Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
Brother and I had long discussions about building something similar. Most animated exchanges centered on exterior signage that would disinterest the majority of casually curious folks.

We settled on "Waste Water Remediation Service" or "Sewer Survey Service" , followed by "Bio-Hazard Testing Services"...

·
Outlander Territory
3,710 Posts
Very cool. I read a lot of the comments and many of them were suggesting the builder use skylights in lieu of windows. Apparently they didn't look very closely at the pictures...and the two skylights already installed!!!

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
Brother and I had long discussions about building something similar. Most animated exchanges centered on exterior signage that would disinterest the majority of casually curious folks.

We settled on "Waste Water Remediation Service" or "Sewer Survey Service" , followed by "Bio-Hazard Testing Services"...
Just make sure the exterior of the trailer is scuffed, dirty etc. Signs imply equipment which might be valuable.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
I've been tossing this idea around for awhile now. I love this idea versus a travel trailer. I just don't have the requisite skills to complete it I think

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a 5 x 10 motorcycle trailer for $1,400 (in 2012). I wanted something that could be pulled with anything. It has pretty much everything needed for short term living. It has a couple of solar panels, car batteries of course, a 20 gallon water supply, a small wind turbine, a double futon and a couple of hammocks for the kids. It's a 5 x 10 and would fit most of my preps and a motorcycle. Also has a bike rack for a few bikes. It's worked out great for camping and it's great practice. We've had a lot of fun with it and there definitely is some security in knowing you can take off in an hour's notice after loading buckets and get the heck out of dodge with everything you need. And if you get stopped on the road…jump on whichever bikes work. :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
…oh and a generator of course. And I'm working on a 3 way freezer. The t&ttt.com is a great site for survival (camping) info. Combined with a small piece of land, having a small trailer is a great alternative in having a quick, on-the-go shelter situation that is familiar to the family after you've used it camping enough times.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,301 Posts
What's the goal? a trailer that can be lived in, that looks like an equipment trailer?

It's every bit as insecure as a travel trailer. I am not sure it's going to deter a thief. It will be as much a "target of opportunity" as any travel trailer.

My friend did something similar to a horse trailer. Cost him a small fortune to get it right.

Reactions: JMF

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Very nice work. Just a reminder regarding the doors if not already addressed.....please make sure you cannot unintentionally be padlocked inside. Some trailers have exterior door latches with padlock provision.
The skylights could serve as emergency escapes perhaps...hard to see in photo; they may be too small for that.
No criticism, just thinking safety.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
What's the goal? a trailer that can be lived in, that looks like an equipment trailer?

It's every bit as insecure as a travel trailer. I am not sure it's going to deter a thief. It will be as much a "target of opportunity" as any travel trailer.

My friend did something similar to a horse trailer. Cost him a small fortune to get it right.
I think the original idea was for stealth camping where it wasn't allowed. Looks like a trailer not a camper.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
You might get some cammo netting from a surplus store, for covering it and your vehicle while in the woods. You might also make covers for the tires to protect them from the UVs .
It pays especially on trailers that set a long time.
My shop trailer is my solar power wind mill, and battery bank for the house normally, so it's working for me, even at home.

·
styer sniper
706 Posts
I had one but the family outgrew it. I loved the idea and would like to do another one when our kids move out, but that will be a while.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts