Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having and carrying cordage or rope is a must in a survival situation. I just never really developed the skill on how to wind cordage and carry it without tangling it in my bag. This is a primitive skill that I lacked. I really wanted to make sure that when packing either my BOB or just camping that I didn't spend excess energy fighting a tangled mess or rope/cordage.

I had my buddy, Survivor Johnny do a quick video demonstration on how to wind and carry rope. He uses 550 cord as a demonstration but I learned a lot in a short period of time. I hope this simple quick video helps others like me.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Good info in case anyone is having similar problems. I've used a variation on that for years for carrying 100 foot lengths. I wind it using my hand to grip it, running it around the elbow of the same arm a number of times and then fold it over, leaving about 3 feet of cord to wind around the folded coil. Winding the remaining 3 feet neatly and tightly and applying an overhand knot around the coil as a last step keeps it all in place until needed. Another method that takes a little longer is to use a daisy-chain braid like with utility ropes and long electrical extension cords. This works well with 550 and larger cords and utility rope.

www.threesixtyosi.com

·
Too young 2 feel this old
257 Posts
For fast easy access you can daisy chain the 550 cord, push it into a .5L water bottle with the loose end toward the opening, punch a small hole in the lid, feed the tag end through and tie a quick overhand knot, and screw the lid on. As long as the hole you punch isn't too big it acts as a friction fit so the cord won't slide out and all you have to do is pull in the free end when needed. you can easily keep 50' in the bottle.

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,683 Posts
For rope I coil it then near one end push a loop through the coil, over the top and cinch it in place.
For para cord the most compact form I have found is to coil it,and wind one end around it, over its length, to compress it into a cylinder then do the loop through and cinch one one end.

Secure to gear with Velcro or ranger (bike inner tube) bands.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
For rope I coil it then near one end push a loop through the coil, over the top and cinch it in place.
For para cord the most compact form I have found is to coil it,and wind one end around it, over its length, to compress it into a cylinder then do the loop through and cinch one one end.

Enjoy!
TOO EASY DRILL SERGEANT!
(that's exactly what I do)

·
Winter is coming.
2,898 Posts

Enjoy!
Yep me too.

Heres the animated version...

http://www.animatedknots.com/coilin...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I also carry most of my cordage in pre-cut lengths. I colour code them with different colours of paracord so i grab a black coil and thats 3' or grab a coyote coil and i know thats 5' or grab an OD coil and thats 10'. Takes up a little more space, but means i'm not working with a pile of spaghetti and having to cut and seal everytime i wanna tie something down. Its much quicker and tidier to do small jobs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.