1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link:

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/03301001/H1N1_Atlanta.html

Excerpt:

Spike In Atlanta Georgia Deaths Raise Pandemic Concerns
Recombinomics Commentary 19:12
March 30, 2010
Public health officials are so concerned by an uptick of serious cases of H1N1 flu in the southeastern United States that they called a short-notice press briefing today to urge Americans to be vaccinated against the pandemic strain.

Surgeon General Dr. Regina Benjamin and Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC's) National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call that they are particularly concerned about the "worrisome trend" in Georgia, where "more than 40" people were hospitalized in the past week for lab-confirmed flu.

The above comments describe yesterday’s CDC press conference on H1N1 hospitalizations in Georgia. Although the take home message to vaccinate was clear, the details surround the H1N1 increases in hospitalizations and deaths remains cloudy.

The increases in region 4 have been clear for many weeks. The percent positive cases rose to double digits in February and have been at that level throughout February and March. States in region 4 reported increases in hospitalizations and deaths, but the biggest jump came from Georgia which reported 80 new hospitalizations between March 3-9. This jump was 1 shy of the record weekly total from last fall and suggested a third wave was beginning. The GA department of health then put out a March 24 press release noting the jump in hospitalizations and deaths and the need for vaccinations. They cited 1012 H1N1 hospitalizations and 72 deaths. The tables that that time showed 940 hospitalizations and 58 deaths, so the difference of 72 hospitalizations was in line with the prior week’s jump, but the deaths were 14 higher.

The updated tables did match the press release on hospitalizations and the two week total of 152 was a record for reported H1N1inI GA. However, the same table that had 1012 hospitalizations only had 60 deaths, leaving open the gap of 12 deaths between the press release and the updated table. Similarly, other tables which provided weekly age breakdowns of hospitalized and deaths had been showing the greatest numbers in the 25-49 age group, but these tables were running at about 40 cases per week, instead of the 75 cited in the latest two updates in the larger table and confirmed in the March 24 press release.

The CDC press release did little to clear up the confusion on the numbers. The press release focused on hospitalizations and did not mention an increase in deaths. However, testing remains abysmal, so many infected patients are not tested, or are tested with the rapid test, which in some cases has a sensitivity of 10%.

Another approach to monitoring deaths is through P&I reports from 122 cities in the US. Atlanta shows a dramatic jump in deaths. A year ago the rate for weeks 8-11 was 3.3%, but this year the rate was 9.2%, which would represent 31 excessive deaths. The jump for the past two weeks was even more dramatic. In 2009 the rate was 1.8%, but it 2010 it rose to 11.2%. Thus, in 2009 there were 6 P&I deaths for weeks 10 and 11, while in 2010 there were 28.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts

·
It is what it is
793 Posts
I'm more than a bit dubious.

Last year they reported every case of flu, fever, cold, headache and malaise as possible H1N1 to support their propaganda experiment. That was just an exercise in misinformation and mobilization by the government and it was successful.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I live in the Atlanta area. It is HQ for the CDC.

There has been NO mention in any MSM media about this. And there would be IF such a big story were taking place here.

Here is a link to yesterday's (March 30, 2010) CDC H1N1 flu report for the southeastern USA. There is NO mention of unusually high numbers of H1N1 hospitalizations or deaths in Atlanta, Georgia or anywhere in the region.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

So the OP's story is bogus IMO. Beware.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
For those not keeping up with it, there are several variant strains being passed around--perfectly normal for influenza. The issue is that--1) it doesn't spread as easily as last years which is good news, 2) BUT it's about 10-13x more virulent, 3) the strains are evolving past last year's immunization, and 4) the recommendation is to use last year's recipe in this year's shot.

The data in the south east is reflecting this. The total number of cases is not all that high. But the hospitalizations are right at the peak levels from September of last year. Having said this, it's no where near doom & gloom. However, 2010 has got the potential to be an extremely bad year for flu. ...mainly because the flu shot is not going to be a good match with what's going around.

So if you were sick of the hype of swine flu last year, buckle your seat belt because it's likely going to be in the media again. It's definitely not over.

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just putting the info out there for those who might want to know and draw their own conclusions. I didn't write the article, just sharing it - so the snide comment by Pixelguy that it is bogus info is not called for. When H1N1 was first coming out last year, Recombinomics was a website that many turned to for info. It is just one of many. If you don't want info about H1N1, then don't read forum posts about it.

Here's the press update from the CDC talking about Georgia:

http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/2010/t100329.htm

Excerpt:

Miriam Falco: Thank you, Dr. Benjamin, Dr. Schuchat. I have a couple of questions. Number one, we haven't heard about H1N1 in a while. Is it really the Georgia and southeast states that have raised the level to bring you on the phone? And also, someone might be skeptical and say, well, normally you tell us 36,000 people died in an average flu season and we've only had 12,000 deaths. So this sounds like a pretty good year. And I’m not putting words in your mouth. I'm just curious. How would you answer that question?

Anne Schuchat: This is dr. Schuchat. Let me answer both of those questions. The situation in Georgia is the critical reason that we called the media briefing. Seeing an increase in cases again in Georgia is unusual and we did want to spotlight that. Does that mean we're going to see that in other states? I really don't know. But a couple of the southeastern states are seeing more activity right now than the rest of the country. So that's the thing that's new today that we really wanted to talk about. I also want to speak about the deaths. And I think it's very important to put in contrast what we've seen so far this year with the 2009 H1N1 pandemic virus and what we typically will see in a seasonal influenza. When we say that about 12,000 people have died from this virus, that estimate includes 90% of those people, about 11,000 are people under 65. And that's much more deaths in a particular year among younger people than what we typically see with seasonal flu. We estimate that the rate of death in young people is probably five times higher than what we would typically see with seasonal influenza. . . . . . . more at the link above
The first page of the CDC website Situation Report today says that H1N1 is on the increase in the Southeast US:

The Georgia Health Department page also says they are seeing an upswing in hospitalizations due to H1N1

http://health.state.ga.us/h1n1flu/

If you go to this page on the Georgia Health Department you can clearly see a trend that is at levels similar to last fall, which is what the original thread post from Recombinomics noted:

http://dch.georgia.gov/00/channel_title/0,2094,31446711_148304655,00.html

Nobody is saying it is the end of the world, but as I have said before, some people like to consider a variety of factors in their survival preparedness activities and appreciate having the info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it's important to stay on top of this whenever possible. And thanks for your info as well Grumble.

And Pixelguy, what ever is wrong with cutting and pasting the whole story? I don't always want to click a link to a new story, sometimes just having it there to read is a nice convenience. You really shouldn't attack a poster about what they've written when they've posted a link to a valid news source. Especially saying that it is "bogus" because the MSM isn't reporting it. Many of us on this board don't consider the MSM to be much worth reading or listening to.

·
Registered
257 Posts
1918-1919 epidemic of the "Spanish Flu" was also H1N1 type. 1918 lots of people got sick, some died (more so because of no antibiotics). 1919 those that got it in 1918 didn't get it again, but the Flu virus mutated to become more deadly.

Second year, 1919 was when most died, estimated at 50 million people worldwide. Those that contracted flu in 1918 were mostly safe, but the deaths occurred more in young healthy adults.

Death rates were about 33% of those that were infected.

Mutation thought to allow a healthy immune system to "overreact" and that was the main cause of death.

Could it happen again? Absolutely.

See wikipedia for Spanish Flu

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
I live in the Atlanta area. It is HQ for the CDC.

There has been NO mention in any MSM media about this. And there would be IF such a big story were taking place here.

Here is a link to yesterday's (March 30, 2010) CDC H1N1 flu report for the southeastern USA. There is NO mention of unusually high numbers of H1N1 hospitalizations or deaths in Atlanta, Georgia or anywhere in the region.

So the OP's story is bogus IMO. Beware.
recombinomics tends to post their source material if yo care to look

There is still a reservoir of this floating around which could re-emerge and possibly mutate or combine with another strain, of course this is not unique to H1N1 but applies to several strains of flu

Of course you can sit happy behind your keyboard

I think your post is bogus, IMHO

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
case in point Pixelguy, you got served

Just putting the info out there for those who might want to know and draw their own conclusions. I didn't write the article, just sharing it - so the snide comment by Pixelguy that it is bogus info is not called for. When H1N1 was first coming out last year, Recombinomics was a website that many turned to for info. It is just one of many. If you don't want info about H1N1, then don't read forum posts about it.

Here's the press update from the CDC talking about Georgia:

http://www.cdc.gov/media/transcripts/2010/t100329.htm

Excerpt:

The first page of the CDC website Situation Report today says that H1N1 is on the increase in the Southeast US:

The Georgia Health Department page also says they are seeing an upswing in hospitalizations due to H1N1

http://health.state.ga.us/h1n1flu/

If you go to this page on the Georgia Health Department you can clearly see a trend that is at levels similar to last fall, which is what the original thread post from Recombinomics noted:

http://dch.georgia.gov/00/channel_title/0,2094,31446711_148304655,00.html

Nobody is saying it is the end of the world, but as I have said before, some people like to consider a variety of factors in their survival preparedness activities and appreciate having the info.
PS TNpetite is the original poster for anything H1N1 on the entire forum and had the original huge H1N1 thread that got stickied,

she should have got an award but some mods whined about it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts