Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my daughter a Mac for college and was wondering if carbonite works as well for backing up a Mac as it does for PCs. I use carbonite and love it for its simplicity.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
Time Machine works great and is included with the OS.
She would need a Firewire or USB external hard drive. (Local backup - not cloud backup)

Carbonite started supporting Mac in 2009. They are still using the same software -- so I'm thinking not much active development for Mac customers.

Mozy is another online backup that supports Mac. I have not used either service.

I use local backup via Firewire drives and Time Machine.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I wasn't aware that it was a cloud based backup. I'm using a time capsule 500GB wireless external and it backs my files up every day and keeps copies so that I can select exactly which day to restore to if needed.

The current OSX Lion has a recovery partition built in, so recovering the OS isn't a problem. Also any users of Lion are granted a free online storage via iCloud (formerly mobile.me) via the iDrive that can be used to sync specific files and folders, but probably wouldn't be a good choice for a complete system backup.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
I wasn't aware that it was a cloud based backup. I'm using a time capsule 500GB wireless external and it backs my files up every day and keeps copies so that I can select exactly which day to restore to if needed.

The current OSX Lion has a recovery partition built in, so recovering the OS isn't a problem. Also any users of Lion are granted a free online storage via iCloud (formerly mobile.me) via the iDrive that can be used to sync specific files and folders, but probably wouldn't be a good choice for a complete system backup.
Correct. Time Machine is local only. (not cloud based)

And the idisk is apples version of drop box. Not large enough for system backup.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
Correct. Time Machine is local only. (not cloud based)

And the idisk is apples version of drop box. Not large enough for system backup.
I was meaning that I didn't know carbonite was cloud based. Sorry for the confusion.

I read a description of carbonite and it looks like it's set up to duplicate individual files and folders. I suppose you can select the entire volume for backup as well. I'm just curious as to the limitations.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
good old fashion usb drive. and if you wanted to make sure you could get an old pc and build a back up solution as well. there are plenty of linux builds for this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts