Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,730 Posts
That kinda looks like an old whiskey jug to me. That thing is old. I'd say late 1800's to very early 1900's. But that's just my opinion. Whether it's worth anything or not I have no idea. I'd give you 10 bucks for it but I doubt I could afford the shipping.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Found this

"Robinson-Ransbottom
Started in 1901 as Ransbottom Brothers Pottery, the company merged with Robinson Clay Products in 1920 to create Robinson-Ransbottom Pottery. You can find "RRP" in their logo. They were best known for their cobalt blue crown mark. There were different versions of the crown mark used, so you may see various numbers or words inside the crown."

Here

https://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Stoneware_Crocks

No idea on value, but knowing what it is is the first step. See if there is a maker's mark on the bottom. As far as I saw most did say it is a whisky jug.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,289 Posts
Durn I thought the thread was about breast enhancements.
Made from ceramic? Ewww. The rubber ones they're using now are bad enough as it is.

I'm always on the lookout for ceramic crocks. I don't have much use for the jugs. I can't seem to find either...ever.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
////////////

So what I have is not a crock it's a jug?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Looks like a common stoneware jug, 5 gallon per the “5” on the symbol.
Probably Prohibition-era?
Worth maybe $50-$100. The more valuable ones carry advertising symbols.
I've seen people pay that much for them, though I doubt they're really worth that. I would also say the 5 means quarts.

I don't recommend using the old crocks or jugs for food or drink as they likely contain lead.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,310 Posts
SAW the header..
my first thought....
I thought they used silicone.:D::thumb:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I've seen people pay that much for them, though I doubt they're really worth that. I would also say the 5 means quarts.

I don't recommend using the old crocks or jugs for food or drink as they likely contain lead.
It’s worth what anyone is willing to pay. The measurements shown on the op are the same as a 4.5 gallon bucket, add the dome on top of the jug, 5 gallons.

·
Registered
10,829 Posts
We used a ceramic jug to make vinegar in back at home with my parents. Once my Dad tried to make table wine but that turned to vinegar also. Mom used it to make pickles. Lots of canning went on back then. I can't say what happened to those jugs and urns they had. I'd sure like them now though.

Reactions: MikeK
1 - 20 of 25 Posts