Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

Night Sights or not for SD carry

• Always use nights sights

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Never use night sights

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Really doesn't matter

Votes: 9 25.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am just curious to know what everyone thinks about carrying a SD gun with or without night sights. I carry some with night sights and some with out it really doesn't seem to matter much to me. So what's your thoughts? If you can see your target in a self defense situation it will be in close around 10 to 25 ft you can most likely point and shoot. Any further than that you shouldn't be shooting the BG. When you take the affects of stress etc. you won't think about your sights much.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
if you have a gun with night sights, there's a plus.. if not, it's still better than no gun at all..

Just for the record, for those of you who DON'T have night sights, there is a product called "nitesiters" that sell for about $10.00, that consist of glow in the dark dots to add to your sights as opposed to spending the $100 or so dollars Tritium sights go for.

The downside is that these dots require recharging like your standard glow in the dark material typically does by exposing them to a light source. But they DO last quite a long time and if you charge them before you leave the house, they stay charged enough to be visible in the dark for hours.. The glue used is also VERY durable and strong and once applied, these stick to your gun well and look just like standard white dot sights that come on most firearms..

http://www.nitesiters.com

And no, I don't work for this company or have anything to do with this product other than having purchased them myself and find them a good alternate to the more expensive sights and gunsmithing costs to have them installed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im not CCW yet, but I can see just fine with my regular sights. My 1911 has two white dots in the back (one in the front). Not too bad with street lights giving enough light.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Nightsites on my CCW

Nightsites on my BUG

Surefire 6P on my belt.

Rifle has a Streamlght

Shotgun has a TRL-1

(Have a few spairs floating around too!)

·
Semper Gumby
158 Posts
Been in a shooting at night and don't recall seeing the sights. This in addition to the fact that after the first round you will not be able to see them anyway make them of no great importance to me.
I agree, also properly trained you you don't use the sights at all with a pistol
Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello
So far I see my poll says about 46% say very important for night sights and between never use and not so important is almost 54%. I have night sights on most of my carry guns but I am beginning to think I should have spent my money on more ammo instead, the reason I'm saying this is I went shooting in the dark again and found it to very true that after the first shot you do have difficulty seeing the sights much less your target. and I also used a hand held flash light and I could not only zero in on the target and pull the trigger faster I could see for follow up shots. I've done this couple of times and when there are street lights in parking lots etc. there is no problem seeing sights or target. Keep sending your opinions! But if I'm going to go where it is pitch black I will carry one with night sights/Flashlight maybe. Now I know I won't be able to see the (BG)/ target but than he won't see me either. And if your target is in a self defense range of 20 to 30 feet the point and shoot will most likely find the target. I hope I can get some disagreement and some agreeing replies. This subject has always interested me. When ever you see cops/special forces etc. entering building or what ever it seems like the light or laser is always used. :)

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I agree, also properly trained you you don't use the sights at all with a pistol
Rich
^ Back up this statement please.

OP: My recomendation is that you do your own research and not base what you do off of 'what some unknown people say in the internet' (Including me)

As to 'just the first shot' being able to use the night sites...
1. If you do it with the first shot...
2. Take the time (Not throwing stones at the guy who lived through a fight w/o doing it) to see them for your second shot...

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
If it is pitch dark, that ambiant light is going to make your vision worse.
I've been halfway around the world and back, and the onlu places I've encoutnered Pitch dark was ether in a house I was clearing (See tac light reference)
and when everyone turned off their lights when I was touring Mamoth cave.

Other than that there WILL BE ambiant light.

-Heck, otherwise you won't know you HAVE a target!

ETA: I kinda thing Muzzleflash will blow your night vision....

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
At night my S&W M&P 9 grows an Insight Technology M6X laser/light combo. The M6X mounts on the AK Ultimak forearm if need be instead, depending on where I'm off to. Sure Fire 6Z in the side pocket, and Streamlight green led "Key Mate" light on its lanyard attached to the ring in the upper vest pocket. Full size duty style rechargable flashlight mounted in the car, better to be used as a head knocker than anything else.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Huh, I don't understand
You said if you have time to use the sites.

If you are not so close that you are having to do a contact or near contact shot (For which I have also trained) you should be training to use the sites...

By repatition... you'll do so.

·
Banned
486 Posts
I have night sights on all my guns. I think there great if you know how to use them right. Alot of people buy them because they think they look cool on there gun or so they can say they have night sites. But if you do know how to use them right they can come in handy.

·
11B3P
754 Posts
I have night sights on a few of my defense guns since it was required by work but I find that I do not need them and do not spend the money to put them on my others.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts