Survivalist Forum banner
61 - 80 of 238 Posts

· Registered
687 Posts
Seems to me that PMs only have value if they can be sold / converted to government fiat. When CBDCs are ushered in, that government fiat will be the CBDCs. All other currencies will be deemed illegal. They’re not going to exchange CBDCs for pms. If there was an industrial need for your gold, it would be purchased with CBDC. For a time, PM holders may trade between themselves on black markets, but how would value be determined when their is no government currency to peg it to? CBDCs will render pms and crypto worthless I believe.
When people understand the value of gold and silver they will use it for its original purpose.

Gold is a worldwide currency, it always has been and always will be. Governments know that , that's why they hoard it themselves. Governments don't value CBDC's they value gold and silver

· Registered
2,569 Posts
Nope, I make no case.

You need an extensive, worldwide infrastructure for crypto to work. The world-wide web. Others with computers who believe in 1s and 0s as money.

In a catastrophe, that won't be the case.

In a political revolution/crackdown, bitcoin exchanges will go the way of the Silk Road trading site. Go the way that file-transfer protocol programs (like Napster and Limewire) - that is, government will shut them down.

If the e-money fans have PMs...good on them. They should have more. I think they're deluding themselves that this electronic scrip will have any value at all, when things get "real."

When people understand the value of gold and silver they will use it for its original purpose.

Gold is a worldwide currency, it always has been and always will be. Governments know that , that's why they hoard it themselves. Governments don't value CBDC's they value gold and silver
I keep hearing this from PM bugs yet nowhere on earth has been the case in the past 50+ years (realistically much longer excluding isolated events), even in 3rd world countries. PM use will never be used outside of very limited use cases no matter what the global conditions are. Delusional fantasies of romanticized dystopian futures where every single thing that could go wrong has gone wrong to justify the long term use of PMs is the .00001% scenario so many of you are banking on. I'd prefer to prep for scenarios that are orders of magnitude more likely and in those scenarios barter/trade/commerce is far more likely to be direct goods (food, water, filtering, tools, guns, ammo, clothing, materials, etc) in the beginning and then a transition back to digital or paper fiat; PMs becoming the standard just isn't likely.

The genie is out of the bottle, humanity will have electricity and internet access moving forward. There will be no permanent return to the stone age because the path has already been tread and the heavy lifting done. Localized disruptions in electricity and internet sure, potentially even for extended periods of time, but that's it. Advances in batteries/solar and expansion of starlink will further solidify this as time moves forward. If Africans in the middle of nowhere, individuals in war torn countries, and people during massive natural disasters use technology that use electricity and internet now, guess what; it'll be available and used in the future too no matter the global calamity.

· Registered
687 Posts
I keep hearing this from PM bugs yet nowhere on earth has been the case in the past 50+ years (realistically much longer excluding isolated events), even in 3rd world countries. PM use will never be used outside of very limited use cases no matter what the global conditions are. Delusional fantasies of romanticized dystopian futures where every single thing that could go wrong has gone wrong to justify the long term use of PMs is the .00001% scenario so many of you are banking on. I'd prefer to prep for scenarios that are orders of magnitude more likely.

The genie is out of the bottle, humanity will have electricity and internet access moving forward. There will be no permanent return to the stone age because the path has already been tread and the heavy lifting done. Localized disruptions in electricity and internet sure, potentially even for extended periods of time, but that's it. If Africans in the middle of nowhere, individuals in war torn countries, and people during massive natural disasters use technology now, guess what, it'll be available and used in the future too no matter the global calamity.
Many US states have legalized gold as legal tender, and others are presently in the process of doing the same.

Wake up !

· Registered
7,729 Posts
What it does mean is that people will be very happy to use gold as money
Except it won't be allowed. Once they clamp down on us with the CBDC, the narrative will be that PMs are the "currency of terrorists." I would not be surprised if possession of gold/silver bullion is made illegal. It's been done before.

· Registered
5,361 Posts

Governments know that , that's why they hoard it themselves.
Yes, some governments have been stockpiling gold I will admit. At the same time, some are positioning themselves to force CBDCs upon us. That would be a contradiction of agenda, and it is a little confusing. I think the breakdown is this - the more Communist favorable governments lean towards nationalism versus globalism. China and Russia are gathering gold while the woke nations under the thumb of the deep state globalists like the U.S. are moving towards CBDCs. Just my observation.

· Registered
687 Posts
Except it won't be allowed. Once they clamp down on us with the CBDC, the narrative will be that PMs are the "currency of terrorists." I would not be surprised if possession of gold/silver bullion is made illegal. It's been done before.
Sometimes people don't do what they are told. It's been done before.

· Registered
687 Posts
Yes, some governments have been stockpiling gold I will admit. At the same time, some are positioning themselves to force CBDCs upon us. That would be a contradiction of agenda, and it is a little confusing. I think the breakdown is this - the more Communist favorable governments lean towards nationalism versus globalism. China and Russia are gathering gold while the woke nations under the thumb of the deep state globalists like the U.S. are moving towards CBDCs. Just my observation.
China and Russia are members of the WEF, they want CBDC's too.

· Registered
5,361 Posts
China and Russia are members of the WEF, they want CBDC's too.
Are you sure sovereign governments are formally members of the WEF? I think the globalists embedded within worldwide governments are steering them towards it, but I don't think governments are formally considered as members. Do the oligarchs of Russia or the CCP leadership really want to share the power of the one world order with other globalists in the WEF?

· Registered
687 Posts
Are you sure sovereign governments are formally members of the WEF? I think the globalists embedded within worldwide governments are steering them towards it, but I don't think governments are formally considered as members. Do the oligarchs of Russia or the CCP leadership really want to share the power of the one world order with other globalists in the WEF?
I can not say what they want to do, but I can say without doubt that they are all members of the WEF.

· Registered
687 Posts
Without a fiat to peg it's value to, how do you determine how much value an ounce of gold is worth? I'm not trying to badger you, I'm really curious how this would work.
Why do you consider a fiat currency necessary as a peg for gold ? I bought my first ounce of gold about 12 years ago for $1330 CAD, today that ounce of gold is worth $2731 CAD, yet it buys approximately the same as it did when I initially bought it.... How do you determine the value of a Canadian dollar ?

I think Gold should be the peg for everything else.

· Registered
124 Posts
Seems to me that PMs only have value if they can be sold / converted to government fiat. When CBDCs are ushered in, that government fiat will be the CBDCs. All other currencies will be deemed illegal. They’re not going to exchange CBDCs for pms. If there was an industrial need for your gold, it would be purchased with CBDC. For a time, PM holders may trade between themselves on black markets, but how would value be determined when their is no government currency to peg it to? CBDCs will render pms and crypto worthless I believe.
Precious metals have been money since the dawn of civilization.

Governments come and go. The lifespan of a great power is about 250 years...only noteworthy exception is Rome; and that, because they were twice reformatted. The Roman Republic came and went; into the chaos arose Julius Caesar, with his plans for a benevolent dictatorship.

Which lasted another 300 years. The empire in decline, it split - East and West, Rome and Byzantium; and while Rome collapsed, Byzantium continued another two centuries, and declined gently

But that's the exception. Gold and silver have been money before America, before Great Britain; and will be money long after we collapse - which appears to be imminent.

All you need to use gold or silver as money, is to have someone willing to accept it for goods or services.

· Registered
50 Posts
Without a fiat to peg it's value to, how do you determine how much value an ounce of gold is worth? I'm not trying to badger you, I'm really curious how this would work.
An ounce of gold at the end of the world...probably worth what it is at the last market glimpse...in today’s case that’ll be about 7.3 mil sats

If things ever got that bad, there would be no peg. It’s worth would differ person to person and how bad they wanted it. If I was in the desert and thirsty, I’d give a kilo of gold for a bottle of water. Name your own scenario.

I agree the delusional fantasies many have here about PMs becoming the currency of the apocalypse is ridiculous though. The currency in that scenario would be 100% hard goods or services like EW mentioned. I also think the same posters who fantasize about the complete end of the “grid” will be disappointed. Most craphole third world countries have internet, cell phones, and power...even if they don’t have clean water or abundance of food.

SHTF or societal collapse doesn’t mean “the grid” disappears everywhere

· Registered
124 Posts
I agree the delusional fantasies many have here about PMs becoming the currency of the apocalypse is ridiculous though. The currency in that scenario would be 100% hard goods or services like EW mentioned. I also think the same posters who fantasize about the complete end of the “grid” will be disappointed. Most craphole third world countries have internet, cell phones, and power...even if they don’t have clean water or abundance of food.
There's many sorts of SHTF events. Everything from an EMP or nuke attack, to generalized famine or another release of a lab virus...this time, maybe, more successful, from TPTB's standpoint.

We may or may not have the grid. If we have devastating famine; or invasion by a hostile power here to loot...the grid ain't staying up. Because it needs men and equipment and supplies and paying customers, to stay up.

But, to your point: Yes, when in an EOTWAWKI event, gold will be useless. Silver will have some utility but not greatly so. As you say, barter will be the rule of the day. Commodities will be food, liquor, salt, spices...services, skilled or mercenary. Sex. Yes, it will be ugly.

That's in the chaos. Chaos won't last long. CANNOT last long. If it lasts, if it is deliberately prolonged, then...all fall down. Dead.

Because chaos is unsustainable.

Gold and silver are for AFTERWARDS. When order and local civilization re-emerges. Trade is the natural activity of Man; and bartering milk or picked crops for other needs, doesn't work well. What if the tailor or cobbler has a cow? He doesn't want your milk. You have to find a "buyer" in a day or so, or it becomes waste.

Precious metals are...money. Money is a placeholder. Money is what you offer for what others have, that they can take to offer for what they need that still others have. It eliminates the awkwardness and spoilage of barter.

Dollars and bitcoin won't do it.

· Registered
50 Posts
I love how most all the discussions here devolve into end of the world grid down scenarios. The op was about CBDC...guess the end of that conversation is, “well it won’t matter after the grid collapses!”. Guess there’s not much need discussing the things that are impacting us right now then. It is what it is

· Registered
7,803 Posts
For gold and silver, there are only a few ounces per capita worldwide. Meanwhile, the same population wants higher wages, better returns on their investment, borrow and spend more, etc.

Increasing the value of each ounce is pointless; you might as well drop any way to create a standard.

Also, as pointed out earlier, gold and silver are promissory notes, just like money; that is, besides any applications that are not relevant when things fall apart.

· Registered
687 Posts
For gold and silver, there are only a few ounces per capita worldwide. Meanwhile, the same population wants higher wages, better returns on their investment, borrow and spend more, etc.

Increasing the value of each ounce is pointless; you might as well drop any way to create a standard.

Also, as pointed out earlier, gold and silver are promissory notes, just like money; that is, besides any applications that are not relevant when things fall apart.

Why is increasing the value of each ounce pointless ?

Please explain what makes gold and silver promissory notes.

61 - 80 of 238 Posts