Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I'm storing pellets (stove) and gas (generator) in case of a power shortage, but I've also been looking into a small catalytic heater in case we have to huddel in the bedroom. Just wondering what people here at SB have discovered about these heaters: safety, BTU output, reliability etc. This site says they are pretty free of CO, so maybe i can use them inside... ?

http://www.catcousa.com/pdfs/oil&gas.pdf

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
The only experience I've had with a 'cat heater was back in the 60's, just prior to joining the Army. A friend of mine that I camped, fished, hunted with had a Coleman heater. (Ok, it was his dad's). We used it in a tent , with minimal venting and I'm still here. Go with the manufacturer's instructions. I've used a Kerosun heater indoors, with some ventilation, and.. I'm still here. Proper usage is required.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
We use one for winter camping. We had a 10x12 shack with tarp walls. My Big Buddy heater kept it at 40 degrees, and it was 15 degrees outside.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Buddys are infrared, not catalytic, and therefore emit more carbon monoxide. Guess I could mount a CO detector nearby. It has a fan, right? If so, I'd have to keep fresh batteries in it. How much light does it emit from those ceramic plates? Most of the catalytics are pretty dark, which is good for me if I'm trying to sleep. Thanks for the headsup on the Big Buddy. Sounds like it can really put out the heat...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse sells the Big Buddy refurb units for $98 and they come with a new 1 year warranty. Try it when you get home though ~ my first one had a bad thermocouple and the pilot wouldn't stay lit. Now I just need to find a safe & secure way to keep a 20lb propane tank, while I live in an apartment...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have one

I have a Coleman Catalytic heater from the 70's that I bought over Ebay. It still works like a charm. This particular model takes 'white gas' which burns clean and efficiently. The only downside to it is that you have to light it outside first. The flame on this sucker is huge when you first light it. Then it dies out and just pumps the heat. They come in different BTU ranges. Mine is at 5000 BTU's and it works like a champ. Just remember that ANY catalytic combustion heater needs proper ventilation. I have only used it in my Garage when the door was cranked so far. If you are using these things inside you should seriously ask yourself the question whether or not you really need it for survival or comfort!!! I remember there is such a thing as oxygen depletion vs CO poisoning with these puppies so just be careful!!! I guess if you open the window if you are in the room it should be OK. Has anybody used one inside?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, had a Coleman in the 70s myself when I was racing desert. Had to take it outside first, as you said. BIG flame! Then take it back inside the camper. We always cracked the window on the cab-over where me and my wife slept. The kids are still alive, too!

I've seen lots of feedback on the Big Buddy from people who use them in RVs, boats, campers, tents and even small deer blinds and most of them say it has never tripped the CO detector or the Oxy depletion sensor, so maybe it's a good choice.

My use for a small space heater is when SHTF and I've depleted my wood pellets and gas for the generator and have to huddle in the bedroom on those long, cold winter nights. It goes way below freezing almost every night in the winter months here where I live, and even in a sleeping bag, it could be difficult to get a good night's sleep w/o some auxilliary heat.

Any body know of an efficient wood stove I could set on top of the pellet stove and hook into my 4-inch vent system? I've seen several 55-gal drum wood stoves, but my vent system is 4 inches, and I don't think that is large enough for a 55-gal drum type wood stove?

Geez, all this would be so much simpler if those politicians weren't so bent on, well, ending my rant here... :taped:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i have a mr buddy and a big buddy heater i use in the house and the rv for heat when needed there made to be used in rvs they have a low oxg sensor and shut off when oxy gets low,i also run a CO sensor with a read out and its never has went above 0 while being used inside i feel there one of the safest units to have,the big buddy puts out a lont of heat if you put it on high,you can get a adaper hose and use bulk propane tanks with them or just the small 1 lb bottles,after xmas lowes usualy has them on sale at 50% off for heaters and propane stuff,well worth what you pay for them if you need emergancy heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts