Survivalist Forum banner

How do you plan on carrying rifle mags?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Herp Derp
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(in a hypothetical SHTF scenario)

In the event that you're carrying your rifle openly and intend to use it or are at risk of having to use it, how do you plan on carrying extra magazines, if at all? Why?

Obviously the answer could differentiate between situations. Therefore, let's suppose you're simply planning on walking from one location to another, in a potentially hostile environment, with your rifle (only a few miles at most).

(public poll, multiple choices allowed)

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,529 Posts
For the AR, ETLBV, the LC2 alice replacement.

Since the commie gun is perfect and is endowed with magazines that never run dry I have no plans to carry extra ones for it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I wouldn't make the trip on my own. Not if things had gotten that bad that we are talking about openly carrying a rifle. Nothing draws attention to yourself faster than that (well, aside from a cart of a much-needed supply, but that's about it).

I do have a chest rig, and I would use it for keeping extra magazines handy while bugging in, right next to the rifle.

·
Tin Can Sailor
3,242 Posts
Instead of listing both chest rig and tac vest as options, it may have been a good idea to add LBE (aka, the old alice gear).

That's the way I'd go, mostly as I already have multiple sets. Dont's see any reason to spend more money on a vest that does basically the same thing.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I did not vote as it will depend entirely on what I am wearing, what impression I am intending to give, the level of potential threat, the likelihood of that threat, the level to which SHTF (WROL or not), how early in the event we are, what the weather conditions are, etc etc.

Heck, whether or not I am carrying a rifle, carbine, shotty, of what have you will also be affected by those conditions.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
As you said: It varies.

Right now in the car I have a Shoulder bag, and a SOE micro rig.

Got a Eagle CIRIS (Soft and hard armor) I keep handy, but not in the car.
Got a Diamondback tactical padded war belt and suspenders for strolling around.

Several other plate carriers and options.

·
Fenced In
3,339 Posts
Since the OP implies that the need for spare mags is expected or at least considered, I'd probably have my "tactical" sling bag, with two dual-mag pouches for a total of four. While I am unlike many folks in that I don't keep most of my rifle mags loaded, I do have four loaded in this bag. Since I have no other use for a vest or belt mag carriers, this is the fastest way to go if I need to grab mags on the fly.

·
Herp Derp
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like a pretty even race between chest rigs, backpacks, and belt pouches.

I'm actually surprised about the lack of drop leg rig users.

·
off the griddle
428 Posts
The good ole war belt is how we trained when I was in the Corps. It's simple. I like simple. Simple is best.
I used to be the same, but humping a pack with the belt/harness was a PIA, especially with canteens on the belt too. I've since gone to hanging just my pistol holster with one spare mag and my fighting knife off my belt, a chest rig for 4-6 AK mags, extra pistol mags and odds-n-ends, a FILBE hydration pack for water and some basic essentials including my poncho and IFAK. The FILBE can hang off my BOB if I need to be humping that as well.

Of course you can never have too many mags or ammo, so I usually have even more stuffed in my BOB, pants pockets or anywhere else I can stick them. ;)

·
Herp Derp
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drop leg is for pistol (holster can handle a spare mag), knife and perhaps IFAK.
I'm not a fan of them either, but considering there's a large market for leg rig mag carriers I would expect more users here.

I can see the appeal. Not for me though.

·
Grevcon 10
13,772 Posts
I have a 3 mag MOLLE pouch on the back of my wilderness bag and lots of cargo pocket space. If I know I'm going in to a fight that MOLLE pouch is moving to the front of a plate carrier though.

The wife carries 180 rounds in SKS clips in a PASGT vest.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,529 Posts
Drop leg/thigh carriers may work for some. For me they are always shifting around and snagging on everything. If, as in the pic above, you wear BDU type pants the side cargo pockets are not useable.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Seems like a pretty even race between chest rigs, backpacks, and belt pouches.

I'm actually surprised about the lack of drop leg rig users.
Strap it on... Then go run 2 miles.

Get back with me.:D:

I've got a blank one I brought to Iraq. Spent the whole deployment in my war bag.

Got a shotgun shell leg holder I traded into... Keep it next to the 870 by the door... Not walking any distance with it though...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you carrying your backpack as you are bugging out? If so, what type of backpack, as most shoulder straps and waistbelts will interfer with a chest rig and or battlebelt.

In some of my bags I have different setups:
1. GHB: Large Alice rucksack and frame: I have an LBE Alice belt set up that I can put on if needed. it is stowed on top of the ruck and I can carry the ruck using the LBE belt as a rest fo the ruck (not using ruck waist belt at all). I also have my AR broken down so it stows easier in rucksack with barrel covered with tent pole case (got a trekker pole in case on opposite side). HPG Recon chest rig for carrying pistol, extra mags, and items.

2. BOB: Tactical Tailor Malice Pack (Molle II is in rotation right, trying to decide which one I like better): carry a battle belt in it with a UWGear bandoleer right on top for quick access. I have added two or three AR mag pouches to another HPG Recon chest pack. The recon works great for carrying pistol, pistol mags, rifle mags, etc and does not interfer or get in the way of the pack straps.

3. For patroling or moving about at BOL, chest rigs or plate carriers with small assault pack on back AND battle belt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts