Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411540179

I've convinced myself not to purchase this gun on a couple occasions now, but every time I see it I start second guessing myself. The price tag is certainly a key motivator, that along with some TLC may get me a quality firearm in .308 for a great price.
Ultimately the final decision will be my own, but I would like some input from those that have hands on experience with this gun. Am I getting myself into more of a headache than its worth? Would some TLC make this a reliable choice at a budget price?
I have criteria in which I have bought every firearm I own by and that is, Reliability, Durability, Versatility, and Availability (parts, ammo). From my research this gun does not meet all of those criteria, I want someone to convince me otherwise or assure me in the decisions I have already made.
For $470 I wouldn't mind a HK clone for bargain basement pricing...

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Reactions: TheRealTruth

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link!! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm pretty confident that with a few simple upgrades this gun can be a great buy. Good luck with yours, and post up your findings, I will do the same.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Will do, it will be about a month. Got lots of 308 since I had built a Sniper rifle I used on duty about 15 years ago. I traded it for a 1976 Harley Ironhead Sportster after retiring and keep the ammo and reloading stuff.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah this will certainly be a round I plan to reload with, a little pricier than .223/5.56. Then again it's punch is worth its weight in gold. Good call on the Ironhead! :thumb:Enjoy!!

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411540179

I've convinced myself not to purchase this gun on a couple occasions now, but every time I see it I start second guessing myself. The price tag is certainly a key motivator, that along with some TLC may get me a quality firearm in .308 for a great price.
Ultimately the final decision will be my own, but I would like some input from those that have hands on experience with this gun. Am I getting myself into more of a headache than its worth? Would some TLC make this a reliable choice at a budget price?
I have criteria in which I have bought every firearm I own by and that is, Reliability, Durability, Versatility, and Availability (parts, ammo). From my research this gun does not meet all of those criteria, I want someone to convince me otherwise or assure me in the decisions I have already made.
For $470 I wouldn't mind a HK clone for bargain basement pricing...

They can be bought for less than 400.00 on gunbroker new, I have one it's a good shooter. I fine it to front heavy I have never had a problem with mine but there are many out there that are just crap from what I've heard.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Well, just got a email from midway that they have some 7.62x39 Stoner AR mags in so I order one and one in 6.8SPC. I was so fired uo about the CETME I order 5 of their Surplus HK G3 mags for my soon to own CETME. they were a little pricey at $2.99 each. Will order some from Cheaper than Dirty next couple of days at $1.97 each. Now thats positive thinking(pat self on back):thumb:

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
ordering 3 of the $1.97 each and 5 of the $0.97 ones from CTD tomorrow.
Here is the parts that are interchangable between CETME and H&K G3

Cetme - HK G3 Compatibility page!
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

G3 / HK91 Parts
http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

there are a lot of different youtube vids on this rifle.
Basic CETME Disassembly

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent resources, this is definitely assuring my purchase of the CETME! Love the look of the wood furniture on the gun, but there are some really neat setups on that site (saving to favorites). I am going to check out some of these youtube vid's when I get home from work...as the excitement begins to build!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I did a "subscribe to this thread" since we are collecting some decent info here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good call...I will put up the info from my research when I get home. It looks like my time frame is about 30 days as well, so everything should start to come together nicely.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Looking for a youtube on headspace check.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
For those interested in viewing. On youtube Sootch00 He did a review of his CETME 308. It's not very detailed about the workings but it's a decent general overview of the rifle.

SOOTCH00 CETME 308

A local gun shop has had one for sale for a while. I've been hesitant to handle it in fear that I will like it and it will be in my price range then I might HAVE to buy it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know how any of you were lucky enough to have a good one, but...

At a local gun shop, I found one.
The finish was ripped to shreds, it had no threaded barrel, the tops of the retaining pins (the pins you have to take out to field strip the thing) were gone, it rattled when I picked it up, and was just all around disgusting.

Just my 2 cents, but I've heard many similar reviews.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I am leary of anything Century arms hs put together. The ones I have seen were from them.

At worst you get a run of the mill reliable AK with .308 thump.

Seen about 2 or 3 in action at the range. I wasn't impressed with the groups. Not sure if ti was the gun or the user though. Didn't hear any cussing or see any tools come out though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looking for a youtube on headspace check.
not a video, but in the sticky section there's a thread on how to do it. http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?23-Cetme-HK

i can give you quick verbal instructions. First you'll need a feeler gauge(can be bought at any auto-parts store).

Before you check for bolt gap make sure you don't have a ground bolt. You can tell if it's ground by looking at the back of the bolt. It will be a bit shiny and have some circular marks on it. Now check the cocking tube gap. Just make sure the part of the bolt carrier that rides in the cocking tube isn't hitting against the cocking tube support.

While you have it apart to check the bolt give it a really good cleaning, even if it looks clean, clean it again.

OK, now make sure it's unloaded and there is no magazine in it. Pull the cocking handle back and lock it into the cutout. Now point the rifle toward the floor and and whack the cocking handle over and let it slam home. Don't ride the charging handle just let it slam home on it's own.

Now pull the trigger, flip the rifle over so you can see into the magazine well. Take your feeler gauge and find a feeler that fits in the gap between the rear of the bolt and the bolt carrier. An in spec gap for these rifles is .004-.020. As long as the feeler you use in within that range the bolt gap is in spec.

If it's one that hasn't been fired yet check the gap after you fire a couple hundred rounds as they tend to lose some gap for break in.

If you have a ground bolt you can get new ones from apex, or RTG parts

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/446

http://www.robertrtg.com/cetmeonlypartsgallery.html

This is a really good deal for spares, even has a new locking piece wich is a hard part to find on it's own.
http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=577

If your bolt gap is too low it can usually be brought into spec by using oversized rollers and sometimes with a new locking piece or some combination of the two.

If that doesn't work then the only option is to have the barrel repressed.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This article is from a few years back, but it is full of good info. At the end of the article there is a short story explaining how accurate the rifle is w/ some fine tuning. (summary, 1 entrance hole w/ 5 exit holes at 50meters) :thumb:

http://www.tonyrogers.com/weapons/cetme.htm

As we have discussed earlier in the thread, this rifle will take some TLC to bring up to spec, but based on the information we have already accrued here, cost will still come in much lower than purchasing an HK91.

I plan on ordering some new HK furniture w/ the CETME when I place the order for the rifle (The CAI stock and fore end is not up to snuff) , I may look into a new extractor at that point as well. But I think I will wait for the firearm to come in so I can see what I am working with.

I am confident in this purchase moving forward... I have read a ton of articles and consumer reviews on the CETME at this point, I have noticed that most dissatisfied customers have the same complaints about the firearm. Funny thing is all of the satisfied customers are responding w/ fairly simple answers to these same complaints.

At the end of the day the CETME, w/ the proper upgrades, will still cost a 1/3 of the HK91 for the same performance and reliability that we all strive for in our firearms. Ergonomics may not be the best, but will can easily be improved upon.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
My Midway order came in today with the 2 AR mags. and 5 G3 mags. 3 of the mags are new,another looks like it and might be. the 5th one is in excellent condition. OK I am committed now no turning back.:D:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts