Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a place where I can find a list of edible plants for the central arkansas area. Or what plants do you suggest would be the best for the area. Thanks for all your help

Scratch

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
To my knowledge there isn't one specifically about Arkansas (or few states since most plant populations don't recognize state lines.) Also, your amount of knowledge so far is also an important factor. The most common book is the Peterson's Field Guide to Edible Plants in North America. It reaches Arkansas and is usually available in most bookstores. It has diagrams and pictures.

Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest, A Practical Guide By Delena Tull also contains a lot of plants found in your area. This is for the more advanced student because it has less diagrams et cetera, preferring to comment on the plants and be a "practical" guide than a field guide.

You can also go to my website. Many of the plants I mention can be found in your area. www.eattheweeds.com

To find out if a plant is in your area you can type the scientific name in google search with the letters USDA. That should take to you search list that includes "plant profile" by the USDA. Click on the link and it will show you a distribution map of that plant.

For example if you type in apios americana USDA in the google search field the new page will show the USDA link on top of the list. That will take you to this page http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=APAM scroll down that page and you will see the apios is definitely in Arkansas. It is a prime wild edible.

The one other thing you can do is check with the local chapter of the Native Plant Society and also look up any books on local Indian tribes and their dietary habits.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Does anyone know a place where I can find a list of edible plants for the central arkansas area. Or what plants do you suggest would be the best for the area. Thanks for all your help

Scratch
I'm a little north of you in Southwest Missouri.

Right now & thru early March the only thing I have growing & in a very low profile state of growth is Chickweed. When it warms up this one will be everywhere with a venegence until it gets really warm.

Mustard, Wild Onions, Dandelions, etc. will be everywhere in April thru July...

I recommend you go to Google Images & put in those four & that will get you started.

·
Cautious
30 Posts
April 18, 2009
10 am - 1 pm
Edible and Medicinal Plant Workshop
Pinnacle Mountain State Park
Meet at the visitor center.
Accessible Accessibility

Learn traditional uses for some common Arkansas plants during this workshop, which includes both indoor and outdoor sessions. Advance registration and payment required. Contact the park for further details.
Admission: $15
[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm working on a google based document that will have edible plants for Arkansas that includes pictures. The end product will be a laminated pocket guide. If you interested let me know and I'll send you a copy. But as far current resources the day course at Pinnacle as mentioned above is supposed to be really good. I'm planning on attending it myself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Don't forget poke sallet. Just be sure that you boil it at least twice, draining off the liquid each time. After that, you can cook it up with scrambled eggs and makes a great meal. I remember a couple of folks that moved to Arkansas years ago from somewhere up north. New England maybe. Anyway, they had heard to locals talking about poke sallet and misunderstood, think they were saying polk salad and just assumed that you ate it raw in a salad. After someone pointed out the plant the couple picked a good sized mess and ate it with salad dressing and dang near expired from the results. Spent many hours on the pot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Straight Razor, I would like to say thank you for your wonderful website. I found it several weeks ago and have been studying it like a madwoman!

I am in North Central Arkansas, and find the same issues locating specific information for this area. New to here from way up NW, lots of strange and wonderful things to be found!

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Survival School in Arkansas

If you want to come learn wild edibles there is a new school around the Fort Smith Arkansas area. We will be putting on wild edible classes or people can come down to the school one weekend when there is no class and I will show you the edibles for free. Website is www.sigma3survivalschool.com and my email is [email protected]

Good Luck!

·
Para Bellum
3,855 Posts
Another place for learning about Arkansas plants is here:
Ozark Tracker Society Edible & Medicinal Plant Series
https://www.ozarktrackers.org/Plant_Series.html

Year long course, spanning the seasons. Expensive? $775 for the full course

Class Format:

Guided Plant Hike to and from course location
Combination of Focused Class Time with Hands-On Field Activities/Exercises
Plant Identification walks/exercises with noted naturalist Kent Bonar
Local Ecology/Ecological Indicators
Sustainable Harvesting/Wildcrafting
Synergy of Human Physiology with Plant Medicines
Wild Meals as available

What you will learn:
Hazards
Trees
Edibles (Seasonal)
Medicinals (Seasonal)
Survival/Utilitarian Plants (Making fire, rope, etc.)
Locating, Identifying, and Using Seasonal wild food plants
Learning how to effectively use field guides
Nature Journaling & Sketching

Healing- Medicinal Herbs
Herbs for Elimination (6 classes of herbs)

1. Diaphoretics
2. Diuretics
3. Laxatives
4. Emmenogogues
5. Emetics
6. Expectorants

Herbs for Restoring (5 classes of herbs)

1. Neurocardiac and coronary restoratives
2. Sweet digestive restoratives
3. Urinary restoratives
4. Uterine restoratives
5. Reproductive restoratives

Herbal Stimulants (4 classes of herbs)

1. Cardiovascular stimulants
2. Muscular stimulants (diaphoretic antirheumatic/antiarthritics)
3. Pungent warm digestive stimulants (carminatives)
4. Bitter cool digestive stimulants (liver decongestion, cholagogue laxatives)

Winter Foods and Practical Uses of Plants

We will shift our focus to wild foods that can be found in the winter and the various practical uses of plants for such things as cordage, friction fire making, musical instruments, sewing, leather substitutes, basketry, etc.

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
wild edible class

The ozark tracker society class listed above is no longer available. That is an old class, i know all the instructors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm working on a google based document that will have edible plants for Arkansas that includes pictures. The end product will be a laminated pocket guide. If you interested let me know and I'll send you a copy. But as far current resources the day course at Pinnacle as mentioned above is supposed to be really good. I'm planning on attending it myself.
Hai I was just wondering if you still have the document and if so, could you possibly send it to me? Thanks in advance!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts