Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2nd Amendment zealot
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody own a Century Arms AK47? FIL has one and I have shot it a few times at the range and it seems to be a solid well made firearm which is manufactured in the US. Very accurate, at least at the ranges I was shooting (20 TO 50 Yards). He said he paid around 800.00 new in the box. One could buy almost two bare bone AR's for that price.
So my question to the group is what are the cons for this weapon aside from price.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think that’s one of the better brands if memory serves. Cons are not as accurate as an AR and 223 is starting to get cheaper now than 7.62x39, especially steel case. While the AK sound like a baby rattle, their looser tolerances make them almost jam proof and that .30 cal round packs more of a punch. But you asked for cons, so accuracy (perhaps negligible) ammo cost, accessory limitations compared to the AR are what come to mind.

·
Hunter, Photographer
748 Posts
Theres a difference between Century imported and Century produced. Their imports have always been good to go. The Ras47 and C39(and v2) have had reliability issues due to the way certain parts are manufactured (trunion and bolts shattering). Their imports are another story and are generally good to go. Made in USA sounds good, but as far as AKs go, the only one doing it right in the states right now is PSA with the newer gen 2 and 3 models. (Built from parts kits is another story).
In that range I would look more into newer production models of the Wasr-10, M+M and Zpaps. Or for a bit more Arsenals are tried and true. Personally, my SLR107 was money well spent, even though I could build a couple budget ARs for what I gave for it.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
There is another thread on here talking about Century. I would be shocked if their QC has picked up. The last Century guns I looked at, which was several years ago, were crap. Sloppily assembled imported parts kits. Overpriced.

If that has changed for the better I am glad to hear it.

·
MortarMaggot
3,430 Posts
I think that’s one of the better brands if memory serves. Cons are not as accurate as an AR and 223 is starting to get cheaper now than 7.62x39, especially steel case. While the AK sound like a baby rattle, their looser tolerances make them almost jam proof and that .30 cal round packs more of a punch. But you asked for cons, so accuracy (perhaps negligible) ammo cost, accessory limitations compared to the AR are what come to mind.
I think he's asking about this specific brand of AK's vs other brands, not so much as AK's vs. AR's in general. Maybe someone should start a separate thread about that? :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts