Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gang, I'm looking to buy a CBRN mask and there are deals out there on NOS (new old stock) items. If sitting inside a box, does butyl rubber rot or degrade over time? The price is over half off of what it would cost new since the mask was made over 12 years ago.

·
Emergency Manager
3,347 Posts
Hello gang, I'm looking to buy a CBRN mask and there are deals out there on NOS (new old stock) items. If sitting inside a box, does butyl rubber rot or degrade over time? The price is over half off of what it would cost new since the mask was made over 12 years ago.
Yes, it can rot, degrade, crack, split, etc… It might be okay, it might not be.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It depends on how it was stored. If it's out in the back yard metal storage shed for a couple of years, it's dead. On the other hand, I have several masks two plus decades old that are in perfect condition. The rubber is soft and pliable, returns to it's original shape instantly if you bend it over, etc. Perfectly fine for use. The difference is that mine are stored in a climate controlled area, in the dark, in their original military packaging with the "Storage Slime Cosmolene" or equivalent sprayed on. Why unpack them if you don't need them? To play with them?

·
Emergency Manager
3,347 Posts
It depends on how it was stored. If it's out in the back yard metal storage shed for a couple of years, it's dead. On the other hand, I have several masks two plus decades old that are in perfect condition. The rubber is soft and pliable, returns to it's original shape instantly if you bend it over, etc. Perfectly fine for use. The difference is that mine are stored in a climate controlled area, in the dark, in their original military packaging with the "Storage Slime Cosmolene" or equivalent sprayed on. Why unpack them if you don't need them? To play with them?
Masks should be taken out periodically, inspected and checked for fit and seal. This can usually be done without filters.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You asked “why take them out”. And I hope there isn’t cosmolene on them because it’ll degrade the rubber.
Wow! I guess I should have been more specific! They are all stored in a climate controlled environment inside their original plastic shipping/storage/packing bags. I can see, feel and inspect the rubber thru the bag material. There is no need to unpack them. I said they were stored with the "Storage Slime Cosmolene" or equivalent smeared all over them. I don't know what it is, except that it's a preservative. That's why I added the "Equivalent". I don't take them out and play with them except for one particular one. I unpacked it and cleaned it for testing use. Interesting thing is, it's in as good a shape as the others!

I have several from different manufacturers and even have a couple that are size small for children. I even have "Baby Sized" ones! Ok ok, they're not really gas masks per se. They're more like "Gas Bags". They're very heavy duty plastic and are about the size of a large garbage bag. The top has a double fold over so it's sealed. The bottom has a special air filter and a valve that's built in. The bag has handles all over it. The idea is to put the baby (or pet) inside the bag and seal it. Then grab the handles and pump it to make air flow in and out thru the filter. Yeah, they're soft and pliable too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts