Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just picked one up from Jim Pruetts Guns and Ammo for 800 bucks... he had a few left for those in the Houston area. It is an A2 model brand new in the box.

·
Registered
49 Posts
have him buy a parts kit, and replace the receiver parts. the receiver pins in Mine were constantly coming loose and binding things up. When I first got it, it shot well. After the install it worked great. Re-build kit is about $65.00 bucks

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
have him buy a parts kit, and replace the receiver parts. the receiver pins in Mine were constantly coming loose and binding things up. When I first got it, it shot well. After the install it worked great. Re-build kit is about $65.00 bucks

That's because Century used mismatched used parts for the lowers...

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Shoot it and see what it does. Century had a lot of lemons but many were just fine. Be aware that as mentioned top quality parts were not used and a rebuild may be in order.

·
Registered
34,668 Posts
Why? What's the problem with it and what is your experience with them other than hearsay?

Well, I had my own sales rep, and my bigest single order (That they ****ed up) was over $7,000.
-I'm an individual, not a store.

Not all century stuff is bad... but ALL the Century AR's I've seen were crap.

Some of the AK's were bad (But they replace and pay shipping...) Heck, my GO-to AK is a Century WASR

FAL's usually need a little work, but can be fixed.

But if you get a good Century AR...

Play the lotto.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tell your dad to bring lube next time he goes to that store because he should be feeling pretty sore right about now. You can buy a Double Star AR, or a Plum Crazy Lower and a complete Del-Ton upper for less.

Levi

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
you can find Bushmasters for less than $800. research is in order.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I bought one 4 the same price 2 years back. It shot great. But you can get an S&W or an armalite for the same price.

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
Well I'm an older guy and suspect your dad liked the retro look. And maybe he gave it a good inspection before buying so let's give him the benefit of the doubt - it could be a good rifle. And probably is, older guys do know a thing or two. Century has done ok by me - four good firearms well worth the money but I did inspect each one before buying.

Much of the Century's upper receiver is M16 parts and that can be good but definitely look for use/abuse, especially the barrel and bolt carrier group.

The lower is anybody's guess, and probably the flavor of the week but should be adequate, most lowers are. Odds are the LPK is all right too but like spottedwolf said it's a cheap fix to replace the kit if there are problems or the trigger is gritty/sloppy.

Yeah, I think he got what he wanted (and maybe something like he carried) and it'll shoot just fine.

·
in a land of confusion
1,148 Posts
guys, he bought this in the height of Obamamania, you're commenting on a nearly 2 year old thread as though it were written yesterday. Wasrs were going for 5-600 dollars or more at the time, 1000 rds of 7.62x39 were going for well over 300 bucks, now you can buy cheap russian ammo at wal-mart, wasrs, yugos, vz58s, for under 400 and several brands of ars for under 600, its a different market today, look at the date of the threads you're commenting on.

·
Prepared in NH
12,852 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good grief why do newbs dredge up this crap! Waste of our time.
It popped up in suggested threads for me. I am new to this site, most sites don't show you old threads. Besides, some information about current deals has been added that might help people looking for a bargain rifle. And you wasted your own time by making a pointless reply.

kthnxbye,

Levi

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
It popped up in suggested threads for me. I am new to this site, most sites don't show you old threads. Besides, some information about current deals has been added that might help people looking for a bargain rifle. And you wasted your own time by making a pointless reply.

kthnxbye,

Levi
I wasted my time by assuming this was a new thread and responding to the orginal post. Sometimes you notice it's an old thread and other times you get suckered into wasting your time. I wasn't the only one fooled by your reply that resurrected a two year old thread.

My second reply was very much to the point. Don't dredge up old threads, start a new thread instead. If you want you can link to an older thread. It's just proper discussion forum etiquette.

Tell your dad to bring lube next time he goes to that store because he should be feeling pretty sore right about now. You can buy a Double Star AR, or a Plum Crazy Lower and a complete Del-Ton upper for less.

Levi
As far as pointless, what point did you hope to make with this reply to a two year old thread? Remember the prices back in late 2008 as Cougar8000 pointed out?

·
Registered
8,315 Posts

kthnxbye,

Levi
FYI-
You can get all defensive or just say "my mistake" and move on with your life.

Something to think about...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts