managers notice clients don’t feel comfortable there anymore. They’ll have security kicking them out before they get close to the establishment.

On the street, even if you are a charitable person, you really do NOT want to get used to stopping and listening to any beggar you come across. Not only will you be loosing a couple hours of your day when the amount of beggars increases, most of them with very tragic stories, but you’ll also turn yourself into a favorite target of any criminal that is just looking to distract you while an accomplice hits you over the head or stanches you bag/purse/pack/briefcase.

But what about people going door to door?
As things gets worse this turns into something you have to deal with, you just can’t avoid people standing at your door and start ringing the bell.

Here’s where fact and fiction part ways.

In an ideal world, we would all hand out some kind of help to these poor souls, at least a bit to each as long as we can afford it.

Fact: Even Bill Gates can’t afford the endless line he’d face at his door front once the word gets around that a particular charitable person is willing to listen to their troubles and offer some help.

Old people, kids, cripples, sick, people with true heart braking stories, they show up almost on daily basis at the door. Add to these sincere people, those that are just bums or addicts looking to make some coin, or the dedicated con men that send kids around asking for money.

You do not have time to help everyone. There’s so many of them, just listening to half of them will take most of your weekend.

The way I handle it?

Most of the time I don’t even answer the door if I don’t recognize who’s out there.
I want to spend time with my family when I’m home, not answer the door all day.
In some occasions, when there are kids, I offer them some food.
If they refuse the food I know that they are not that hungry and more than likely the money isn’t even for them, but for some addict parent or relative that exploits them.

I should mention here as well, that as the old saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished. So IF I answer the door, I’m doing so armed, and talking through the grating metal fence, since many times kids are used as bait for grownups to brake in.

I usually end up with boxes of chocolates and sweets neither of us actually likes, and that’s what I usually end up giving away to the kids. Either that or some pudding cake, or some other food they can eat right there, before getting home where the parent will more than likely take it away form them for himself or to sell.

If I helped a kid one day and the following they other show up, I either tell them that I can’t help or I don’t even answer the door. That way I avoid a reputation and the constant bagging that would come along with it.

This is a touchy issue and religion and the “Christian thing to do” comes into play, but unless you realize how many desperately poor people are out there, you really don’t know how impossible it is, to help everyone.

Once you realize the magnitude of the social poverty, you understand like I do that you can’t help everyone.

It’s much better to refuse this kind of begging that could get out of control, and find other ways to help if that what you want to do.

Once or twice a year, I take the clothes we don’t use anymore to the small local Catholic church.
There they make sure the most needy families get what they need, and the charity is distributed much better among those that need it the most.

So, watch out who you answer your door to, don’t open it unless you have another barrier (tall fence) or else deal through a window, give out charity only occasionally, NEVER give them money, no matter what story they come up with ( need meds for my dieing son among others I’ve heard) and if possible give away food that can be eaten right away.

FerFAL

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think as for me, I'll do what I can, albeit with extreme caution. After that, I've just gotta tell 'em I've run out. I'll help, but I just can't let my family starve, so yeah my charity will have its limits.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
I have noticed that the homeless are becoming increasinly aggresive around here in Texas when you don't give them money. I used to but I don't anymore ever since I found out about all the programs available to help them...they don't want food cause I've seen them leave it at the curb.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm a pretty charitable guy. I'm a catholic, and my mother taught me that it's our Christian duty to help people.

But my charity has limits. I don't take kindly to old guys that have been begging all their lives.

I'll help once, and maybe twice if your a friend or a family member. I'll let you know that from the start.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
Good post, its def. gonna be hard times and its always hard turning people away who need help, but family comes first. Desperate times equals desperate people, extreme caution and scrutiny in all situations is best.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I copied and posted my response to a similar thread from the other day:

My grandmother used to tell me "Neither a lender nor a borrower be." As many other have pointed out, people will use you for what they can get from you. I have helped many people in my life--including those I have trusted. Not all of them will burn you. But the ones that do will be the ones closest to you.

I used to be a compasionate person. I still am to some degree, however I am more empathetic than sympathetic. Above all though, I am a realist. I know that I cannot help the masses after TSHTF. Logistically and finacially it is just not possible. My hands would be full with those that I would be inclined to help.

Would I help someone post SHTF if their life was in immediate danger? Absolutely. A lone child? Without a doubt. Just because? Hell no.

Just because one does not have a lot of money, does not mean one cannot prepare. I am not a very dogmatic person, but a long time ago somone named Jesus said something very wise:

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."

Best of luck to you!

Ferfal makes a very good security involving children. People are ruthless and there are enough of them out there that would not twink twice before exploiting a child. Probably would be best not to open the door unless you know them or are expecting someone. Just tell them to move on.

Post it even--like the "no jobs available in this town" signs that were erected during the Great Depression. They were put up in order to keep the roving umemployed moving on through the town.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It is going to become more and more difficult for charities and churches to raise money. I sit on more than one board and I can tell you that the average donor to all charities is a 55 year old white woman. Too many of the folks in that group are now in financial trouble. You are looking at a Boomer or older individual. Churches can't keep up with needs now. Wait six months.

The middle class has funded charitable causes for years since right after WW2. It may be a case of good luck in the future. I will continue to do what I can because that is the way I was raised. WE do what our parents did and not what they said. That is what our kids will do.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
Would I help someone post SHTF if their life was in immediate danger? Absolutely. A lone child? Without a doubt. Just because? Hell no.

Just because one does not have a lot of money, does not mean one cannot prepare. I am not a very dogmatic person, but a long time ago somone named Jesus said something very wise:

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he eats for a lifetime."
Feel the same here. I don't open the door now for anyone i don't know let alone if i lived in a large urban area. Right now the only door to door people that are getting annoying is the Obama " vote for me or else" supporters that go around knocking on everyone's door! TSHTF and post event its to large of a security risk to open the door to unknowns. BUT most folks with a well laid out shtf plan SHOULD ROE in place, and folks knocking on the front door shouldn't be happening at all. Unless of course your just winging it day to day due to improper planning.....or the event isn't that bad:thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Charity starts at home, I am having a hard enough time to just plan and prepare for my family, never mind trying to factor in other people that for whatever reason did not do as I did.
That's a hard line, which is not how I lived my life up to this point, for the most part I have been a pushover when it comes to lending a helping hand.
I think that if someone came to me after shtf, they needed a meal and then go on their way, I could not say no. If they needed long term help, it would have to be decided on a individual basis, it would depend on what they can bring to the table. One might have a skillset or tools that would blend well with what my situation requires. I don't know, really it is a hard to comprehend saying no to people that are hungry or have no shelter. Let's hope that it does not get to that degree.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
after the SHTF.......

keeping in mind I live in a small town and we dont have beggers.......

we do have many who live on fixed incomes and tight budgets......but the good thing about my town........everyone helps out........
before anyone goes crazy with my statements hear me out.......

my community is mostly comprised of relatives........for example....

my cousin Peter went fishing last week (squid jigging actually) he caught over 100 squid... he gave us 5, he kept 20 for himself and distributed the rest to other folks around the community.

An uncle (not really but has always been called uncle Alias since I was a kid) anyhoo he is a scollop diver, when diving by law you are allowed 100 scallops per person on the boat....... he takes people out and charges 5 bux for gas and he gets you 100 scallops not bad if you ask me...it covers his gas and his air for his tanks....

I dont feel my community will be hard up for food

and folks wont ask for money around here because they know everyone else is in the same boat..

everyone helps out because its mostly family.......

just my POV from my community

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I think the soup kitchens and the homeless shelters serve a good purpose. But then again we are treating these people like they are on welfare.

We need to continue these avenues for as long as we can, but we also need to look to alternative living conditions that allow the homeless to take responsibility for their livelyhoods.

Most cities have an area they call tent cities. This gives the homeless a place to establish a home place. It may be a car, tent or a big box. It will still be their home.

Now we need to provide a way for these people to grow their own food. Set up a large garden area with water and seeds available. People who work and grow their own food feel so much better about them selves. Some even see a better future for themselves.

We should be giving these people a hand UP and out of this situation, not keep them down.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Before anything else, you must care for your family first.

Do you know how long the (theoretical) downturn or emergency will last, I DOUBT IT. Therefore you must conserve as much of what you have for as long as you can. That means no hand outs.

There were some homeless people in the next large town. If the cops see them they get arrested and out to work in something in exchange for food. Guess what? All the homeless here left town because they didn't want to have to work menial labor jobs for food.

Now they are in the larger cities and they sit on the corner with the "will work for food " signs and never do a thing.

There was a fellow in Salisbury NC who would sit at the entrance to the Webb Road Flea Market with a cute little sign. People always handed him money until one day someone posted a sign that said "Don't give to this beggar he lives in an apartment in town and does this for extra money. He works at XXXXX during the week."

Im not saying they will all like that but most of them are and will be.

If you have to give to someone who claims to be homeless PLEASE do it quietly in a way that cannot be traced back to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tugger, that is exactly the type of community to live in. You want to be in a group/community of people that are like minded. You guys in Eastern Canada have always lived like that, your fortunate, I'm just outside of Toronto where it is the complete opposite.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I enjoy being helpful, buuuttt....

Afew years ago a bunch of us got together and set up a community garden in town. We all chipped in a bought heirloom seeds (very expensive) begged the town board for a piece of land near a water source, and then posted that anyone who helped with the community garden would get a share. We offered classes in preparing the soil, planting, weeding, wild edibles that grow in the garden, dehydrating and canning. We did this all on our own time and at our own expense. We thought if we could help out the less fortunate to learn to grow some of their own food then we'd move up to small livetock like chickens and we'd all chip in a buy a few chickens for poorer people.

Our first year we had two families join up and only one do any helping. At the end of the year, with all the canning done, the churches came and asked if they could have the food. We gave as much as the one family that help wanted to them and gave the rest to the churches with a flyer that said next year we would do the same and only give food to those who helped. The same family joined next year but no others. At the end of the year the churches came and asked for the food but we said no. We gave all of it to the one family. The next year we chipped in and bought the family 5 chickens and helped them build a coup and gave them instructions on how to raise chickens for eggs and meat. They now have a small flock of around 10 chickens that go to feeding themselves and they grow their own garden.

Everyone else in town just seemd to want the free food without working for it. I kind of gave up on charity then. Then I'm from a small town and we don't have too many people who don't have someone to take care of them if times got rough.

I guess I wouldn't mind helping out feeding people but I still think they would have to work for it. Maybe cleaning up after a football game at the school or helping to keep the parks cleaned or something that helps the town.

If it was personal, like someone actually found my front door, I MIGHT, and that's a big might, help someone who chopped some wood or weeded the garden. More than likely though I'd show him/her how to make a willow fishing pole and have them go down to the Mississippi and catch themselves some fish.

I wouldn't have a problem helping out if someone said their hay needs to be gathered up before the next storm or they needed some help getting the animals down into the far pasture. That's what neighbors do. But begging at the door for something for nothing does bother me. If they're not willing to work at least a little then I wonder how far they are off from killing me and taking everything I have.

Tury

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I am all for the hand up not a hand out school of thought. And I am sorry I can't help anyone else out, I have two small children they will always come first, even before I eat they will eat. I had this discussion with a like minded friend last night and asked what they would do about their brother in law and sister in law, who has two boys. She said that they have been warned and continue to live high off the hog and though as much as it will break their heart they will turn them away. I read this saying once, "Trust in God that your camel doesn't wander away but also use the common sense God gave you to tie that camel up."

And tramp art from the 20s and 30s has become very collectable. These are trinkets that the hobos would make and sell...also keep in mind that the tramps of the depression would leave markers at houses (they would arrange rocks or mark fences) where charity was given out...so do it once and you will have people coming around nonstop.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I too will give or help if it is absolutly necessary. My children and myself saw a woman pick up food that someone had thrown at her and eat it. She was holding a sigh that said will work for food, she was skinny and desperate. We had just been to Sam's Club and bought $300.00+ of food, I felt that she was truly in need. I stopped at the corner and gave her a case (4 cans) of boneless salmon and a box of crckers. She asked me if there was anything she could do for me (work that I needed her to do)? I said no she said "God bless you"-I think that some people do fall on hard times, our local food banks are empty and they can no longer help. People are loosing there jobs and starving, I will do what I feel God leads me to do as long as I can do it.

For those that take advantage of me, it will not happen again.

Another poster mentioned tent cities, they are not allowed here-no boxes tents or abandoned cars or buildings (they have been taring down old buildings that have not been in operation within the past 24 months). There are only 2 small shelters (serving 25 each) for 100's of homeless.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I am sorry but though I think it is very kind of you all that you do help people in 'need' I just can't buy into it. There was a woman who use to pan handle in the subway in Toronto. She was called the Bulgarian Beauty Queen because she wore a crown and a sash...totally loopy and a piece of the urban landscape. Everyone thought she was nuts and poverty striken. Well, that was until she died...she owned a condo in the most expensive area in town and had $200 000+ in the bank and was scamming welfare on top of it. Many people make this their full time job, get benifits, housing, food stamps ect etc while YOU all pay taxes. And I wish I could tell you that the aforementioned story was a one off...but its not.

I am sorry if you are a single mother with 5 kids by 5 different fathers, are a crack head, hooker or what not. But it is not for me to support your lifestyle. At what point do you make people accountable for their decisions and behaviors? There is too huge of a social net out there to help these people. In fact they are better off than most of us, at least here in Canada they are. I don't have dental coverage but hey if I was on welfare I would, in addition to a free bus pass, get a house for $100 a month, get clothing and housing allowance, my kids would get huge Christmas baskets, I would get free furniture and household items (I see them walking through walmart making their lists and welfare pays for it - then these people return the items and buy wiis and play stations and big screen tvs) We make it so comfortable and easy for them that they have no motivation to work. They have programs where welfare will pay for you to go back to school...people don't take advantage of it. They just pop another puppy or claim depression or a fictional back issue if pressed to get their act together.

I think a thinnning of the herd wouldn't be such a bad thing. Sounds harsh but it is done in every other species on the planet. Maybe then we could see some positive growth on the planet.

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
Let me explain wants maybe going to happen. You see the U.S. has more people who expect you and I to take care of them. Last night I went to get Mothers meds at the store, the young man and girl who checked out ahead of me used a Lonestar card. I heard him tell one of his buddies that his disablity is he's got a learning disabity. Yet he drives a 4x4 pickup anyone would love to have, the 4 wheelers in the backwere nice too. These types of people will riot when the money slows down or stops.:cool:

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
or zombie off the suckers

·
Registered
327 Posts
Guess I've just seen too many folks taking advantage of charity and hand outs. Some folks from our church went to give out turkeys for the needy. One house they went to had 7, yes, you read that right, 7 huge turkeys on their front porch. These "poor" folks left them to thaw and rot on the front porch because they didn't have room for them in the freezer. . .you would think they would have given them away or tried to cook them or something. What a waste. If you do plan to give, do it with discretion and screen the applicants first. It's been my experience that the real needy are often too embarassed to ask for a handout and the ones out begging are looking for money to support their addictions.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts