Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried to upload the photos to start a thread and guess I'm not computer-savy enough. My wife had to load them to my profile page for me, and that's as far as we could get them.
But Savagesun4x4 asked me to try and do it differently than I had been trying because My way was not working. after the needed pointers, this is what I discoverd to work for me.
So if you look on my profile it has a album called starting a fire with cedar resin to give you pics. I have labeled them to help(I didn't get them loaded in the right order) people understand. And forget giving me a video project.
Step 1: Was since it had rained, and I cleared out a safe space to put a fire(coffee table wouldn't work for this), I dug out the damp earth, and filled it in with dry sandy soil to prevent steaming the fire out.

Step 2 :Was to gather a small amount of grass to build a bird's nest.

Step3: I gathered some cedar resin off the side of the tree, and if you look at the pics, notice I got the dry/white resin as the other is too sticky and gets on everything but the fire.

Step4 Was to grind the resin into the size of a pea and smaller, close to powder it takes flame better the smaller it is.

Step 5: I placed the resin in the middle of the bird's nest and then bunched into a tight pile.

Step6: of course was to light the fire, as it grew from the grass, the resin melted into an almost golden ball and then slowly started to burn.

Step7: The grass burned down so quickly because of the wind, but the resin held it's own and continued to burn giving me the chance to tinder up the fire with crisp cedar twigs.

Step 8: Was to place larger sticks on the fire and wish it was cold enough for campfire cocoa.

I hope this is what it was supposed to do, because that's what it did for me. I have tried many tries. For me, and the Red Cedar trees here, they won't light off of a spark, and it takes a lot of butane to start with just a bic, but if you use the Resin in with quick light tinder, you can get a fire going that may just save your life.
I am proud of the latest knowledge I have recieved

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
Looks good to me. Not much around here for Cedar but the pine(s) have lots of amber dried around old wounds. I used to keep a paper empty 12 ga full of the stuff. Works as a glue/waterproofing for patching plus makes ropes and stuff less slick. It is also flux for soldering or bullet casting.

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not heard of using it as flux, interesting. Most coniber trees I think are close enough related that it's close enough to the same.

I just never got a fire started that way before. I have used bow drills, and many other ways, and now I know the secret to getting the resin to work for me, I'll still carry cottonballs and paper, but the resin burns slower and longer, and more wind resistant. It will be used when ever I need to for windy days.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Good going, you now got a lifetime supply of firewood for starting fires under the worst of conditions and doing so with ease...

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Looks like you got it!

I can't believe you can't get redcedar bark to take a spark! I'm gonna go make you a video real quick!

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Looks like you got it!

I can't believe you can't get redcedar bark to take a spark! I'm gonna go make you a video real quick!
I did not catch that, I can do a video or pics on making cedar light almost instantly...been clearing her on the place for the past 35 days, getting a bunch of cedar out from under all the oaks I have, cedar SUCKS the water right out of the ground. Cut them down out to the drip line of the trees you want keep, cut down the cedar that looks like a bush rather than a tree...

I am beyond a 100 cords, working off 7 chains on my chainsaw, they dull up about ever 3 days.

Cedar is explosive, they literally explode into flame.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
That is it, big problem is the stuff will burn FAST and you better be ready...

Proper planning prevents pizz poor performance never held any truer!!!!
It burns fast, but it makes some nice coals that will hang around for a good 15 minutes. Once you've got those coals, you're in the clear! :thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you melt cedar resin or pine amber in a can and pour it over pine cones, they make outstanding fire starters. They put out a lot of smoke, but they burn after being dunked in water and burn long enough and hot enough to start damp wood.

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you would need to go and read "reality check?" to see the conversation we were having, to understand this thread. I can and do use the bark often, I am a hiker, and a minimal camper(when I'm alone) but the project started by me saying "I have never got cedar resin to light with a spark" Comes to find out I had been tryingto use it wrong. But the Video was nice. And if you would have had some resin in there, it would have burned slower, and not be ate up by the wind so much. Giving you enough time to add the sticks and twigs and get a realfire going.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
you would need to go and read "reality check?" to see the conversation we were having, to understand this thread. I can and do use the bark often, I am a hiker, and a minimal camper(when I'm alone) but the project started by me saying "I have never got cedar resin to light with a spark" Comes to find out I had been tryingto use it wrong. But the Video was nice. And if you would have had some resin in there, it would have burned slower, and not be ate up by the wind so much. Giving you enough time to add the sticks and twigs and get a realfire going.
LOL, two kinds of camping here. Truck LOAD of stuff, but tent, queen sized sleeping quarters, pots, pans you name it. Take longer to unload and load than it did to go there.

When I go I can carry everything in my ruck and I could stay out 6 mo on what I carry...

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To my wife, we are roughing it when I don't hook up the sattelite dish. LOL
She's getting better at the more minimal side though. So I understand.

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh crap! don't show that to my wife, Shanna, she will make me buy one. But she's not on here that often though.

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, that would last along time, just a little at a time, you could make a bunch of fires with that.

Reactions: hedley
1 - 20 of 25 Posts