Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am going to open up a can of worms on this thread, but here it goes anyways...I see alot of people, myself in my early days of prepping trying to start their own armory. Before I moved my stuff to a different location I had more than some armories.

1st: I strongly believe that when times get tough you are only going to need hunting ammo and enough for basic self defense. This is not going to be a video game or movie. The more bullets flying the faster LE or the national guard will shut you down.

2nd: With that said my main point is the more rounds you have, the more of a target you are for being classified a threat. I think people have a short memory as to the Janet Reno days when the ATF was targeting as many people as they could, sometimes on trumped up charges. But they would then search your premises and use the total number of rounds (22 included) to paint you in a bad light trying to turn the jury against you and make you look like a crazy stockpiling armegeddon thinking threat to the media. Why would anybody have thousands of rounds unless they were a threat..right?

3rd: although there is no law against the number of rounds you can have, there are many counties that are trying to circumnavigate this by having a limit under the guise of fire safety. Most counties have limited the amount of rounds on the property from 3 to 5 thousand (22 included) and 20 pounds of powder, in which only 5 can be black powder. This is not per building but rather is listed as the premises, house/ outbuildings included together.

Just food for thought. I myself used to have a ton of stuff before I moved it to a neighboring state in a county that has no limits.

Anyways, I just thought I would put this out there and make people aware to check your county ordnances, and to cover your tracks.

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,222 Posts
I know I am going to open up a can of worms on this thread, but here it goes anyways...I see alot of people, myself in my early days of prepping trying to start their own armory. Before I moved my stuff to a different location I had more than some armories.

1st: I strongly believe that when times get tough you are only going to need hunting ammo and enough for basic self defense. This is not going to be a video game or movie. The more bullets flying the faster LE or the national guard will shut you down.

2nd: With that said my main point is the more rounds you have the more of a target you are for being classified a threat. I think people have a short memory as to the Janet Reno days when the ATF was targeting as many people as they could, sometimes on trumped up charges. But they would then search your premises and use the total number of rounds (22 included) to paint you in a bad light trying to turn the jury against you and make you look like a crazy stockpiling armegeddon thinking threat to the media. Why would anybody have thousands of rounds unless they were a threat..right?

3rd: although there is no law against the number of rounds you can have, there are many counties that are trying to circumnavigate this by having a limit under the guise of fire safety. Most counties have limied the amount of rounds on the property from 3 to 5 thousand. This is not per building but rather is listed as the premises, house/ outbuildings included together.

Just food for thought. I myself used to have a ton of stuff before I moved it to a neighboring state in a county that has no limits.

Anyways, I just thought I would just put this out there and make people aware to check your county ordnances and to cover your tracks.
I have been saying the same thing all along but with different points. My point is more how much ammo do you really 'need'. Like I keep saying if you are getting into high-powered rifle 'arguments' enough to need a couple cases of .223 then well....you should have saved some of that ammo money for a nicer headstone.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
A few rounds there, a few rounds there and pretty soon you don't have very many left.
Just for example.
Feral dogs?
Coyotes?
Warning shots?
Critters in the garden?
Sighting in scopes. They won't stay magically aligned PSHTF.
Training?
Defective rounds?
Rounds that just seem to always fall out of shell holders and gone forever.
Maybe you just need to shoot some stuff to bleed stress off.
It all adds up.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But in regards to my point regarding county ordnances. If you buy one case of 22 (5000 rounds) you are already in violation. And from what i've researched in San Diego, riverside and la counties. This is actually an ordnance you can be arrested for, although in other counties they are just confiscated.

Even my home county in Wisconsin passed an ordnance limiting to 6k rounds, 22 's included.

I'm just saying be careful.

Reactions: Optimist

·
19K/SS
985 Posts
But in regards to my point regarding county ordnances. If you buy one case of 22 (5000 rounds) you are already in violation. And from what i've researched in San Diego, riverside and la counties. This is actually an ordnance you can be arrested for, although in other counties they are just confiscated.

Even my home county in Wisconsin passed an ordnance limiting to 6k rounds, 22 's included.

I'm just saying be careful.

Is there anything in California that is not regulated anymore!?! It's absolute insanity out there. :upsidedown:

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Armory? You are storing arms or ammo for a military group or are you manufacturing arms? Either way you need permits for an armory and I suspect there will be a limit on your permit.

If you aren't outfitting a military or police group you have a cache or collection not an arsenal or armory. Get what you want and keep your yap shut about what you have and where you have it. Nobody's business but yours.

The more people who know the less security you have and the more likely somebody is going to take a close and hostile look at you. You don't need that kind of grief unless you can keep a good law firm on retainer.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Is there anything in California that is not regulated anymore!?!
Is that supposed to be a trick question or what?

If it can generate income for the state, its regulated!
If its fun, its regulated!
If it might offend someone, its regulated!
If its of any value, its regulated and taxed!

Ironically enough, being an illegal alien and illegally working and residing in the state is a okay apparently as they dont seem to enforce any of the regulations regarding that issue. But then again, its california...go figure.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's my real point old grump. I cleaned everything out and sent it away.

But it's not just California. I have relatives and friends still in the northland (northern wis, Minnesota and the u.p of Michigan) after I had them check their counties they were shocked. Everyone wants to mock California but check your local laws.

And my point about the ATF. They are fed they don't have boundaries.

Old grump gets my main point. It's too late for me to keep my yap shut, but I know how to cover tracks and be legal about it. But how many people out there are in violation without even knowing.

And the whole reason for this thread. Be careful. Before you know it you'll have people coming to paint you as a prepping/ survivalist nut job and they will get you. I wish it wasn't like this, why in order to be legal and not draw unwanted publicity do I have to spread my stuff around the country. And even then apparently some states I crossed I learned later I was in violation as well. It's next to impossible to be abreast of every local law, but they don't care.

Reactions: tricky48

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the whole reason for this thread. Be careful. Before you know it you'll have people coming to paint you as a prepping/ survivalist nut job and they will get you. I wish it wasn't like this, why in order to be legal and not draw unwanted publicity do I have to spread my stuff around the country.

Reactions: tricky48

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
As far as owning an arsenal, yup, makes one a target - like it or not, reality is the key

For buying ammo - I see OPs point, but also others about using for trade, ect

That's why CASH IS KING for accessory purchases. I have never used a CC or DC to purchase ANYTHING survival related, don't get "personal" with places I get from (name, town I live in, etc). I quietly go in, buy what I need in cash and leave,

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And just remember that in the early 90's headlines like 'man arrested with 8000 rounds of ammunition', came out of places like Montana, Colorado and yes even Texas.

As I keep saying be careful. I probably shouldn't have even started this. I got my butt covered legally. I should have just let you guys figure it out as you are prepping for war when shtf. But I wanted to warn my friends.

The days of cars with u.s. Marshall or tanks with u.s ATF swarming your property because of suspected stockpiling or minor weapon violations happened before in the early 90's and I guarantee you they will be back.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did I say not to stock up. I said be careful.

Maybe I need to get some sleep or the lack of sleep is starting to open my eyes to why the general population thinks survivalist's are nothing more than gun toting gonna shoot everything that moves nut jobs.

And that is the point. We are being lumped into the same category as the militia movement of the 80's. So I'll clpse the day with this.

And this will correspond to my points.

1. If you are just waiting for the day that you can start offloading your ammunition. And think that the lack of the rule of law will give you open season. You will be DEAD wrong. IMO they will come down even harder and regulate us even more. Any shots fired will have both LE and the guard coming down on you like flies on crap.

2. The media and the government are already starting to lock their sights on us. They will start to discredit us and paint us in the same light as the militias movement of the 90's. This is already happening.

3. If you are stockpiling and are unaware of your local ordnance or don't make the excess ammunition disappear, shame on you.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Those that think you can have too much ammo have never been to war. Lack of ammo is the stuff of nightmares.
Agreed. Ammo will be an item as valuable as PMs if production is halted. Hopefully, that's never going to happen. I'm certainly not a fanatic, but I do buy what I can afford as I can afford it. I like to shoot, so I always need to replenish.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.