Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half or so my sister finally decided to acquire a pistol after much persuasion. Couldn't talk her into a rifle then but got her started training on the pistol. We were about 75 miles apart so we only got so far but she lived adjacent to one of the largest ranges in N.H. both in size and diversity and she sought out, too slowly, some training.

Then she moved to Virginia where, obviously, I can't help her. She finally realized a rifle should be part of her preparations. I suggested she find a LGS and/or range where she can try different things out. Therein lies the rub. Not really part of the gun culture but trying, she is getting exasperated in even finding a LGS never mind a range. She's willing to travel some distance but isn't having much luck. She lives in Powhatan, about 40 miles west of Richmond.

Mindful that she's very new to this, can anyone give some advice on where to look? Even a reasonable Gun Shop would be probably enough as she could piggyback range locations from there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is an extensive list.

I've heard good things about the Colonial Shooting Academy, which is fairly new and in Richmond's West End.

I've shot at Dominion in Richmond's South Side. It's older and the owners insist you shoot their ammo, but the armoror several years ago was helpful and first rate.

I've been meaning to try the Amelia Wildlife Management Area, which is outdoors and open to the public. There are extensive safety restrictions and make sure it's open before you go.

I have also shot at The Smoking Gun (not mentioned in the big list)in Colonial Heights. It is small and no-frills but very friendly.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,562 Posts
Colonial has a bit of a bad rap in my area (Hampton Roads) they are incredibly expensive, require B.S. classes ( more $) to do simple things like draw from a holster (and require that you use their "tactical" range which is never available), and are generally snobbish over-priced A-holes who hire all of the local reject instructors.

I'm part of a decently sized local shooting group that avoids that place like the plague.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
472 Posts
In the Richmond area Greentop Sports shop is probably the best gun shop around. But it is a drive from Powatan. Their web site is

greentophuntfish.com

Drive down highway 60 into Chesterfield and there is a small gun shop called Bob Moats Sports Shop. Its about 25 miles from Powatan. Southern Gun World is also on Route 60, but I don't go there. My brothers do. Its across from the State Police.

Colonial I think is pistol only. Its on Broad Street Richmond.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Colonial has a bit of a bad rap in my area (Hampton Roads) they are incredibly expensive, require B.S. classes ( more $) to do simple things like draw from a holster (and require that you use their "tactical" range which is never available), and are generally snobbish over-priced A-holes who hire all of the local reject instructors.

I'm part of a decently sized local shooting group that avoids that place like the plague.

Semper Fi
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with that opinion. I get the stink eye when I walk in, it is a very uncomfortable feeling store.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts

Semper Fi
I ended up joining the airfield gun club out in Wakefield. Great club and priced quite reasonably. It is like $100.00 a year.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.