Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is hoped that I will be at least halfway lucid, as I write this post; I am still fighting to attain some semblance of mental functionality, after my ritual morning coffee and cigarette.

I have had a change of heart, on a carry weapon: I am reverting back to carrying my Gov't Model .45 auto, in lieu of my .357 magnum revolver.

I have carried that .45 automatic, both on-duty and off, for more than a decade. I am very comfortable with carrying that single-action automatic.

I always carry this weapon in 'condition 1' [one round chambered, cocked and locked]; I Have always been confident of the inherent safety which was built into the weapon and I know how to handle a single-action gun.

Of the effectiveness of the .45 ACP round in a defensive situation, I have no doubt.

I will carry the weapon in a shoulder-holster rig [I have never carried this gun in such, before]. Methinx that I will have some issues with the gun competing for space with my boob and I expect that certain adjustments will be mandatory.

The .44 magnum is unquestionably my favorite revolver caliber, but the .45 ACP is without doubt, my favorite PISTOL caliber.

The Gov't Model .45 automatic is a proven and reliable performer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The 1911 is a great CCW. If you have some "carry space" issues, you may want to consider a Para P-12, or the smaller framed Colt 1911 style. I'm not a large framed man (6'1"-215) and these "fit" me better and draw less attention. I like the Para for capacity, and the smaller Colt for ankle carry. Both are safe in the cocked and locked mode. I have several 1911s and love them, but for ccw, I'll take the Para. JMHO

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Buy a GOOD shoulder holster... like a Jackass rig...

Otherwise it won't las tlong.

Oh, draw the curtans when you practice your draw stroke! (Joke):D:

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Why is the colt 1911 designated single action if it;s a semi auto?

·
free man
626 Posts
Because if the hammer is down, its not self cocking(like say a double action revolver is to a single action revolver). It only self cocks upon firing(otherwise you have to manually pull back the hammer or slide).

·
high on truck stop coffee
17,645 Posts
.45 carry options..

I also have carried a .45 auto in various walks of life,from military duty to civilian,for deep concealment I have carried a Colt Government .45 in a t-shirt/holster.Even in the summer months with light shirt over it I have never been percieved as *armed*.
Take a look here:
http://www.securityprousa.com/cotshho.html

·
Registered
458 Posts
I will carry the weapon in a shoulder-holster rig [I have never carried this gun in such, before]. Methinx that I will have some issues with the gun competing for space with my boob and I expect that certain adjustments will be mandatory.
Please post pics, so we can help you properly evaluate this issue. :D:

Jim

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
You're mixing terms. The M1911A1 is "single action" because the trigger cannot "cock" the pistol (the only function of the trigger is to release the hammer from the sear.) It either has to be cocked by thumbing the hammer back OR by having the slide moved to the rear (either by hand or due to the recoil of shooting a round).

Look at an M9 (Beretta 92FS) 9mm pistol (today's US military standard issue) for the comparison. With the M9 double action mode the hammer is carried down with the transfer pin rotated out of position so it cannot contact the firing pin. The shooter pushes the safety/decocker forward rotating the transfer pin in alignment with the firing pin and then the trigger pull brings the hammer back, cocking the gun, until the sear breaks letting the hammer hit the transfer pin which strikes the firing pin and ignites the round. From this point on the slide cocks the M9 exactly the same way the 1911 does as then M9 is now being operated in "single action" mode.

Just like in a single action revolver the shooter has to thumb back the hammer whereas in a double action revolver the shooter can use the trigger to cock the hammer OR has the option shooting in single action just like the cowboy guns. There are also Double Action Only (DAO) revolvers where you do not have the option of thumbing the hammer back. Every shot requires the hammer be cocked via the trigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts