Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this one another forum so I thought I'd try it here too. I dug out an old CFP-90 that I had in the closet for years. I've been planning on revamping it from camping into a BOB. While looking it over I found that the suspension/shoulder strap set-up broke. I've looked around the net and can't seem to find replacement parts for it. Because of this I have two questions:
First does anyone know of a source for replacement parts?
Second, does anyone else use a CFP-90 as a GHB or BOB?

LCAS-271

·
Registered
609 Posts
CFP-90 is also called the "Mountain Ruck". Why; I cannot tell you. I have a couple; along with the removable patrol pack. I personally like it. Liking it, or not is really a matter of personal taste. If you asked 100 people who used it, you'd probably get 100 different responses. You HAVE to try it, to see if it works for YOU.

Check to see if you have any military surplus stores in your area. They might be able to acquire replacement parts, if they don't already have them.

Keep the faith! There's LOT's of them out there. Welcome to the jungle! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted this one another forum so I thought I'd try it here too. I dug out an old CFP-90 that I had in the closet for years. I've been planning on revamping it from camping into a BOB. While looking it over I found that the suspension/shoulder strap set-up broke. I've looked around the net and can't seem to find replacement parts for it. Because of this I have two questions:
First does anyone know of a source for replacement parts?
Second, does anyone else use a CFP-90 as a GHB or BOB?

LCAS-271
Yes, I am similarly looking for those replacement parts, lest I be forced to make my own.

Any updated, and useful information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally have pictures of the part:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/neospike19/Backpack yoke album/P1010369.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/neospike19/Backpack yoke album/P1010373.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/neospike19/Backpack yoke album/P1010368.jpg

Any thoughts?
I have tried calling a few places out west about replacing, but nobody has had any stock in this part since 1996...just my luck.

thoughts? If a new part can't be found would you advise trying to make one out of Aluminum, or could you recommend a good plastic to try? I'm not aware of any good composites available for this..hmm.

·
Registered
185 Posts
HELLO ALL RON L HERE -SERE SURPLUS

I have gotten extra straps and combat packs from different Military Surplus plases like Majors surplus in Calif, but the CFP-90 is made by LOWE Alpine systems, I don't think they would Honor a warranty on the broken parts, but I'm sure they would sell you replacments? Let Bing or Google set you free and let us know how you make out?
wish I could be more help, but short of repolacement of the Pack straps I've never had to do any one mine?

RON

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I would use that broken piece as a pattern,and make a new one from .050 stainless steel.Use a dremel and cutoff wheel to form the shape,and cut webbing slots into it,like those slide keepers you have in the photos,instead of sewing it to the plastic like Lowe did.. Its easier than you might think.
http://www.divers-supply.com/-P521....dium=cpc&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=521

Something similar to this,but on a much smaller scale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fredlee, I think you've got the right idea as I'm not entirely sure what Ron said.

Neither Bing, Google, Yahoo, or hotmail have been helpful in setting me free-although I wish they had been. I've tried e-bay as well...but that only works if I buy an entirely new pack. I bought this pack to repair and put it back into use, so I'll try my hardest to make it work.

Stainless steel doesn't sound so bad right now, if there truly is no easier (or cost effective) way.

I'll keep looking to see if anyone comes up with parts (or entirely new straps would work too...but it only would attach with the slot that aluminum piece fits in.

Thoughts? Comments? Conerns? Any and all information is welcome.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Looking at pic 3,I think a saddler or boot maker could cut a thick piece of leather to match that shape,and stitch those straps to it. Then,either punch or hotrod mounting holes in it.That plastic looks like a inheirant weak point.Plastic flexing repeatedly snaps like that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you find the replacement straps? My pack strap broke almost identically to yours and I need a replacement set also.

thanks

·
Outsized Outdoorsman
20 Posts
Cfp-90

Looking for a little help with this one. I have a pack that is very similar to this pack. It is from the early to mid '90s, as I got it as part trade from a former Marine in 97-98. It looks strikingly similar on the outside, except it has four smaller exterior pockets instead of two smaller and one long one. It also only has the pass thru behind the right hand set of pockets. It does not have the drop pockets attached to the bottom panel. The suspension system is a webbing design, and you adjust it by threading it through a higher set. It almost looks as if the Marines reverted to this after having problems with the plastic screw adjustable ones. It does not have the top cover over the drawstring, and it has two sets of buckles inside, presumably for a divider, but no divider. Both of these last two are things I would really like to have, as I use this pack in pretty rough conditions, and I HATE rain covers. Drum liners and water resistant stuff sacks keep things dry, but it'd be nice for water not to run down into the top of the bag. So is mine just missing these items? Is this even a CFP-90, or is this some other variant. Where can I get these items? Thanks for your help.

Legend

·
Registered
589 Posts
I watched this thread for awhile thinking I might find a source for replacement parts or repairs in case I ever needed any myself.

Here is some information I found on another web site. I will just copy and paste their text below.

I busted the shoulder harness on my m1990, and it wasn't easy to find a place that could fix it or sell me parts. I learned that the pack was designed by Lowe-Alpine, although they do not officially support it. However, Lowe did point me toward http://www.ripstoprepairs.com/ who is an authorized Lowe repair shop. They can fix almost anything, and did a great job on my pack. They will do custom jobs, too, and seem to be familiar with the mil-spec gear.

The article was for a review of the CFP-90 pack. This link leads to the review: http://www.hikingreviews.com/gear-reviews/57-military-and-surplus/96-combat-field-pack.html

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I finally have pictures of the part:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/neospike19/Backpack yoke album/P1010369.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/neospike19/Backpack yoke album/P1010373.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/neospike19/Backpack yoke album/P1010368.jpg

Any thoughts?
I have tried calling a few places out west about replacing, but nobody has had any stock in this part since 1996...just my luck.

thoughts? If a new part can't be found would you advise trying to make one out of Aluminum, or could you recommend a good plastic to try? I'm not aware of any good composites available for this..hmm.
I would go for a thick piece of top grain leather. It will need to be oiled periodically, but it is durable and easy to cut to size.

You could also try finding one of those thicker style flexible binders and cut a replacement piece from it. I have found multiple handy uses for that plastic. It's durable, flexible and waterproof. I would transfer that metal plate to whatever your new piece is. You could take it to a Cobbler (shoe repair person) or a harness maker/ repair place and ask them to sew it for you.

I have a leather boot patcher at home and those needles are seriously heavy duty and go through all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Lowe Alpine pack I bought in about 1983 or 84 and the exact same part broke on mine just last weekend. I can't complain after 26 years of regular use! I believe the part is called the "harness yoke" and its part of Lowe's "Torsion Track" suspension system. Judging from one of the earlier posts the system was still around in the mid 90's so they used it for quite a while and it makes for a very nice fit.

I'm trying the "contact us" link on Lowe's website (http://www.lowealpine-usa.com). I will post again if I get can buy a replacement direct from them. Otherwise the leather yoke sounds like a good solution.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
CFP-90 is what I have, I picked it up at a flea market in new condition for 30 bucks.
If you were able to buy that pack *New* for $30.00, then it's NOT a real CFP-90.

There are a lot of cheap Taiwan knock offs of this pack that are seriously substandard. I used to sell the real things, and ran into a lot of trouble competing with he knock offs because they *Appear* so real. One potential customer argued up and down with me because I was asking $140.00 for mine (New, and under others advertised price) because he could get it for $75.00 from Cheaper than dirt.com.

I finally gave up trying to sell him and told him to buy the Cheap knockoff if he wants, see what happens. He did and I thought that was that. A few months later he calles me back looking to buy the real one. Seems his knock off got wet in the rain (soaked) while he was hiking and the seams split open dumping all his gear out on the trail. He had to abandon some, and share pack space with his buddies for the rest to finish his trip.

Think of it this way, if an authentic pack sells for $150.00 plus, and WHOLESALES for about $90.00 to $100.00, and you paid $30.00? What does that tell you.

To the OP, make sure you actually have a real one before you bother trying to fix the one you have. If you don't, you are just wasting your time. It will only break someplace else. In fact, the fact that you have any broken parts at all, with only light usage tells me it's probably a fake to start with.

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
If you google it, I think there is even a page almost dedicated to spotting the differences between the real and knock offs.
I have the real one and love it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the CFP-90 with the assault pack as my winter BOB kit. I like the main bag, but the assault pack is not comfortable. I just use it for extra storage on the main bag. I have a Maxpedition Vulture II for the shorter / lighter treks as a GHB. It also fits better into urban areas. Word of advice guys - don't hang a bunch of crap on the back of your bag. I've seen a lot of yahoos out there looking like a pack mule with a bunch of stuff dangling all over the place. This is advertisement of what you have. Also, you are more prone to hanging up on things or losing things. If you cannot fit it inside your pack you either have too much crap or not a big enough pack. My rule is only two things outside the pack. A canteen, and a utility knife or small pouch for a compass/gps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts