Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if antenna is the correct term but ever since we put a metal roof on the house my cell phone doesn't come in well. So I though maybe there is something available, like a antenna to help with this problem.

Any thoughts?

·
Ingloriously Deplorable
2,616 Posts
Cell phone signal booster. Outside antenna, box indoors. You'll need to have one that supports your cell service provider including data if you have that. Amazon has them from about 129 ....and up LOL.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Yup.....we've had to install Cel-Fi devices in some our facilities because of the poor coverage indoors for cellular-based VPN back-up solutions.

Link to the devices we use with our AT&T service:

https://cel-fi.com/

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
how about turning the WiFi on and use your modem as an antenna
Yes, that too is another way. Our cell service is with Verizon and they support, in fact encourage, Wi-Fi calling if available. And, it works quite well, at least in our house especially with HD and video calls.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
for single freq., e.bay has for about $65, work great. My wife and I are on different cell plans, so we use the more expensive all band. NO cell phone in the house without, only needed the outdoor antenna 8' above the second story (was thinking we would need up on the 100' tower)

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,996 Posts
how about turning the WiFi on and use your modem as an antenna
That depends on the internet service working when you need it. I was having problems with signal on my new cell phone. Verizon could not find the problem so they sent me one of those WiFi units to use for free. I didn't even take it out of the box. I bought a MingColl cell phone amplifier and my signal went from maybe 1 bar to 4 bars solid, with three bars solid in other rooms and in the basement.
I also downloaded the LTE Discovery app. It is great. It shows your signal strength in dBm, all the other specifications, AND a realtime arrow that points to the cell tower you are using at any one time.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,303 Posts
Do the easiest thing first - if your phone has "wifi calling," enable it. On an iPhone, it's Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Calling > On.

Then you use your phone just like normal, but the connection is over your router instead of through a cell tower. And when you leave your house and find a cell signal, it automatically connects.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,996 Posts
Do the easiest thing first - if your phone has "wifi calling," enable it.
That works great.... until the internet service goes down, then you lose both internet AND cell service. IMO, keeping the two separate may be important, especially during an emergency or catastrophes. There are many reasons where one could go down and not the other.
Eggs, baskets, etc.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,303 Posts
That works great
It sure does.

He asked about getting a cell signal today through his metal roof, and that's something he can do right now at no cost to gain a capability he lacks. That's why I said to do it first, but I didn't say to do only that...and others had given him alternatives already.

·
aka Mental Avenger
4,996 Posts
He asked about getting a cell signal today through his metal roof…..
No, he did not. He did not say anything about today. He said, “ever since we put a metal roof on the house my cell phone doesn't come in well. So I though maybe there is something available, like a antenna to help with this problem.” “ever since” sounds like it has been awhile. Since the metal roof is there to stay, he is obviously looking for a permanent solution. The same thing happened to me when I moved my computer to a room to which I had added a steel roof.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,303 Posts
Lol, I meant today as in "contemporary times" rather than 29 Feb 20, or some undefined time in the future when cell signals and internet are down. I'll leave you to the wordsmithing and let OP decide whether to include Wi-Fi calling in any part of his plan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts