Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all apologies if already discussed....

thinking today about how my 4 year old would react to possibly being holed up in the house for hours on end.

We only allow the TV to be on on Friday's right now, but in a situation where power is out, and the wife and I need to focus on protecting the house or working, I'm more than fine in letting her watch a Disney movie on my wife's little laptop.

So the question, no electricity, is there an affordable solar charger (or other method*) out there that people would recommend, or have used, to keep phones and mini laptops charged?

thanks in advance!

*i know next to nothing about electricity, but i'm talking even so far as using a car battery and inverter, etc*

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
depending on what has happened no electronics may work, so I would consider getting the kid off of electronics......

you can use an inverter off a car battery to charge it, or you can get a charger/power supply that will work off of the car battery voltage fo rmost units...........

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
There are a bunch of different solar chargers on the market specifically aimed at the laptop crowd. I'd suggest googling through a few to see if you find something that meets your needs. They range in price from surprisingly affordable to downright scary.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Seriously?!

Sorry to be ****y tonight, but jeez - if you're THAT worried, why don't you introduce your kid to the things we had when we were growing up. A bike, DIRT, matchbox cars, cards, board games, etc...

..Wow. Charging a laptop for child entertainment Post-SHTF. That takes the cake tonight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My husband and I have talked about this a little bit....we don't have kids at home, but we figure the internet will still be there if things go bad. Most people may not have it due to our currency being worthless, or no electricity. But if we did have a way to generate some electricity, it would be a good way to look at news sites and try and keep up with what's going on...as well as possible communication.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I bought a inverter at *****shack for $40 - does the job, Ive seen them cheaper since.
And yeah, there is a lot of reason to have a laptop/notebook post shtf.

going to look at solar next, *****shack has do it yourself kits.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
All laptops work off batteries, even when pluged into the wall the power is converted and/or reduced to the battery strength. none are house hold electrical.

On the other hand get a grip, try a cardboard box they entertain a kid for hours. They call them forts. :whip:

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
Seriously?!

Sorry to be ****y tonight, but jeez - if you're THAT worried, why don't you introduce your kid to the things we had when we were growing up. A bike, DIRT, matchbox cars, cards, board games, etc...

..Wow. Charging a laptop for child entertainment Post-SHTF. That takes the cake tonight.
This was my first reaction...however, I re-read the post, and I agree w/ the OP.

They're already rationing TV (which is a good thing IMO). What they need is a way to distract or if you will, babysit the child while they do something that needs their undivided attention.

Reactions: RollTideRoll12

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
plus we can expand on a Idea, were not all with such small minds as some.
Maybe all some people know how to do is surf. I have 2TB
of info on 3 passports I'd really like to access after the bombs!

·
The Scorpion
171 Posts
So the question, no electricity, is there an affordable solar charger (or other method*) out there that people would recommend, or have used, to keep phones and mini laptops charged?

thanks in advance!
Check ebay for the XO OLPC laptop. It's the One Laptop Per Child laptop that had the "give one get one" deal. It's a hand crank charge model made for kids in third world countries. They were super cheap and are able to run Linux or WinXP.

·
That's "Ma'am" to you
2,854 Posts
Depends on the scenario. In our personal SHTF situations the internet was still there. In the couple of hours at night that we ran the generator we charged the laptops and ran the dsl modem. Yes, we even ran the TV and directv box so we could have a little entertainment and watch the news.

We also have games and educational things for the kids for the computer.

I don't see any reason you couldn't do this with solar. Lots of solar battery chargers out there.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
I have thought about getting a laptop to use for storing survival information, running map programs, retreiving information from CDs, DVDs etc..

However, I would start here http://www.laptoppartsnow.com/power-car.html?gcw=1&gclid=CJTw3Zig-KkCFQ9VgwoddlJn8A . I allready have a Harbor Freight setup with a six deep cycle marine battery bank.
As medicineball previously wrote he has one battery.

If you desire to get a set of the H.F. solar pannels, they come with their own charge controller which has a 12 volt cigarette lighter type recepticle, and two 5 watt lamps which are kinda cool, but I digress.

Here is a coupon code to get the H.F. set for $149.99 plus shipping, 59349332 valid thru 9/1/2011. If you want a free 9 LED flashlight use this code 36429462 also valid thru 9/1/2011.

I know some folks here have a problem with buying the Harbor Freight stuff, others do not, I have had no problems so far, but I have only had them for about a year and a half.

Just a bit of information for you to digest, good luck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Uhhh, has nobody here ever heard of a Honda generator? I'm pretty sure that gasoline will still be combustible after SHTF. And, it has many other handy uses.

Mike

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Hey O.W.

You can get a 1TB hard drive at walmart for under a hundred bucks, It's unbelievable hard to fill a 1TB hard drive.
and you can plug it into anything and it will work.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Uhhh, has nobody here ever heard of a Honda generator? I'm pretty sure that gasoline will still be combustible after SHTF. And, it has many other handy uses.

Mike
We are well aware of the flamable properties of gasoline pre or post SHTF.

The question is availability of resupply.

I have two generators with a good supply of gasoline, however it is not an infinite supply.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,933 Posts
Two of my sons left a bunch of motorcycle parts when they moved out. I am thinking of taking one of the alternators and making a bicycle generator. I just retired and saw how much they were selling for on Amazon. There are all sorts of plans out there for DIY. I am just not sure how much electricity a four year old can generate but at least he could get a little exercise while he watches the movie. Years ago there were plans in Popular Mechanics for a small TV that was powered by a bicycle. The author made the kids take turns pedaling if they wanted to watch TV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts