Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
He's right.

And he's only right because he appears to be speaking of the extreme anarcho-Libertarians.

Not your average Libertatrian that realizes you need roads, infrastructure and other things that would take a million years worth of wages and a million years worth of labor for one person to do.

He's probably trying to lump all libertarians together as the most extreme sect so **** him anyways.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
He's right.

And he's only right because he appears to be speaking of the extreme anarcho-Libertarians.

Not your average Libertatrian that realizes you need roads, infrastructure and other things that would take a million years worth of wages and a million years worth of labor for one person to do.

He's probably trying to lump all libertarians together as the most extreme sect so **** him anyways.
Where we are going we won't need roads!

·
Grevcon 8
16,793 Posts
He's right.

As one of those anarcho-libertarians I'm fine with group projects like roads and bridges. Just, if you don't want to contribute to the project you're free to opt out and just not use it.

And if your church group wants to get together as voluntary members of a group and build a community playground with voluntarily donated money I'm cool with that too.

·
Grevcon 8
16,793 Posts
A lot of rich people have falsely claimed libertarianism as an excuse for policies favorable to them. Usually you can weed them out pretty easily by offering them a government grant or other preferential treatment for their business, or by proposing regulation that will harm their competition and give them an advantage.

If all else fails ask them if it's the government's responsibility to stop poor people from taking their wealth or to keep their employees from walking out.

Some selfish people are libertarian. Not all libertarians are selfish.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
I find it entertaining that the bobblehead commenters nod along with the article. What they fail to notice is that they are already completely in the system that they say libertarianism is moving "towards". It would be funny if it weren't so sad with the complete lack of critical thinking skills.

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
Their entire premise is based around the idea that Libertarian men would like to think they'd "rise to the top", which I don't think is true. I don't want to be in power or some hyper wealth businessman, I just want to be free to do my own thing as I see fit.

The idea of self-reliance for me is more about meeting my own basic needs, food, water, shelter, and maybe power without being dependent on others for it, and this ideal is totally attainable for the common man. Nothing fantasy about any of that.

·
Master Rationalizer
1,716 Posts
The average IQ is 100. That means 50% of people are dumber than that.;)
Wow, has scoring changed or are people really becoming that dumb collectively enough to lower the average?? Once upon a time, my 162 was consider "advanced". By that average, I should have a few important buildings named after me or something (and no, my name is not Jon. Though that is a very important place IMO)...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm registered for voting as independent. Which means in my state I don't get to participate in the primaries.

I'm pretty libertarian at my core though. A couple things jelled that for me - one was a comedy routine about grapes and grapefruit. Keep your **** off my ****. I extended that to - and then I won't have to kill you.

The other was a quote from one of my Heros - Thomas Jefferson: if a man niether breaks my leg nor picks my pocket - what care have I?

Of course the corallary to that is if you are stupid enough to put your hand in my pocket I will cut it off at the wrist. And if you try to break my leg - I will kill you.

Until you cross my lines - I'm pretty much live & let live. Cross those lines and that puts you in the threat column. That is ones & zeros. Switch off or switch on.

There are still some places I allow grey areas. But not that many. Social situations for instance. I can disagree with someone and still hear them out. I may come out of that conversation with an expiration time on their forehead - but I'll listen. Till they tip the dumb ass meter into the red. Then they go in that other column.

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
Wow, has scoring changed or are people really becoming that dumb collectively enough to lower the average?? Once upon a time, my 162 was consider "advanced". By that average, I should have a few important buildings named after me or something (and no, my name is not Jon. Though that is a very important place IMO)...
IQ tests are designed and annually adjusted specifically so that the average score is always 100.

·
Master Rationalizer
1,716 Posts
IQ tests are designed and annually adjusted specifically so that the average score is always 100.
I knew there were reasons I never put much faith in it. The way our educational system is heading, scores of 100 will mean the average person manages to get there shoes on the right feet at least 50% of the time (unless their safe space is threatened by harsh words -- then it's a free pass regardless of where their shoes are). I'm not really seeing how grading on a curve is an accurate representation of individual intelligence. But it does coincide with dumbing down the system to help the slow ones feel smarter.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I understand that was tongue in cheek humor.

But you should also explain that IQ (Intelligence Quotient) measurements are also age related. At 18 I was probably close to 170 - now at an older age I'd be happy with 125. Damn memory. Must have been Mary Janes fault. Lol.

On the other hand - I've never seen a test for common sense. Except for life.

She don't play favorites. And some folks get lucky - no doubt. Some don't. And I shrug - sometimes life is good sometimes it sucks.

And IQ might help in avoiding the suck parts - but I've observed both really intelligent and really dumb people both succeed and fail.

Being "smart" probably helps. But being able to make horseshoes ain't a bad thing either.

Just saying

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
I knew there were reasons I never put much faith in it. The way our educational system is heading, scores of 100 will mean the average person manages to get there shoes on the right feet at least 50% of the time (unless their safe space is threatened by harsh words -- then it's a free pass regardless of where their shoes are). I'm not really seeing how grading on a curve is an accurate representation of individual intelligence. But it does coincide with dumbing down the system to help the slow ones feel smarter.
By all accounts the average IQ in the US has actually been steadily going up by about 3 points per decade. Granted, IQ tests can only accurately measure academic knowledge so things like good intuition may indeed be going down or people are just getting better at taking tests without being able to actually apply that knowledge to anything practical, but it should still give you some hope for the future.

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts
They clearly had rode the short bus to school and were brainwashed at an early age.

Throw katrina in their faces and say, there is a good example of the govt helping Americans. Gun confiscation, thousands pooping in piles in the football stadium, no food delivered for days, police prevented people from leaving the city, what was FEMA doing again while the people waited for help?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.