Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The end is,,,,,
9,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there still a movement to use this as a prepper channel? I been out of the loop a while... With the chance of a possible SIP situation I figure I better get back to the comm side of things.

·
Rustler of jimmies
363 Posts
Is there still a movement to use this as a prepper channel? I been out of the loop a while... With the chance of a possible SIP situation I figure I better get back to the comm side of things.
Comm's should always be an integral part of your well rounded preps. Focusing on one aspect will leave you high and dry when its really needed.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,288 Posts
Yes, but it's not really a "prepper" channel, unless you consider all members of disaster preparedness organizations to be preppers. Lots of people try to help their communities that don't consider themselves to be preppers...so that might influence how you talk to people if you're on that channel.

But as far as radio that have channels go (CB, FRS), range is pretty limited. Probably worth getting a ham radio license if you want more than a couple miles of comms.

·
Registered
512 Posts
With ham radio the operator adjusts the frequency they wish to operate on. With a CB the channel is a predetermined frequency and the operator selects the channel only.

·
Gettin By
1,405 Posts
The channel 3 is CB, FRS, MURS channels. The ham side is 146.420.

Channel 3 project.
So the "common" hams frequencies for the most used bands are:

6meters: 52.525mhz FM is the national FM calling frequency. Secondary is 52.540
And for those with Single Sideband capability the calling frequency is 50.110 USB for DX and 50.125 for "local".

2 Meter FM calling is 146.520 and secondary is 147.420
2 Meter SSB is 144.200 USB

ON the 70cm Band (440mhz) Calling frequency is 446.000mhz
for SSB it is 432.100 USB.

ON 10 meters with General and above license FM calling is 29.600 FM
For Technician license holders 28.400USB is the unofficial calling frequency.

For GMRS the "Emergency Frequency" is CH#20 which is 462.675mhz with a 141.3pl.

Finally if you live near waterways/oceans the Marine Emergency VHF frequency is 156.800 which all vessels are required to monitor when their radio is not in use for other communications.

And if you have Aricraft capabilities the "emergency frequency" is 121.500mhz AM.

Hope this helps some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts