Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tose who have vehicles like motorcycles, mopeds, atv,etc.
The cold has a nasty habit of killing battery power.
It dawned on me the other day to check my motorcycle battery to see if it would start. Sure enough it was deader than a door nail.

if you have alt-transportation. you need to check it for use because you dont need to be caught flat footed in an emergency!

This is simple advice but one many overlook!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Battery tenders are the way to go. I have hard mounted pig tails on all of my cars, motorcycles and boat. On my boat and Hummer H1, I have even installed a solar panel to trickle charge the batteries. If you plan, there is no reason to ever have a dead battery again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never understood the need for tenders unless for very cold temperatures. Never used one on my bikes, never had a dead battery. I always check the health of my batteries regularly though and replace when they are weary.

If you need a tender either your battery is worn out or you have an electrical leak somewhere 🤷‍♂️ Longest I've had bikes sit is a couple months though

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,681 Posts
I've got a trickle charger/desulfator that I use on all my batteries. My Harley has a constant draw from the radio so I'll trickle it every so often.

Right before the cold weather hit Texas, I charged all my batteries (bike, golf cart and deep cell for my trailer)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Found out long ago that my batteries last much longer using a battery tender ( not to be confused with a trickle charger).
Lawn mower quads bike all benefit.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I use 7 battery tenders. They only cost $25 each. They are attached to everything that is battery start (except the daily drivers): Three bikes, an ATV, two zero turns and a generator.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight one and it really works great. I must have had something go wrong on my Harley Ultra. The new fangle battery type (Gel Type) was under 10 Volts and wouldn't take a charge. Harley has a special charger and you have to bring it to them they told me. So I Fooled the Smart battery tender by hooking up a Lithium Battery Jumper to the bike t told the smart charger I had 12.9 volts and it started charging left it on until I was above 11 Volts on the battery and took off the Jump starter and it finished charging to 13.5 Volts
These new style jump starters are small enough and hold enough power to jump start more than a few cars.
I left some lights on my diesel truck and it even jump started the Diesel. They also keep their charge for a long time.
Crazy not to keep one in every vehicle and I even showed my wife how to use the one I got for her, Saved her butt at the train station too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
According to some old timers advice when i was a teen 30 yrs ago,, a dead or discharged battery can freeze more easily than a charged battery.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
checked my bike battery yesterday - 0.0 volts, I was speechless ... seeing if I can recover it now, but not holding my breath. had a battery tender for it, 10 feet away - just figured in a few months it would not be an issue ... hmmm

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,681 Posts
According to some old timers advice when i was a teen 30 yrs ago,, a dead or discharged battery can freeze more easily than a charged battery.
That is correct! They can and will freeze and when you charge them, they'll blow up. That's why when you're jumping another car, you put the negative to the frame and not the terminal. That cuts down the chances of it blowing acid all over you. Same reason why you never stand over either battery when jumping or charging

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bring the batteries inside for the winter and hook up one to a battery tender then move the tender to the next battery every couple of days through the five months of winter we have here. The batteries seem to be lasting 2 to 3 years longer than they did before doing that.

·
Doin it Southern Style
985 Posts
Hard wired pig tails on both bikes for the battery tender. They get plugged up when parked for the winter. Batteries last longer also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts