Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Ruger 10/22 today. I have owned several over the years (got my first one for $50 many years ago)
I found a few surprises. There is a new magazine release. So far I really like it.

The lock that came with it was really heavy duty and I will repurpose it soon.:D:

I am not sure I like the new, polycarb trigger group yet but I will see how it breaks in. I had to go through three different ones at the store because the first two had a gap in the butt plate, Bill must be rolling over in his grave because I have never seen a Ruger shipping like the first two I looked at. I ended up giving $189 which is about the best price I have seen in awhile.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I put a tactical solutions extended mag release on mine i like it better than the factory one mine tho is an older one without the feature

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Ruger isn't what it used to be for sure. A year ago I was at the range and a guy in the next lane blew the barrel off hid Red Hawk with factory loads. You think that won't stop the range master in his tracks. There was nothing left from the cylinder forward. However, my kids all have 1022s and they function like a clock.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Ruger isn't what it used to be for sure. A year ago I was at the range and a guy in the next lane blew the barrel off hid Red Hawk with factory loads. You think that won't stop the range master in his tracks. There was nothing left from the cylinder forward. However, my kids all have 1022s and they function like a clock.
he may have had a lemon factory load not alwayse the gun thats the problem

my ruger gp 100 mk1 and 10/22s are all tanks

but there alwayse lemons that happen

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I guess I am old school, but I like the flush magazine release.

A few months ago I was shooting my cousins bolt action 22 that had an extended magazine release. I bumped the release and the magazine fell out.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have no clue why but recently become a Ruger fan? Anyways I told the lady stop buying locks because I have a pile of them.:D:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I have no clue why but recently become a Ruger fan?
After old man ruger died, the company has taken a totally different direction then what they were doing in the 1980s and 1990s.

I remember people almost begging ruger to make an AR-15 rifle in the 1990s, but the company did not want to make military looking weapons.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I always clean my firearms on the floor with everything on a blanket. I've almost stepped on the trigger group while it was fully disassembled. Thats the flaw with it because other then the trigger guard its always encased in the stock.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I do like my 10/22 and my daughters seem to like it as well with the pile of 25 round mags we have for it.
I will say it doesnt take long for them to go through 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
After old man ruger died, the company has taken a totally different direction then what they were doing in the 1980s and 1990s.

I remember people almost begging ruger to make an AR-15 rifle in the 1990s, but the company did not want to make military looking weapons.
I honestly dont remember anything bad about ruger and most of the older information I read/hear is in the past for me. I really could careless if the manufacture went the kiss arse route in the arms industry. I do enjoy they're guns personally and like the fact its american made. Its interesting to hear about this on the forum.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I recently bought a 10/22 with the hammered bull barrel and target trigger--man it's hard to believe how accurate it is!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have a stock 10/22 from the late 70's to early 80's ... (was my grandfathers) ... shoots great! .. do have a scope on it but i much prefer the factory sights ...

wanting to pick up another one though so i can mod it a bit ... do not want to do anything (other then shoot and clean) to the one i have ...

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
10-22's

i have two of the Ruger 10-22's. i built both of them.

one is a 100 yard gun with an aftermarket 16" heavy barrel, BSA Sweet .22 scope, Power Custom target hammer, bolt buffer, and corelite synthetic stock. i use this one on rabbits, marmots and prairie dogs to great effect.

other is standard barrel, folding stock, Trueglo 2X red dot scope, bolt buffer and plenty of 25 rnd mags. i sent this one to ruger after i bought it used for failure to fire. all i needed was a new firing pin and spring. They ended up putting in a whole new bolt and trigger group for me, for free!!!!! awesome customer service!!

if you get the chance, build one for yourself, its a LOAD of fun, but beware, it can sneak up and really drain your wallet! for more info on 10-22's, building them, altering them, customizing them etc go to: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

They have a entire section devoted to the 10-22. check out the gallery too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I guess I am old school, but I like the flush magazine release.

A few months ago I was shooting my cousins bolt action 22 that had an extended magazine release. I bumped the release and the magazine fell out.
Me too! The position isn't right for me either for hunting in the field. The last thing I want to do is lose a mag.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wasn't SUPER impressed with the actual craftsmanship of the new Ruger 10/22, I did not and have not seen an older one.
Mine looks as if they were halfass painting the inside of the reciever; either paint it, or leave it alone, don't just leave a large overspray.
Been a damn good gun, and for a brand new .22 for $200, can't complain :)
My LC9 however, is of much higher craftsmanship. Very nice, well made, gun.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Every time I get another 10-22, after not having one for awhile, I have to relearn how to release the bolt when it is locked back. I keep forgetting that you have to release the release before releasing the bolt. My bad.:confused::thumb:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Me too! The position isn't right for me either for hunting in the field. The last thing I want to do is lose a mag.
I bumped the extended release on my skwerl gun and almost lost my mag.I'm thinking of changing it back to the recessed release..:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts