Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my breif review on these two models, a comparison based on handling only (have yet to fire the M70).

Century Arms GP1975 (the one pictured with the black stock) Romanian Origin

I've had this for a while, I traded an old bolt action for it years ago. I don't take it out too often, but it shoots straight and doesn't jam. It doesn't feel like a great rifle in the hands though, little bit of rattle, everything is loose fitting. It has the receiver dimples, but still slight mag wobble, and the gas tube is kind of loose as well. Overall, a cheap rifle, but I know it will shoot when I pull the trigger. A good rifle to keep around, but I would hand it out to a friend, then grab a different rifle out of the safe for me.

Century Arms M70b1 (standard wood stock) Not sure what country of origin.

A relative of mine gave this to me yesterday to "play with" and get sighted in (he doesn't shoot it often or have the adjustment tool). I may end up making an offer on this, after I test it out.

My initial observations:
It is solid as a rock, and has a nice heft to it (compared to my GP1975). It doesn't rattle, the mags fit much tighter, and the foregrips are solid (gas tube is solid). The barrel is heavier (obviously thicker by looks) and has a stainless bolt. It also has the grenade sights, and a serial number branded into the buttstock, which is cool. Overall a very sturdy rifle, one that feels like it would last in the field. If it shoots as well as it feels, would be a great addition to my collection.

I'm no AK guru like some here, so any info regarding either of these rifles would be appreciated!

EDIT: Sorry for the pics, cell phone camera! I'll see if I can borrow the Lady's camera later today.

Attachments

·
Knife Maker
726 Posts
M70B is from Yugoslavia and is better made all around. Plus as I understand it not very many kits for those were imported and they are not nearly as easy to get as any of the Romanian models.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've owned both. Obviously, both are Century guns and can have quality problems. *Note, I am not anti-Century and currently own a WASR and a Draco.

The M70 was solid as a rock, but was HEAVY. It also had a high stock which hit my cheekbone when I shot it. This gun was just plain unpleasant for me to shoot and that was the main reason I sold it. Another thing that I didn't care for was the lack of interchangability with other AK parts.

My first GP1975 had an out of spec receiver and wouldn't go 2 rounds without jamming. It also had badly canted sights. It got sent back to Century and its replacement ran like a top, but I traded it away for my Arsenal SGL-21. Overall impressions were that it was an okay gun, but the poly furniture seemed cheap.

I don't know if it is an issue for you, but neither the M70 nor the GP1975 have a chrome-lined barrel.

Hope this helps.

***BTW, I totally agree that the serial number on the stock of a M70 looks cool.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm no expert on AK's but when it comes to those rifles I've been told to watch out for anything Romanian and most people know of the build quality issues that come from Century- put those both together and it doesn't make for a good outcome. Personally I'll never own a Romanian kit build weapon of any kind, just my preference and mainly because of your example the Yugo, Polish and Bulgarian ones seem to be of a better quality. Wish I'd gotten the AK Yugo M-70 underfolder with polymer furniture while they were still around. I'd buy a stock Saiga before I even considered a WASR.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must have been lucky with these two. Neither have issues with sights or reliability. Though the GP doesn't feel solid, compared to the M70.

The M70 is heavy with the 1.5mm thick receiver and heavy barrel. I like the heft though, still nowhere close to my M1a in weight.

(Un)fortunately my range doesn't allow for FMJ so I don't shoot mil-surp ammo, so the chrome barrel doesn't effect me much.

The fit and finish of this M70 is impressive, especially from Century!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no way of knowing for sure, but I remember reading that Century contracted out the building of their M70s, and that is a possible reason for the better build quality usually seen with the Yugo rifles.
A quick google search reveals that is the word on the street. Now I saw nothing official, but comparing these two Century builds, I'd believe it. There is a stark difference in quality. That, or they just rush the romanians out while taking it slow with the yugos... Who knows!

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Like many bulk arms companies, Century does farm out it's builds, in part or in whole depending on the gun.

So depending on the skill of the company they hire out to, that's the quality you get.

I've seen some Century guns that were as good as the Arsenals and Valmet's.
Other's could have been built by 'crack monkeys'.

Inspect, choose wisely, test fire.

good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the following Century YUGOS in my collection. 3 M70B1, 2 M70b2(underfolders) and two M72 RPK. As long as I am alive these will always be in my collection. It is true that these were contracted out at least in some cases, I believe Global Tool was one of the contractors(one mine is marked as such). Now the true YUGOs also did not have chrome lined barrels. These are the only Century AK 47 rifles that I own but they have been worth every penny and their value has climbed quite a bit since I bought most of the them. Paid 475 each for each RPK in 2007 and now they fetch between 750-1000 in the auctions. The M70B1s about 650-800. The M70B2 can be found a little easier than the others but still goe 550-800. There are not many YUGO kits out there and these were done well. If you can find them keep em. I dont knock Century these days, in my thoughts they seem to be trying to get things right. But it in the past these rifles were hidden diamonds.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Here's my breif review on these two models, a comparison based on handling only (have yet to fire the M70).

Century Arms GP1975 (the one pictured with the black stock) Romanian Origin

I've had this for a while, I traded an old bolt action for it years ago. I don't take it out too often, but it shoots straight and doesn't jam. It doesn't feel like a great rifle in the hands though, little bit of rattle, everything is loose fitting. It has the receiver dimples, but still slight mag wobble, and the gas tube is kind of loose as well. Overall, a cheap rifle, but I know it will shoot when I pull the trigger. A good rifle to keep around, but I would hand it out to a friend, then grab a different rifle out of the safe for me.

Century Arms M70b1 (standard wood stock) Not sure what country of origin.

A relative of mine gave this to me yesterday to "play with" and get sighted in (he doesn't shoot it often or have the adjustment tool). I may end up making an offer on this, after I test it out.

My initial observations:
It is solid as a rock, and has a nice heft to it (compared to my GP1975). It doesn't rattle, the mags fit much tighter, and the foregrips are solid (gas tube is solid). The barrel is heavier (obviously thicker by looks) and has a stainless bolt. It also has the grenade sights, and a serial number branded into the buttstock, which is cool. Overall a very sturdy rifle, one that feels like it would last in the field. If it shoots as well as it feels, would be a great addition to my collection.

I'm no AK guru like some here, so any info regarding either of these rifles would be appreciated!

EDIT: Sorry for the pics, cell phone camera! I'll see if I can borrow the Lady's camera later today.
If you plan on getting a spound suppressor the grenade sight is also a gas shutoff that keeps the bolt closed. Much quieter one shot at a time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.