Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Using a chainsaw to clear some small trees, not paying attention, took a chunk out of my leg.

Wound is about 2 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep.

I was wearing jeans when the accident happended. Switched into shorts when I got to the house.

The wound is just into the fat layer and not into the muscle.

~ EDIT ~

Pictures of me in the emergency room have been added to the opening post.

Consider all of these NSFW

ER bed, raw image of the wound

Me trying to relax before the doctor shows up. The wound was wrapped before going to the ER

Getting ready to have staples put in

The finished product

11 staples, tetanus shot, prescription for oral antibiotics and oral pain killers.

The worst part as the lidocaine shots before the staples.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a similar incident a couple months ago, after nearly 30 trouble free years of running a saw. Like you, I was very lucky especially since mine hit my knee. I will have chaps next time......

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Chaps are a survival item often overlooked. Not meant to you Kev but Most people who don't have any clue how much exposure to injuries people are just cutting wood or doing a garden. Any injury without hospital's and modern medicine could be a survival problem.
And they are also the ones who think some of us are to much into medical equipment and training also with other preps.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I hope you flushed it thoroughly with sanitized water to avoid infection. Remember tetanus, if you haven't had your shot lately. I am glad it wasn't worse!

Perhaps a tourniquet would be good to keep around when working?

·
"inter arma silent leges"
1,017 Posts
Kev, am so sorry this happened. The others gave you good advice both about chaps and medical but am sure you know that ~S~

Please be careful............nice leg by the way love the hair!!!;)

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Using a chainsaw to clear some small trees, not paying attention, took a chunk out of my leg.

Wound is about 2 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch deep.

I was wearing jeans when the accident happended. Switched into shorts when I got to the house.

The wound is just into the fat layer and not into the muscle.

Huh. Sounds remarkably similar to what I did a few years ago. Mine was on the knee. No real damage except my ego and the time lost.
I've tried to slow down and take more breaks when doing that kind of work. Also try to think about any bad habits you have developed. Mine was resting the saw on my thigh.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I know a guy where I grew up that was cutting a log for fire wood and the saw kicked back and cut his jugular in his neck. He was dead in less than a minute, the doctor at the emergency room said if he was here at the hospital and did that we couldn't of saved him.

I worked in the woods when I was a young man going to college. it's dangerous and very hard work. I saw many accidents happen to other people but not me. I guess I was lucky.

The Op is lucky to still have his leg.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.