Survivalist Forum banner
81 - 100 of 238 Posts

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Why is increasing the value of each ounce pointless ?

Please explain what makes gold and silver promissory notes.
It's use as currency is limited by it's capacity to be divided, and dividing it sucks and is inefficient. There' not enough gold and silver in the world to facilitate trade. At best it could be used by large groups of people to facilitate large trade deals, but Joe Q public isn't going to use it for every day trade, ever. Eventually after even the most destructive TEOTWAWKI event imaginable, people will always return to paper fiat, digital fiat, and potentially decentralized crypto. PMs will never be a long term standard.

I get it, PM guys want to be proven right and want to come into survival scenarios sitting pretty like kings with their stashes they've collected over the past 50 years... it's never happening the way so many in here think it will.

Invest in guns, ammo, food, land, water/filtration/collection, solar, distilleries, tools, and any number of things that will prove far more valuable first. Invest in your mental, physical, spiritual, and social health, your knowledge/skills, literally everything before PMs. PMs are the very last thing that any logical prepper should be expending valuable time, energy and money on collecting.

· Registered
687 Posts
It's use as currency is limited by it's capacity to be divided, and dividing it sucks and is inefficient. There' not enough gold and silver in the world to facilitate trade. At best it could be used by large groups of people to facilitate large trade deals, but Joe Q public isn't going to use it for every day trade, ever. Eventually after even the most destructive TEOTWAWKI event imaginable, people will always return to paper fiat, digital fiat, and potentially decentralized crypto. PMs will never be a long term standard.

I get it, PM guys want to be proven right and want to come into survival scenarios sitting pretty like kings with their stashes they've collected over the past 50 years... it's never happening the way so many in here think it will.

Invest in guns, ammo, food, land, water/filtration/collection, solar, distilleries, tools, and any number of things that will prove far more valuable first. Invest in your mental, physical, spiritual, and social health, your knowledge/skills, literally everything before PMs. PMs are the very last thing that any logical prepper should be expending valuable time, energy and money on collecting.
Gold and silver have been used as money for literally thousands of years, more recently is has been used to back the dollar. A problem has only arisen since the gold standard was dropped in 1971. Precious metals are the only proven way to go, there is no other.

Gold is not an investment, and is of no use in survival scenarios. it is however time proven wealth preservation.

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Gold and silver have been used as money for literally thousands of years, more recently is has been used to back the dollar. A problem has only arisen since the gold standard was dropped in 1971. Precious metals are the only proven way to go, there is no other.

Gold is not an investment, and is of no use in survival scenarios. it is however time proven wealth preservation.
Gold backed paper currency is rarely if ever what I hear mentioned in here when discussing survival scenarios. I'm not inherently against a gold backed currency, it would be superior to the funny money we've used for three generations now. I am against fractional (or no reserve as we currently have) reserve banking and massive expansion of fiat money supply that outpaces population growth by several times over and enriches the elite while enslaving the poor and middle class.

95% of the time when PM guys on here discuss this topic it's "electricity bad, Grog only trust physical gold". Gold backed currency, which would obviously sooner or later be used digitally, is perfectly fine, although I doubt I see any governments do so in my lifetime.

For my entire lifetime, gold has been a mediocre preserver of wealth and for the past 20 years it's been outpaced by literally everything under the sun. That trend will likely continue until a complete collapse.

· Registered
124 Posts
NO paper currency has EVER survived beyond three generations.

No matter its guarantees; eventually the guarantees are rescended.

Whether in the Ming Dynasty, where paper money was created; or John Law's private notes in France...on to Wiemar and Venezuela, and now us.

Only hard money, precious-metal currency, offers stability.

· Registered
124 Posts
For my entire lifetime, gold has been a mediocre preserver of wealth and for the past 20 years it's been outpaced by literally everything under the sun. That trend will likely continue until a complete collapse.
My gold has increased 400 percent in 17 years. I bought in at about $500 an ounce; we've been near $2000 an ounce for some time. Only manipulation - sales back and forth of gold derivatives, between mega-banks - have driven the official price down.

That may be coming to an end, as the whole mega-bank environment may be about to self-destruct.

I expect it to trade at about $3000 in a couple of years...but, there's no factoring in the corruption and manipulation of this lawless government. Yes, a government can destroy wealth - with bombs or regulations or fiat edicts, setting prices...any of those are all of those.

· Registered
687 Posts
Gold backed paper currency is rarely if ever what I hear mentioned in here when discussing survival scenarios. I'm not inherently against a gold backed currency, it would be superior to the funny money we've used for three generations now. I am against fractional (or no reserve as we currently have) reserve banking and massive expansion of fiat money supply that outpaces population growth by several times over and enriches the elite while enslaving the poor and middle class.

95% of the time when PM guys on here discuss this topic it's "electricity bad, Grog only trust physical gold". Gold backed currency, which would obviously sooner or later be used digitally, is perfectly fine, although I doubt I see any governments do so in my lifetime.

Gold backed currency is fine so long as it can be redeemed without question.

I bought my first ounce of gold 12 years ago for $1330 CAD, that same ounce of gold is presently valued at $2731.

Given the above I would say gold a fantastic preserver of wealth, and judging by the actions of governments around the world I am most certainly not alone.

Are any governments presently hoarding crypto currencies ?

· Registered
5,361 Posts
Why do you consider a fiat currency necessary as a peg for gold ? I bought my first ounce of gold about 12 years ago for $1330 CAD, today that ounce of gold is worth $2731 CAD, yet it buys approximately the same as it did when I initially bought it.... How do you determine the value of a Canadian dollar ?

I think Gold should be the peg for everything else.
I don't view it as your gold can buy $2731 CAD worth of goods. Your gold must first be converted to the CAD in order to realize / spend the value of that gold. Once CBDCs are in place, there won't be CAD to convert your gold to. Wanting to remove PMs from circulation, the government(s) might buy your gold, but they're not going to pay what you deem it was worth in CAD. I doubt they would even bother buying it at all however.

· Registered
5,361 Posts
Precious metals have been money since the dawn of civilization.

But that's the exception. Gold and silver have been money before America, before Great Britain; and will be money long after we collapse - which appears to be imminent.

All you need to use gold or silver as money, is to have someone willing to accept it for goods or services.
They used to be money. They aren't anymore, not without conversion. It would take the worst case, long term dystopian nightmare for humans worldwide to even try resorting back to PMs for daily exchange. There are billions more humans on the planet now that would need to utilize it than there were back in antiquity. There wouldn't be enough gold and silver to go around.

· Registered
687 Posts
I don't view it as your gold can buy $2731 CAD worth of goods. Your gold must first be converted to the CAD in order to realize / spend the value of that gold. Once CBDCs are in place, there won't be CAD to convert your gold to. Wanting to remove PMs from circulation, the government(s) might buy your gold, but they're not going to pay what you deem it was worth in CAD. I doubt they would even bother buying it at all however.
Yes my ounce of gold can buy $2731 worth of goods, but the amount of goods it buys is more or less the same as it was 12 years ago, and yes in order to realize the $2731 in Canadian dollars I would need to exchange the gold to $. If the government were to buy my gold I would think they would simply do what they did in the US, they would pay the full amount for it and then raise it's value when they had it all in hand, thereby devaluing the $. Collectable gold coins and tom foolery were not affected.

As for myself I have mainly silver, ( which governments have never confiscated ) all of it is collectable 0lympic series maple leaves .

Gold has been highly valued for many thousands of years, and regardless of what governments do it will always be highly valued. I bought another ounce only yesterday.;)
Saving Coin Money handling Currency Money

It's as good as Gold

· Registered
687 Posts
They used to be money. They aren't anymore, not without conversion. It would take the worst case, long term dystopian nightmare for humans worldwide to even try resorting back to PMs for daily exchange. There are billions more humans on the planet now that would need to utilize it than there were back in antiquity. There wouldn't be enough gold and silver to go around.
They used to be money and they still are. US and Canadian mint issued gold and silver coins have face value and are legal tender.

What makes you think there is not enough gold and silver to go around ?
Head Chin Coin Money handling Currency

Gold and Silver is Gods money.

· Registered
124 Posts
Temporary unwise laws. Laws, like governments, are temporary.

Absolute truths and realities, abide. Gold and silver became money very early in proto-man's history of civilization, and remain so.

Fiat money always fails.

Yes, there is a conversion process. And it helps to understand what is happening.

Back 150 years ago, two gold coins ($20 gold pieces) were a month's wages for a skilled artisan.

An ounce of gold (20) would buy you the best suit available.

Today, two ounces of gold ($4000) are a month's wages for the average non-professional.

An ounce of gold ($2000) buys you a fine suit.

The value of gold, remains relatively constant over time. UNLIKE printed-up fiat currency.

· Registered
124 Posts
I keep hearing this from PM bugs yet nowhere on earth has been the case in the past 50+ years (realistically much longer excluding isolated events), even in 3rd world countries. PM use will never be used outside of very limited use cases no matter what the global conditions are. Delusional fantasies of romanticized dystopian futures where every single thing that could go wrong has gone wrong to justify the long term use of PMs is the .00001% scenario so many of you are banking on. I'd prefer to prep for scenarios that are orders of magnitude more likely and in those scenarios barter/trade/commerce is far more likely to be direct goods (food, water, filtering, tools, guns, ammo, clothing, materials, etc) in the beginning and then a transition back to digital or paper fiat; PMs becoming the standard just isn't likely.

The genie is out of the bottle, humanity will have electricity and internet access moving forward. There will be no permanent return to the stone age because the path has already been tread and the heavy lifting done. Localized disruptions in electricity and internet sure, potentially even for extended periods of time, but that's it. Advances in batteries/solar and expansion of starlink will further solidify this as time moves forward. If Africans in the middle of nowhere, individuals in war torn countries, and people during massive natural disasters use technology now, guess what, it'll be available and used in the future too no matter the global calamity.
So...if you think nothing is going to interrupt our modernity...why do you prepare? What's the point? Power is on forever. Not unlike those Roman aqueducts.

· Registered
13 Posts
A Real Warning For America ...
THIS Video will Shake You AWAKE
Geo Digital Fencing: IT IS ALREADY SET UP
Face Recognition
Digital Identity
Access Control Everywhere
Limited Mobility
Weaponized Surveillance
This Video STARTS at 4 minutes in after the Bank Failure Intro

· read more, post less
1,054 Posts
<snip>Recently POTUS made a speech where he declared that all Repubs are terrorists.
Recently? Recently???? Where the heck have you been? How about every single time every single Democrat has talked about Republicans since way before Jan 6, from the President (and candidates) on down to state governors (Katie Hobbs is one) to city council persons!

· Registered
2,569 Posts
My gold has increased 400 percent in 17 years. I bought in at about $500 an ounce; we've been near $2000 an ounce for some time. Only manipulation - sales back and forth of gold derivatives, between mega-banks - have driven the official price down.
As is so often the case during these discussions with PM guys, your memory is wrong sir. You didn't buy gold for $500 an ounce 17 years ago. You may have done so 20+ years ago conveniently at the very best time to buy gold in the past 50 years though (seems to always be the case with shrewd PM investors). I can do the same with crypto but I generally avoid doing so because price isn't my major interest. I mined BTC when it was $12 a pop in 2012, I'm up 1600x there, and mined ETH in 2016 when it was around $12 as well, that's a 141x gain. Using your logic I should tell everyone that crypto is the best investment under the sun because I timed things perfectly (I don't). ;)

So as to cherry pick the other end of the story, individuals who purchased Gold in 2011-2013 are under water with their investment denominated in dollars, let alone purchasing power which is less than 50% of what it was then.

Gold is a poor store of value compared to almost any other physical good let alone paper investments, crypto, etc. There's a reason the vast majority of people under 45yo don't care about gold, it's been a poor performer during their adult lives. I suspect we'll see gold trade sideways over the next five years and likely dip back down into the $1,400-$,1500 range with a return to $2,200-$2,500 gold late in the decade.

Rectangle Product Slope Azure Plot

· Registered
2,569 Posts
So...if you think nothing is going to interrupt our modernity...why do you prepare? What's the point? Power is on forever. Not unlike those Roman aqueducts.
Where did I say anything of the sort? Where have I ever said that interruptions to our comfy, easy modern lives won't happen and that prepping isn't essential to survival? Reread what I've written.

· Registered
124 Posts
As is so often the case during these discussions with PM guys, your memory is wrong sir. You didn't buy gold for $500 an ounce 17 years ago. You may have done so 20+ years ago conveniently at the very best time to buy gold in the past 50 years though (seems to always be the case with shrewd PM investors). I can do the same with crypto but I generally avoid doing so because price isn't my major interest. I mined BTC when it was $12 a pop in 2012, I'm up 1600x there, and mined ETH in 2016 when it was around $12 as well, that's a 141x gain. Using your logic I should tell everyone that crypto is the best investment under the sun because I timed things perfectly (I don't). ;)

So as to cherry pick the other end of the story, individuals who purchased Gold in 2011-2013 are under water with their investment denominated in dollars, let alone purchasing power which is less than 50% of what it was then.

Gold is a poor store of value compared to almost any other physical good let alone paper investments, crypto, etc. There's a reason the vast majority of people under 45yo don't care about gold, it's been a poor performer during their adult lives. I suspect we'll see gold trade sideways over the next five years and likely dip back down into the $1,400-$,1500 range with a return to $2,200-$2,500 gold late in the decade.

View attachment 508626
Did you notice your chart is INFLATION ADJUSTED?

I bought considerable gold at the $550 range in 2005 or so.

I saved the receipts.

Adjusting for inflation, I gained nothing.

Adjusting for inflation, holders of fiat-dollars LOST three-quarters of their purchase power.

Adjusting for inflation - and subject to Capital Gains taxes - stock buyers lost a little. Depending on their portfolios, of course.

No, gold did for me what it's supposed to do. It protected me from currency debasement.

81 - 100 of 238 Posts