Survivalist Forum banner

CCW: Semi auto? Or Revolver?

221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Didnt you ever see Taxis Driver with Robert De Nero? The main character wore one of his guns mounted on a curtain rail .
It was one of those 80s movies I never got around to, though I am well aware it is a classic, cult and otherwise.

Outside of that comedy he did with Ben Stiller, all the DeNiro movies I have seen are about the mafia.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Another factor, if one considers a Clip Draw there is a considerable difference between a clip for a revolver and a semi. For that reason I am thinking a semi .380 as many of my CC thoughts involve a clip (or even two for versatility).
We all have our preferences. So if a clip is what you want, I think a .380 sized to your liking is a good choice.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Interesting, a bit heavier but the price is right. Ill take a look at it when I can do a side by side comparison.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,875 Posts
That's the one for all the fantasy crowd.
It really wouldnt surprise me if someone were actually using one. :rolleyes:

Simple, functional, well made gear, is always your best bet. If you cant vet it and make it work in practice, no point in using it. :thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've seen some good posts by both sides. Having carried autos for many years, interspersed with revolvers, after fifty years, I've given family my autos, and am gonna stick with my last revolvers. I can see the good aspects of both sides, autos and wheel guns, while at the same time, not ignoring the bad things of both.

I have always been in love with big revolvers, going for perceived knock-down ability. We all know, that it's shot placement, penetration, and maximum expansion. Likewise, outside of rifles, or shotgun slugs, hydro-static shock is a myth. Most handguns cannot compete on such a playing field. Like one tomb stone said, "Died of suicide- his handgun vs. a rifle." Range can get you killed, and that fella didn't have it.

I carry two Ruger Super GP100's. They're my CC/EDC. At three pounds each, carryin' them around is somewhat strenuous. However, not ever gonna be Bob Mundin, the late, great, Saint Ed McGivern, or the greatest of all, Jerry Miculek, I'll settle for bein' slow, steady, an' accurate. I used to be "adequate," but now I know I might take a round or two, before I can take care of business. Old age sucks, but it's been a good life...

Revolvers, especially quality S&W and Ruger 8 shot weapons, offer advantages that no autos can. Likewise, if you're gonna be in a genuine firefight, 8 rounds might not be enough to break contact. You'll just have to shoot it out... Autos can throw out lead faster, longer, with hi-cap magazines. 8 shot revolvers can, and do use, full moon clips. With practice, you can reload as fast a somebody using a 1911 Colt. Revolvers can use much more powerful, and longer ranged ammo, than most autos. Similarly, a properly set-up revolver is much more accurate for long range, than the vast majority of autos.

Make-up yer mind, as to revolver or auto. Look at the advantages and drawbacks of both. Don't let anyone giggle yer arm. Take it easy, and if possible, try out examples of what you've decided upon. Yer decision could mean life or death- yers.

Sorry, that stroke (my second) back at the end of '18, makes me sometimes truncate my words, both spoken and written...

Revolvers vs. autos... Get quality, don't go cheap. What's yer life worth? Or the life of someone else?

I researched, asked about, and made my own choice. Same with ammo. Newest and fastest ain't necessarily the best. I use Remington's RTP357M2, courtesy of those fine folks at US Armorment. The bullet design ain't the fastest- that's Buffalo Bore an' Double Tap, fer serious harvesting... Liberty works good in a crowded situation. Fer everyday, it's the Remington. If things go squirrely, what with this coronavirus, I'll look fer some Buffalo Bore... Works good on cars an' trucks... .357, .41, an' .44 magnum loads are super... Don't know about bigger calibers- never shot any o' them...

So, gettin' back to revolvers bein' my choice- I can hit what I aim at. Pack o' cigarettes at 100yds, atop a fence post? No problem. Ruger's GP100's, 5.5" and 6" are flat out amazin'. Can't screw on a suppressor, but Hell, they'll know where I am, if it comes down to it, by the flash an' report... Revolvers won't fail you, an' you have multiple choices in ammo...

Good Luck out there, fellow wheel gunners. The times ahead look dark, an' you'll need to keep yer hawglegs close ta hand... As someone smart once said, "Something evil, this way comes..."

One&Done

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
I've seen some good posts by both sides. Having carried autos for many years, interspersed with revolvers, after fifty years, I've given family my autos, and am gonna stick with my last revolvers. I can see the good aspects of both sides, autos and wheel guns, while at the same time, not ignoring the bad things of both.

I have always been in love with big revolvers, going for perceived knock-down ability. We all know, that it's shot placement, penetration, and maximum expansion. Likewise, outside of rifles, or shotgun slugs, hydro-static shock is a myth. Most handguns cannot compete on such a playing field. Like one tomb stone said, "Died of suicide- his handgun vs. a rifle." Range can get you killed, and that fella didn't have it.

I carry two Ruger Super GP100's. They're my CC/EDC. At three pounds each, carryin' them around is somewhat strenuous. However, not ever gonna be Bob Mundin, the late, great, Saint Ed McGivern, or the greatest of all, Jerry Miculek, I'll settle for bein' slow, steady, an' accurate. I used to be "adequate," but now I know I might take a round or two, before I can take care of business. Old age sucks, but it's been a good life...

Revolvers, especially quality S&W and Ruger 8 shot weapons, offer advantages that no autos can. Likewise, if you're gonna be in a genuine firefight, 8 rounds might not be enough to break contact. You'll just have to shoot it out... Autos can throw out lead faster, longer, with hi-cap magazines. 8 shot revolvers can, and do use, full moon clips. With practice, you can reload as fast a somebody using a 1911 Colt. Revolvers can use much more powerful, and longer ranged ammo, than most autos. Similarly, a properly set-up revolver is much more accurate for long range, than the vast majority of autos.

Make-up yer mind, as to revolver or auto. Look at the advantages and drawbacks of both. Don't let anyone giggle yer arm. Take it easy, and if possible, try out examples of what you've decided upon. Yer decision could mean life or death- yers.

Sorry, that stroke (my second) back at the end of '18, makes me sometimes truncate my words, both spoken and written...

Revolvers vs. autos... Get quality, don't go cheap. What's yer life worth? Or the life of someone else?

I researched, asked about, and made my own choice. Same with ammo. Newest and fastest ain't necessarily the best. I use Remington's RTP357M2, courtesy of those fine folks at US Armorment. The bullet design ain't the fastest- that's Buffalo Bore an' Double Tap, fer serious harvesting... Liberty works good in a crowded situation. Fer everyday, it's the Remington. If things go squirrely, what with this coronavirus, I'll look fer some Buffalo Bore... Works good on cars an' trucks... .357, .41, an' .44 magnum loads are super... Don't know about bigger calibers- never shot any o' them...

So, gettin' back to revolvers bein' my choice- I can hit what I aim at. Pack o' cigarettes at 100yds, atop a fence post? No problem. Ruger's GP100's, 5.5" and 6" are flat out amazin'. Can't screw on a suppressor, but Hell, they'll know where I am, if it comes down to it, by the flash an' report... Revolvers won't fail you, an' you have multiple choices in ammo...

Good Luck out there, fellow wheel gunners. The times ahead look dark, an' you'll need to keep yer hawglegs close ta hand... As someone smart once said, "Something evil, this way comes..."

One&Done
Well said.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
I do not recommend Palmetto State Armory for any gun purchase.

I walked into one of their stores in Columbia SC with cash and CWP card ready to buy. I already knew what I wanted. The longest part of selling a gun to me is filling out the form. There were fore sales people. Each talking to one to two people each. They were just bull-shucking. Fifteen minutes later they were still bull-shucking and not one even acknowledged me. I walked out.

Any company that poorly staffed cannot be trusted not retail or catalog or internet.

They cannot sell a gun cheap enough to get me to buy from them.

·
Curmudgeon
1,692 Posts
I do not recommend Palmetto State Armory for any gun purchase.

I walked into one of their stores in Columbia SC with cash and CWP card ready to buy. I already knew what I wanted. The longest part of selling a gun to me is filling out the form. There were fore sales people. Each talking to one to two people each. They were just bull-shucking. Fifteen minutes later they were still bull-shucking and not one even acknowledged me. I walked out.

Any company that poorly staffed cannot be trusted not retail or catalog or internet.

They cannot sell a gun cheap enough to get me to buy from them.
I haven't had a problem with them. I've bought whole guns, parts and ammo thru them (via the web) and all transactions went exactly as they should have. Now, granted, I don't talk to any humans.......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Semi-Automatic.

I know that shot placement is crucial. I know that there are no magic bullets. I still want more capacity because I never know what I am going to engage. When I was a Marine, we were issued 6 magazines, but I carried 7. When I was a police officer, I had to carry a wheel gun, and I carried 4 speed loaders. When I transitioned to SA, I carried a Glock 17 with four extra mags and one had a +2 plate.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Magazines loaded tend to fail over months. So many of my friends put new springs in them every year.

The 357 sits loaded forever. No jams, mag problems, stove piping, FTF, etc.

If you need all that ammo, practice more.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Magazines loaded tend to fail over months. So many of my friends put new springs in them every year.

The 357 sits loaded forever. No jams, mag problems, stove piping, FTF, etc.

If you need all that ammo, practice more.
Well said.

·
Registered
75 Posts
6 well placed rounds fall short when there are 7 or more assailants.

I’m a Marine and like sending rounds down range. Not spray and pray (Army style), just being ready for anything.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't know about other branches of service but in the Army it seemed that the good marksmen were good when they arrived. The only training required was weapons familiarization and if they were chosen for special duty, given instruction dealing with long range ballistics, windage and etc. Those that weren't good were at least taught enough to hit a torso. Some of the best marksmen I know do not practice, they just show up for the turkey shoots and take home a bird.

I like revolvers but a little flat lightweight single stack .380 can come closest to not being a burden to carry. It would be nice if one could purchase or borrow a weighted replica to practice carry before making a purchase. I want the one that I will carry rather than the one that will be left at home, as is most often the case with my .357 and 5 shot .38 spl.

221 - 240 of 271 Posts