Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well they will run on about the worst gas you can find, ours i think currently is running on 3-4yo fuel :D

I pulled her our last week for a camping trip with mates, its an 1978 ECHO comercial model, metal case 45cc motor been through three generations my grandfather, dad and now me. Still going strong

What have you got? hows it worked out for you ect.

It would seem that these are going to be a life saver in comming years if you cant heat without wood.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I have a Stihl MS440 Professional, the engine is 70cc and the bar is 50cm long.
Great for felling big ol' trees. Never lacking in grunt.
My arms always felt a metre long after hanging onto it for an 8 hour day. :p

I've also got a Stihl MS192 arborists saw with a 30cc engine and a 30cm bar.
This is my truck saw when I'm on the 4x4 trails, also handy for garden jobs, on the building site, and large scale wood carving. :D

I love my Stihls, never had any problems with them (that weren't my own fault), and their motors have heaps of grunt for their size.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a Stihl MS260 13'' or 14'' blade? I've had it for about 3 years and can only say its been a really good buy :D

Here is a few pics of my logs for this winter 2008...

First stack just outside house...

Second stack, by the old kennels where they will be stored at the end of the summer...

Third stack, tail ends of windfalls...

My chainsaw Stihl MS260 in the car ready for some work...

Work in progress...

I'm researching a log splitter at the moment as I find it difficult to cope with just a maul, if I was in the States I like the look of the Rayco...

But in the Uk I might have a better look at this one...

I know its good exercise swinging that maul, but something a little quicker is needed to get all my timber ready...

thanks for looking

Cheers

:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if your looking at wood splitters a mate and i made one. all in all probly 5-600 in parts and a little skill needed

all we did was weld up a long peiece of steel with flat end for the log to sit onand installed a hydrualic ram on to top end with a log splitter head welded to the ram. small centrfugal clutch type honda engine and a hydryalic pump. thing 100 in steel to make it, 150 in hoses and fitting, ram well we took them from work as we specalise in them and motor. bingo bloody strong and cheap log splitter. i can draw a diagram if you would like we have no pics unfortunatly

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Stihl MS 290 with a 16" bar, just got it out yesterday cleaned it up, got gas mixed etc. Love the thing, bought it during Hurricane Rita and got reimbursed, used it ALOT at my house, two trees fell on the house, and a crapload around the yard. Made a little bit of money with it too, gonna see about usen it around the yard some and see about getting more work with it, as I'm doing yardwork anyways.

Anyone suggest some good videos on the use of a chainsaw? I'm not a total noob but I'm a little rusty, I also need to learn how to sharpen it.

Splitters, mmmm my dad bought one and I gotta say the hydraulic splitter is soo nice. Makes getting firewood tons easier. Not sure on the brand or specs, but if anyone wants to know I can find out.

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
I've got a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss as well. Takes a lickin', and keeps on tickin' as they say.:D I used to do tree work with a buddy, and that's all we used were Stihl's. Great chainsaws.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well if your looking at wood splitters a mate and i made one. all in all probly 5-600 in parts and a little skill needed

all we did was weld up a long peiece of steel with flat end for the log to sit onand installed a hydrualic ram on to top end with a log splitter head welded to the ram. small centrfugal clutch type honda engine and a hydryalic pump. thing 100 in steel to make it, 150 in hoses and fitting, ram well we took them from work as we specalise in them and motor. bingo bloody strong and cheap log splitter. i can draw a diagram if you would like we have no pics unfortunatly
Thanks, I'd like a look at the drawing, I've a mate that might be talked into making one up, but he'd only start if I had detailed drawings and pump, engine sizes etc.

Cheers

:)

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Anyone suggest some good videos on the use of a chainsaw? I'm not a total noob but I'm a little rusty, I also need to learn how to sharpen it.
Easiest way, go to the local Stihl dealership and ask for a 5 to 10 minute lesson on sharpening your chainsaw correctly.
It's not hard, it's just finding the correct angles to sharpen at. You muck up the angles, your chainsaw will cut a semi-circle instead of a straight line.

Just remembered an old saw my mate had, a big ol' Husqvarna from the early 80s, what a beast.
Well, we had 6 1ton blocks of sandstone for this symposium we were attending.
All the artists had to cut these blocks were old 2 man crosscut saws, it would have taken up the whole week to cut these blocks of stone.
So I grabbed this ol' beast, all the old chains I could, suited up in chaps, apron and so on, and had at it.
That saw cut all of those stones into quarters in about 2 hours, 20 chains and 5 litres of bar lube.
It's filter was clogged full of fine dust, the bar was finished, and the saw was in a very sorry state.
Gave it a clean and service, along with a new bar, and it's still used for odd jobs 6 years later. :D

Reactions: Mad Dog

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
Yeah, those Husky's are good saws too. Used them one summer working doing clearing work for the local power company, clearing trees that were getting too close to the power lines. Nothing like trees growing up into the hot and neutral to make the day exciting.:D

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've just got a little Husky 35 from the '70s. It is very light and has only a 14 inch bar. If we are going to have some real piros camping, I'll toss it in the boat to cut wood with instead of my usual cross cut saw.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
I have a Stihl Farmboss about 4-5 years old and never had a problem with it. Its done a lot of work and still going strong.
I sharpen the chain with a 12 volt sharpener which can be connected to the 4x4 battery in the bush.
yes the cutting angles have to be right, but also check the relative height of the rakers on the chain.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I have a Stihl Farmboss about 4-5 years old and never had a problem with it. Its done a lot of work and still going strong.
I sharpen the chain with a 12 volt sharpener which can be connected to the 4x4 battery in the bush.
yes the cutting angles have to be right, but also check the relative height of the rakers on the chain.
Yep, if the chain is sharp, but still not cutting, it'll be the rakers.
Due to the remote locations we were felling in, I carried a spare sharp chain, and would put it on, and if that one was blunted, out with the files. :rolleyes:
We also had to check in by radio all the time, when fueling, sharpening, having a leak or having a drink.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've messed around with a few of them over the years. I did the thing most people do- "let's go cheap"- early on and had a couple of Poulans from Walmart. Not a bad saw considering we were cutting almost 2 cords a year with them. Brother cut down the last 15' of a pine that measured about 4 foot in circumference. Yeah I heard a LOT of guff over that one!!

Next I went to Huskies. Good saws, still own a couple of them. The 350 with an 18" blade is about the perfect size for the wife, not too heavy but enough power for her to help out (usually she rolls them to me, loads them if they need loading and stacks them after the split). The 55 Rancher is an awesome saw and my intent was to buy another 1 as a backup and make that my main saw to stockpile parts for, etc. Well then they discontinued them :mad: and I was told the new model "455 Rancher" parts would not interchange.

So on the recommendation of a good friend in TN that was a logger, I tried Stihl. Now I knew that guy knew chainsaws, wood, logging etc. but I resisted his recommendation for a long time. Finally broke down and bought a Stihl 290 and I'm SOLD!! Got a duplicate and building up the parts.

On the splitter issue- I think if your time is worth anything to you and you are dead set on heating with wood (I'm not even sure our regular heat works, we haven't used it in about 5 years now and that was a night we got home at midnight and didn't have time for a fire before bed) that a splitter is a good investment. Any friends or family members you can split the costs with? I split one with my brother and it's worked out really well.

That's not to say you shouldn't have and know how to use the mauls, wedges, etc. Important to always have backups.

We got a windfall last fall in wood. A logging/timber company just down the road went out of business and a crew was there cleaning up the place. Several huge stacks of logs were just sitting there. I drove up and asked the fellow what they were doing with the wood - "givin it to you" he says in southern drawl. I offered to pay but he wouldn't have it. We pulled a total of about 15 truck and trailer loads of wood out of there, some that still needs to be cut to size and split.

When you heat solely with wood, you look at your firewood supply like money in the bank- and it basically IS.

Typically we will burn whatever we can find. Pine CAN be burned, it just needs to be seasoned well. Don't try to burn "punk" (lighter knot) though. We got a SMALL piece in by mistake this spring- WOW! Looked like burning tar coming out of the chimney and it was REALLY hard to put out. Definitely time for a chimney sweep after that episode!

Don't forget to stockpile fireplace rope, and extra sections of fireplace pipe. The double walled expensive stuff has held up great over 7-8 years now, the black stuff has to be replaced pretty much every year.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Real mean don't use gas powered chainsaws (jk). They use these:

In all serious chainsaws are at the top of the list when many natural disasters hit. They are good to keep handy with a sharpening kit, gas and spare parts.

Attachments

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
for four days every summer I drive 4 hours to cut and split my wifes grandparents wood.

we make it a family ordeal and have done it for a few years....

I cut the wood with the chainsaw and my wife uses the wood spliter her grandfather rents....

our daughters and the grandparents transport it with the 4 wheeler and trailer and stack it in the wood shed....

when I move east I'll definatly be picking up a splitter

we have a Huskavarna and a sthil......but I preffer the Husky :D
Tugger

·
Banned
97 Posts
We don't NEED NO STINKIN CHAINSAWS!!

Ok, a small nod to Blazing Saddles.

I use my Milwaukee Heavy Duty Sawzall with a 5021 blade. I'll grant you the blade is a little longer than 5 inches. But if I'm cutting up something with a larger diameter, I can just roll it over and finish the cut.

Good up to about 10 inches, perhaps a little more.

I've got three cords of seasoned wood. And no fireplace to burn it in. But I do keep the fireplace bricks available (use them as a top to my welding table) and can make an 'instant fireplace' almost anywhere, anytime.

I KNOW someone here will mention that it runs on electricity. Yes that's true. But it's NOT a big deal for me. I own a 1986 M1031 Contact Maintenace truck that has a 10kw genny. Provides six 110v 15a, one 208 15a single phase and one 208 45a three phase. Runs off the PTO driven by the 6.2L diesel engine.

So, like I said.

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN CHAINSAWS!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Chain Saw

I have a Stihl MS 231 2.0kW general purpose saw.

The versatile MS 231 chainsaw is ideal for private users or farmers felling small trees, cutting firewood and general landscape maintenance. The STIHL 2-MIX engine allows emissions to be cut by up to 70% and fuel consumption is up to 20% lower compared to a STIHL 2-stroke engine of the same power output without 2-MIX technology.:)

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
I have a Stihl MS 231 2.0kW general purpose saw.

The versatile MS 231 chainsaw is ideal for private users or farmers felling small trees, cutting firewood and general landscape maintenance. The STIHL 2-MIX engine allows emissions to be cut by up to 70% and fuel consumption is up to 20% lower compared to a STIHL 2-stroke engine of the same power output without 2-MIX technology.:)
If only they'd seen this ad 9 years ago. :rolleyes:

·
Jackpine Savage
5,518 Posts
Mine aren't pro models but I like them. I bought the 42 used for a hundred bucks and it runs great. The 365 I paid less for and had issues with right away. Got took it needed a full rebuild. Still came out ok though have close to $400 into it including having a 372 top end put on during the rebuild and basically a brand new saw. I love that thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts