Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across a Century Arms YUGO AK M70AB2 at the last Gunshow and really liked the looks of it, 16 1/2" barrel, 34 1/4" over all length and a weight of 7.5 Lbs. It has the underfolding butstock and comes with two 30 round magazines.

The main thing that caught my attention was the price which was well above the romanian rebuilds from Century arms...So what do you think, is it worth the 600.00 asking price? which is also the MSRP...

For now the Yugo looks like a winner, tho I found a couple of side folders that run a close second...They had welded in receiver rivets...any benifit to that?
Peter

·
Carpe Diem, Noctem Habere
143 Posts
I'm in the market for a(nother) AK and am def. looking at a Yugo or a Vector Arms. Personally, I don't think I would get an under folder because if in the future you want to add a different stock you can't. If you get a side folder or even a solid stock you can always change it to something different. As far as the price, that sounds about right from what I have heard, but I am not an expert.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DocYoung,
I would definately agree about the cheek well being uncomfortable, I sholdered one and that was the first thing I noticed. The gas cut off /grenade sight is an interesting feature, as is the radium (glow in the dark?) flip up front sight...
I think I like the underfold stock better than the sidefold, The underfolder is more trim and compact when colapsed than the sidefolder.
Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got one Sunday! VERY nice build ! I was looking at the Romys they had but the quality of the Yugo is just way better. Well worth the extra $$ I think. Shoots very well, was getting 3-4 inch groups at 50yrds out of the box. Now I'm no marksman but I thought it was pretty good. Anyways picked it up at the local Dunhams for $480 out the door w/ 2 30rd mags. Guy said he doubts if they will get anymore...

--Rick

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I researched the AK's and their variants to a point where it became mind numbing exercise in splitting hairs.
The Yugo looked like a clear winner. I picked one up Friday...I just hope all the head scratching paid off...
Peter

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Been beating the crap outa my M70 for a few months now . Not 1 Malf !!! in over 2500 rounds .

Get it .

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer couldn't find the original box and magazines, so he pull a couple of magazines from the bin, found a box that would work and threw in a manual. I didn't look closely at the manual until I got home...It's for an SKS...LOL
Minor issues actually, I can probably figure out how to field strip and clean it without the manual...
Peter

·
Registered
305 Posts
The dealer couldn't find the original box and magazines, so he pull a couple of magazines from the bin, found a box that would work and threw in a manual. I didn't look closely at the manual until I got home...It's for an SKS...LOL
Minor issues actually, I can probably figure out how to field strip and clean it without the manual...
Peter

1. Make sure its not loaded. Remove Magazine. Take off Safety.
2. Pop off dust cover.
3. Push spring forward and lift up and out.
4. Pull bolt straight back and lift out.

This is enough to clean the bore.

To remove the gas tube, flip the lever to the right of you're rear sights. Pull rear of gas tube up and out.

This is on a WASR-10 but I'm sure there is no difference.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can hardly wait to get out and put some rounds down range with it...I do need to give it a good going over and clean it first, especially the magazines...Cosmoline works great but is just the pits...
Peter

·
Shooter
429 Posts
Is it just me, or....why the heck are ALL the yugo underolders coming with plastic stocks. I can't stand plastic on an AK and that seems to be all that the underfolders have! I would love one, but with wood. Must be part of the 922 compliance laws....prolly.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Just got one Sunday! VERY nice build ! I was looking at the Romys they had but the quality of the Yugo is just way better. Well worth the extra $$ I think. Shoots very well, was getting 3-4 inch groups at 50yrds out of the box. Now I'm no marksman but I thought it was pretty good. Anyways picked it up at the local Dunhams for $480 out the door w/ 2 30rd mags. Guy said he doubts if they will get anymore...

--Rick

I have one just like this. Nice gun for the truck, but I dislike shooting it. Just personal preference - nothing at all wrong with the gun. I'm just not a fan of the UF stock. I like a shorter pull.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got a chance to get it out to the range for an initial session...
No hitches in cycling, and the sights were right on the money.
Peter

·
Registered
871 Posts
i had a norinco sporterized ak that took hi-cap magazines but i stupidly sold it , i do however on a yugo sks that's not to bad for the money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts