Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of the major things you want to look out for in your baby chicks. It is only really a problem for the first few weeks. Don't freak out it is easy to deal with, just let your wife do it! If left untreated this can kill the chick.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Warm rag will clean that up. If it happens once, it will most likely happen again. I usually separate them for a day to make sure they don' get blocked... :)

·
Rational Being
1,976 Posts
Yep. I usually use a warm, damp rag. Hold it against the blockage for a few moments to let it soften up, brush away as much as you can, hold it, brush, hold it, brush... until it's clean. A tiny bit of Vaseline helps future cleanings, too. If it happens once, it'll probably happen again.

I call it pasty butt. Haven't ever lost a chick to it, but I'm sure it could happen if I didn't do something about it.

I like how you say "just let your wife do it!" Haha! Yep. My husband and our boys wouldn't touch the chicks with pasty butts. Goofballs.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Thank you for the video.

Running warm water over the poop will loosen it right up.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This is one of the major things you want to look out for in your baby chicks. It is only really a problem for the first few weeks. Don't freak out it is easy to deal with, just let your wife do it! If left untreated this can kill the chick.
x2 for this post. As somebody who plans on raising chickens, I had no idea this was a problem. Of course, I'm a suburban guy. :(:xeye::cool:

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
x2 for this post. As somebody who plans on raising chickens, I had no idea this was a problem. Of course, I'm a suburban guy. :(:xeye::cool:
I've not had it happen to my chooks (yet) and I've heard it sometimes happens if you put the chicks on grass too soon, but as hens take their chicks out right away, I don't know... *shrugs

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
I have found that the best way to deal with pasty butt is to prevent it from happening. I shave every chick hiney with a #40 surgical dog grooming blade. They all live now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts