Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a thread a while back asking this but it turned in to a BOB thread. Thats not what i'm asking, i'd like to know how you plan to carry your weapons, ie. knives, guns, adn ammo for them.

I'm not talking about your gear that you have in your BOB but rather what weapons you have and how you carry them.

example;

papoose .22lr broken doun and in pack.
XD .40 in hip holster. back up xd .40 sub compact on small of back
scoped remington 7600 in bag attached to side of BOB.
remington 870 police slung on sholder
SkS in hands w/ 3pt sling

pictures would be nice.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
First of all, never carry a fire arm in the small of your back. There are a few officers who found that out the hard way. If you fall or get pushed down the firearm is at your spine, which is bad juju.

Next if TSHF, the last thing you want is for your firearms to be in your hand while your B.O.. Your handgun in concealed carry is a quick way to have a firearm at hand when needed. For quick access of a long arm consider a bag of some sort. A skate board bag fits an underfold AK with a 30 round mag nicely, and it doesn't scream firearm.

The thought I use is to be plain joe. Dont give anyone the idea that I'm armed. In other words, low profile. Dont draw the attention that a firearm will draw.

Next trying to carry two long any distance is a bear of a task. You are talking of carrying three long guns is completely unrealistic over any real distance. A handgun carried, one it the pack, one longgun, one breakdown would be fine. but with three long guns your going to have a hard time.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Like just in general?
I carry openly in holsters or sling when in areas that doesn't get a SWAT team called.
In the car I carry a handgun in a locked case cabled to a seat bracket in the back out if sight.
Traveling I keep a carbine in either a backpack(Kel Tec SU 16) or in a rolling hard side suitcase.
I may put a double barrel shotty and shells in my car for if things get warm suddenly and digging the pistol and ammo out is too slow.
The shotty breaks down too and can be carried in a small backpack.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have the luxury of having a bol that is mine, its just family so i cant store my stuf there, i hve to carry it. I was thinking more of shtf situation and your relocating.

I have gear on the small of my back everyday for work and have fell on it, it just depinds on how you land. Obviously i dont want it all visible but if the trade off is not being able to get to it and getting killed...than i'll take criticism from police. obviously, if weapons have been confiscated all will be consealed nd/or borken down.

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
You might rent a storage building in the direction you will be headed. (close to your destination) This way you can carry your heat so that you get there safely, and then you can have your bug out supplies in a storage building. (food, tent, gear, food, water, food, bulk ammo, food, water, candles, and food)

Just a thought, hope it helps you out.

Pointblank

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might rent a storage building in the direction you will be headed. (close to your destination) This way you can carry your heat so that you get there safely, and then you can have your bug out supplies in a storage building. (food, tent, gear, food, water, food, bulk ammo, food, water, candles, and food)

Just a thought, hope it helps you out.

Pointblank

lol, dont have the money for that.

i was thinking a serious shtf sitation, serious enough for any of your planned bol's to be comprimised. Were you need your guns to be close at hand and have to carry them and there ammo.

·
Squawker
145 Posts
"I have gear on the small of my back everyday for work and have fell on it, it just depinds on how you land. "

Falling on a handgun that is in the small of your back is a different matter. Doc Young is absolutely right. There have been a lot of injuries with this mode of carry. And they're not just muscular. If you're in the process of bugging out, a neurological injury would be the last thing that you would need. Just get an inside the waistband holster, and carry at the 4 o'clock position under a shirt that's not tucked in. You can reach it faster, and you don't risk injury.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I have gear on the small of my back everyday for work and have fell on it, it just depinds on how you land. "

Falling on a handgun that is in the small of your back is a different matter. Doc Young is absolutely right. There have been a lot of injuries with this mode of carry. And they're not just muscular. If you're in the process of bugging out, a neurological injury would be the last thing that you would need. Just get an inside the waistband holster, and carry at the 4 o'clock position under a shirt that's not tucked in. You can reach it faster, and you don't risk injury.
Yeah i know...it was just an example. I dont carry there for that reason but liek i said, i'm used to having my flashlight, cuffs, and med pouch w/emt shears right there. I went through 20 hrs of training on how to fall...kindof stupid but when you consider %90 of job related injuries were due to a fall its obvious why they gave it to us. The training has saved me many many time just in the last few months. Not to say that i would still purposly put myself in a situation like that but theres not many places for CCW with a large alice pack on.

·
CaptAmerica
89 Posts
I would think that a Laptop bag is a good place to carry. Common, and full of compartments. With a shoulder strap.
CA

Having the world's best idea will do you no good unless you act on it. People who want milk shouldn't sit on a stool in the middle of a field in hopes that a cow will back up to them. Curtis Grant

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm not looking for bag ideas but rather specifice ways that you will carry your weapons. most people will have multiples.

i myself will have 6 or 7 that i'd have to carry.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
First of all, never carry a fire arm in the small of your back. There are a few officers who found that out the hard way. If you fall or get pushed down the firearm is at your spine, which is bad juju.

Next if TSHF, the last thing you want is for your firearms to be in your hand while your B.O.. Your handgun in concealed carry is a quick way to have a firearm at hand when needed. For quick access of a long arm consider a bag of some sort. A skate board bag fits an underfold AK with a 30 round mag nicely, and it doesn't scream firearm.

The thought I use is to be plain joe. Dont give anyone the idea that I'm armed. In other words, low profile. Dont draw the attention that a firearm will draw.

Next trying to carry two long any distance is a bear of a task. You are talking of carrying three long guns is completely unrealistic over any real distance. A handgun carried, one it the pack, one longgun, one breakdown would be fine. but with three long guns your going to have a hard time.
I agree wholeheartedly with your small of the back carry. It was one carry position they warned us about in my chl class. as for the open carry i have to disagree i think its going to be completely situational. in the city no i wouldnt open carry unless tshtf long ago and the city has for the most part emptied out. as for the country id say it would a calculated risk you would probably want to take. I can almost guarantee that there are going to be land roving "pirates" traveling the backroads looking for easy pickings.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
i'm not looking for bag ideas but rather specifice ways that you will carry your weapons. most people will have multiples.

i myself will have 6 or 7 that i'd have to carry.
That's a lot of stuff to be carrying, but I understand your situation. My only issue is that carrying that much is just to cumbersome to be effective or be able to react quickly, run or even go prone; and what happens if you slip through the ice or slide off a bank into a lake or small river? I would really recommend locating a few (SKS and shotgun?) at your destination. Just in case stuff does get confiscated, you have a back up down the road.

My plan (if I had to hoof) would be to keep my M6 Scout (.22/.410) and my AR in my pack/broken down. Sidearm would be CCW or somewhat concealed but with quick access. If the situation deteriorates to the point that hostile threats are prevalent, than the AR comes out and is carried and my M6 Scout will be used to hunt small game when I get a chance to settle down.

If you must carry an extra long rifle or shotgun, Kifaru makes a great device where you can carry your primary long arm at the ready, yet still have both hands free and the other side of your pack could have another long rifle/shotgun strapped down. That's a lot of steel to be carrying, but Kifaru makes it feasible and comfortable than most.

ROCK6

·
Registered
626 Posts
I might stick my side fold AK in a shoulder bag or something but other than my side arm I won't be carrying my whole arsenal...

Think about it, you already have a 40 lb pack, side arm with magazines, and plenty of lbs of whatever else. Do you really want MORE to carry? Try hiking with 60 lbs in your pack and see how far you get with it.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
Rifle on a sling over my shoulder.
Pistol in a holster on my hip.
Ammo for rifle in a bandoleer on my other shoulder.
Ammo for pistol in spare clips attached to belt.

Spare ammo in cans with other supplies.

This would be how I would do it if my home had been overrun, my BOL had been destroyed or compromised, and it was total chaos as I was forced to be on the move constantly.

Under normal SHTF scenarios I would not BO, and would have all my weapons loaded and in various locations around my house.... like I have right now.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I might stick my side fold AK in a shoulder bag or something but other than my side arm I won't be carrying my whole arsenal...

Think about it, you already have a 40 lb pack, side arm with magazines, and plenty of lbs of whatever else. Do you really want MORE to carry? Try hiking with 60 lbs in your pack and see how far you get with it.
heres an idea for you guys that have AKs

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS025-1.html

its a resin folding stock. less than 50 bucks. good for giving you a smaller profile. I might even get one.

here is a no doubt pricey alternative by Point Blank Armor systems. it looks like a duffle bag with a tear away 3A ballistic vest that conceals a rifle

http://www.pointblankarmor.com/large/RDAB-big.asp

Reactions: Grub

·
Banned
317 Posts
No back pack, a guitar case would do just fine.........don't forget to wear glasses to look nerdy and defenseless.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

its a resin folding stock. less than 50 bucks. good for giving you a smaller profile. I might even get one.

here is a no doubt pricey alternative by Point Blank Armor systems. it looks like a duffle bag with a tear away 3A ballistic vest that conceals a rifle

I dont plan on ever having to do this but it is somthing i think about.

If my BOL's are comprimised...with is very possble, then i want the cappibility to move with all my equiptment. I'm not going to leave any of my weapons or gear simply because its too heavy, if i have to move slow than so be it. The only time i'd abandon gear is if i'm in a fight.

with the shotgun, ammo carry is very limited as it is so i'm not too woried about weight. it would be on my pack also, its a firly light gun aswell. i think max i'd have is 50 rounds for it. for the SKS, it would be a main gun so it would be in my hands and have a 3 pt. sling. the .22 is packed away. pistols are holstered and high powered rifle is on the pack.

yeah sure it will add to my weight but as light as i have my gear now i can afford to go a little heavier. In shtf protection is very important, expecialy when you have the whole population looking for new gear to take. Nearly everything in my pack is or is going to be reausable and redundant. I'm not just carring water...i have 2 filters with rebuild kits and spair filters. I'm not just carring the minimum in hunting gear, i have enough for me to confidently get by and get food. If i have to i can survive for a very long time with no outside help.

I also dont play around with having two or three different packs for different seasons. Here in KS teh weather changes...and it changes quick. All my stuff is for the worst case scenario.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Already have that exact folding stock and I love it. :thumb:

Very solid feeling, collapses and locks easily, I highly recommend it. Plus it makes the rifle look cool. :cool:

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
No back pack, a guitar case would do just fine.........don't forget to wear glasses to look nerdy and defenseless.
Be sure to beef up that guitar case a might or your firearm(s) might wind up in the street...

Allan

1 - 20 of 75 Posts