Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've used a 16" McCullough chain saw for years. Its great. Not too heavy so easy to handle, and cuts branches and most logs without stress to equipment or the user. We use a lot of wood easy year, and wouldn't want to work without this. What are the rest of you using?

·
Zomby Woof
14,310 Posts
We've used a 16" McCullough chain saw for years. Its great. Not too heavy so easy to handle, and cuts branches and most logs without stress to equipment or the user. We use a lot of wood easy year, and wouldn't want to work without this. What are the rest of you using?
I just got a Husqvarna 20in. "Rancher". It is like using a dirt bike motor with a blade. Oak becomes butter under this saw. We usually only cut wood for the hunting cabin, but are getting a stove for the house, hence the new saw.

I've got a Poulan 18 that has been cutting great for 15 years and a very old Homelite 12in for a trim saw.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
I've got an old McCullough I've had for 20 years, and it was old when I got it, with a 20" bar for the big stuff and a 14" Pullon for branches and smaller stuff. I've heated 3 houses with wood over the last 20 years with them. Keep your chain sharp and maintain them and they'll last a LONG time.

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
I bought an electric chain saw a few months ago to cut up a downed tree.........

ducks flying tomatoes........

That was before I started prepping, etc. Now I have to find someone stupid enough to take it off my hands and pick up a gas powered.

·
just your average nobody
330 Posts
I have a Stihl 024 with a 16 inch bar, and 038 with a 24 inch bar, a nice combo of light weight and power for most Minnesota trees I've come across. Craigslist is great in spring time for finding saws, I paid $120 for the 024 and $40 for the 038 not running (needed a diaphragm kit in the carb)

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Stihl 029. It has been going strong for over 12-years now. I take it in to the dealer every four or five years to have it tuned up.

My Stihl gets used a lot, and has always performed as expected.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
I run two Echos and a stihl. My CS400 is my main saw, reminds me of the old Homelite superXLs. The Stihl is just a backup I keep around. I have found an 18" bar is all I need.

BTW, if you're not using this in your mix, get you some, it will save your saw.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I bought an electric chain saw a few months ago to cut up a downed tree.........

ducks flying tomatoes........

That was before I started prepping, etc. Now I have to find someone stupid enough to take it off my hands and pick up a gas powered.
I killed my electric chain saw, they just aren't designed for cutting anything but real small branches.

Still have a small Homelite saw with a 12' bar and a newer Poulan with a 20" bar. Got the latter when a tree became uprooted and was about to fall into the neighbors yard. Estimates were over $1000 to drop it so I bought the saw and lots of rope and saved myself hundreds of dollars doing it myself.

I keep several chains for both and sharpen then in rotation.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.