Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
wide awake
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting my husband a CB or ham radio for Christmas, and would appreciate input on which would be the better investment.

·
Registered
871 Posts
go cb more people have one chance are in a shtf senerio it will be usefull then ham just my 2 cents, granted you will not get the range of ham but cb's are far less compicated.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
He's right. It depends on what you want to do. But more than likely at first, you'll just be interested in talking to people close by, so a CB will work. If you have the coin and they still make them. Buy a SSB (Single Side Band) CB. Truckers went to those when all of regular drivers got on during the CB craze in the 70's. They will transmit a bit farther and clearer, provided someone you want to talk to has one. Get a good base and antenna and a good mobile or two. They aren't near as expensive as they used to be.

As for HAM, that is a full time hobby for a lot of people. Depending on their set up and license (you have to get a license from the FCC) you can talk all over the US or the world. Might be nice to have one of those radio's that can tune in HAM radio's more common bands, but not transmit. They don't need a license.

But most of your real needs will be talking to friends locally and sharing news of what is going on in your area. Its great for bad weather, disasters and "other" unwelcome occurances. If we have sun spots or some kind of huge volcanic eruption, that will knock out everything except ground line transmission.

I hope this helps.

Hi Poopus

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,070 Posts
I'm thinking a good general purpose reciever, like a scanner, might be fun if you want to buy two toys!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Buy a SSB (Single Side Band) CB. Truckers went to those when all of regular drivers got on during the CB craze in the 70's. They will transmit a bit farther and clearer,
How far would one of these transmit?

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
You have to get licensed to have a ham radio. There's a lot that goes along with it. It's not an off the shelf purchase like a CB. However, once you get the proper ham equipment you can monitor and transmit, although many instances would be doing so unlawfully, on just about every frequency range.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
with no license, cb is the way to go. I am a licensed ham operator, and looking to upgrade my license. Ham allows more ways to talk, but is a lot more complicated, and requires plenty of learning/studying/knowledge. I love ham, and don't use cb, but that's because I got into ham, and got a license. If he wants to get on the air, a cb is the easiest way to go.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
what i would get his is a ranger 2950 10 meter ham radio just for the fact that u can mod it so u can use it as a CB also ...i had one years back and miss the hell out of it ....they run about 275$...add 80 or so for the mod ....
great radio....+ it has SSB ( single side band) witch increases your range...
now in order to use the ham channels he needs to get a ham radio licence
not hard to get and well worth it

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you go HAM, your husband will need a license. However, I got my technican ticket after studying about 2 weeks, taking tests online, plus a two day class, and the instructors of local classes will do all they can to help you pass [and I'm a grrl]. HAM radio is more complicated than CB, but the HAM community is always eager to help new HAMs. Besides, HAMs are welcome in CERT and RACES, and not only do you get a lot of training for emergencies, you have an extra ear to the ground for what's happening by being in those groups.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This site is great, these are just the sort've conversations I need.

Is there a "Ham for Dummies" or a learning guide for Ham you would recommend for complete beginners? Why is it so licensed? Would you have less steps to take if you just wanted to listen rather than transmit? If TSHTF (I'm new I hope that's right) I would assume I can stop worrying about licensing and transmit if I have to.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Don't look to communicate long distance with CB. I believe their is a law prohibiting contacts over a certain distance. Also, CB isn't for the most part global, full of people, easy to jam and only one wavelength. I'd get a license and go Ham. I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
This site is great, these are just the sort've conversations I need.

Is there a "Ham for Dummies" or a learning guide for Ham you would recommend for complete beginners? Why is it so licensed? Would you have less steps to take if you just wanted to listen rather than transmit? If TSHTF (I'm new I hope that's right) I would assume I can stop worrying about licensing and transmit if I have to.
Check out the ARRL's website:

http://www.arrl.org/

They have a good book to get started:

http://www.arrl.org/hrlm/

ARRL is like the NRA of guns or the Red Cross of helping. The FCC's test is easy, 35 questions and very passable. I got 35/35 on mine first time and missed two on the General for passing score (you pass or don't). Extra is pretty tough, but not impossible, but Tech is good to get started with. It's all some people need. But I would suggest at least getting General in the long term. The licenses in order are:

Tech
General
Extra

And yes their is a 'for dummies' book. :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, that depends.....

It depends a lot on what he is going to use it for and where. If you are going the hobby route, I would go ham. It is a lot more involved and fun. If you are going to go CB, I have a couple of pointers:
1.The antenna matters more than the radio. All cb radios (properly peaked and tuned and not amplified) put out the same power and modulation. The taller you can go with the antenna the better.
2. SSB radios can send and receive to and from regular radios.
Check this site out. They have quite a bit of info. http://www.wearecb.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts