Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So above is, my current vehicle trauma kit. I will do separate posts for the others just wanted to get this one out there and get some suggestions of what to add. What did I forget?.
The bag came with some Lucas gun cleaning products I figured why not put it to good use.
Top Contents:
-Casualty card
-6" trauma dressing/Israeli bandage
-4" trauma dressing/Israeli bandage
-CAT gen7 TQ
-Mylar blanket
-S rolled gauze
-Compressed gauze
-NPA w/ lube
-550 cord
-Decomp needle
-Gloves
-Lighter
-Chapstick
Bottom Contents:
-SAM chest seals
-Phokus research flat gauze
-Shears
-Combat gauze
-Zip stitch
-Alcohol and iodine filled Q Tips
-Eye shield
-Sanitizing wipes
-Surgical tape
-Coban wrap
-Extra cordage
-Ferro rod /striker
-Whistle

This post is strictly for trauma 1st aid items. I have a bigger water proof bag that has more "survival" items food, water, flashlights etc.

In this bag I have
-Basic OTC meds
-Bandaids
-Chlorohexidine wash
-Eye drops
-Mole skin
-Ace bandage
-instant cold pack

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
So above is, my current vehicle trauma kit. I will do separate posts for the others just wanted to get this one out there and get some suggestions of what to add. What did I forget?.
The bag came with some Lucas gun cleaning products I figured why not put it to good use.
Top Contents:
-Casualty card
-6" trauma dressing/Israeli bandage
-4" trauma dressing/Israeli bandage
-CAT gen7 TQ
-Mylar blanket
-S rolled gauze
-Compressed gauze
-NPA w/ lube
-550 cord
-Decomp needle
-Gloves
-Lighter
-Chapstick
Bottom Contents:
-SAM chest seals
-Phokus research flat gauze
-Shears
-Combat gauze
-Zip stitch
-Alcohol and iodine filled Q Tips
-Eye shield
-Sanitizing wipes
-Surgical tape
-Coban wrap
-Extra cordage
-Ferro rod /striker
-Whistle

This post is strictly for trauma 1st aid items. I have a bigger water proof bag that has more "survival" items food, water, flashlights etc.

In this bag I have
-Basic OTC meds
-Bandaids
-Chlorohexidine wash
-Eye drops
-Mole skin
-Ace bandage
-instant cold pack

Have you considered adding a magnifying mirror to this kit ? When time is of the essence, going through other bags just does not help stop the femoral artery from keeping the blood in a recycling event.

Ditto, when time is of the essence, ... to remove the glass splinters, of unmost concern,

·
Storyteller
5,042 Posts
Vehicles in Germany had first aid kits even as far back as the 1920s. It was an amendment to Article 35h of the German Road Traffic Licensing Regulation in 1969 which made it compulsory for a newly registered vehicle from 1970 onwards to have a first aid kit on board at all times.

The current standard for the contents of a first aid kit (DIN 13164:2022) regulates that two medical masks need to be contained in a car first aid kit as of Feb. 1
You can see what content the first aid kit in your car must have in order to comply with the requirements:

QuantitydesignationSize
1First-aid kit DIN 13151-Ksmall
2First-aid kit DIN 13151-Mmedium
1First-aid kit DIN 13151-Gbig time
1Bandage for burn wounds DIN 13152-BR40 x 60 cm
1Taping cloth DIN 13152-A60 x 80 cm
4Wound Quick Association DIN 13019-E10 x 6 cm
2Fixing bandage DIN 61634-FB-66 x 400 cm
3Fixing bandage DIN 61634-FB-88 x 400 cm
2BANDANA BIB-
6compresses10 x 10 cm
1emergency blanket210 x 160 cm
1Heftplaster DIN 13019-A5 mx 2,5 cm
114-part plaster set-
1First aid scissors DIN 58279-A 145-
4Disposable gloves DIn EN 455-
2Wet towel for skin cleansing-
1First aid booklet
(H/T to Vehicle first aid kit - Autohub.de )

·
Registered
653 Posts
EXCELLENT pack set up. Thanks for posting this.

I suggest doubling up on Cat-7 TQs, also I didn't see Quik-clot - at least 4 of the 2 ft rolls, and min of two big chest trauma bandages (I forgot the official name - combat dressing?) They are like 8x8 and 2" thick. I also carry a bottle of water and dry gatorade (electrolytes) honey packets (swipe from restaurant...) a little apple juice box (diabetics). And a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. I also keep like 6 big 6" rolls of gauze for wrapping big wounds.

Also I carry two NARCAN syringes for dopes. Also a bottle of "Boost" oxygen. I used some on a lady in distress on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (it's 9,000 ft) until the Rangers arrived with a "real" bottle of 02.

And finally I keep several rolls of the sports wrap tape that sticks to itself. I don't know the name. I call it crinkle tape. The stuff the nurse uses after a blood draw. It's great for a top wrap.

The amount of stuff you can go through is amazing. Especially a gunshot, or multiple victims. I had a friend come on a church van crashed in a remote area with 11 injured (or dead). It took like 45 min for EMS to arrive and he had NO first aid gear. All they could do was use clothing to stop bleeding, not move broken bones, and comfort the dying.

Obviously we aren't driving ambulances, but I can treat 3 to 5 serious issues. I use those orange tool boxes from Home Depot (were $10, probably more now). I have one in my jeep and truck, and a small one for my townie car.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Most FAKs are good for single events only and not for extended events or multiple patients suffering similar trauma. This creates a problem of just how much one is going to carry, being a first responder. I've seen trucks show up missing gear, due to responding in a widespread disaster. (earthquake)
Some multiple car wrecks can take serious time for EMTs to arrive. On occasion I've shared my gear with EMTs for the sake of the emergency, these guys loose stuff all the time too.
Get training.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Agreed with Offrink.

I would also add in a sharpie, notepad/cards of some kind, hand held light and a headlamp.

A seat belt cutter / window breaker wouldn't be bad either.
I keep a strap cutter and flashlight in my shifter console incase i need to use it to break my own window or cut a seatbelt in my vehicle. . There is a sharpie and pen in the kit already, have a lightbar head lamp but it is not in the kit/car currently. I will add a stack of flash cards thats a good idea, we have plenty in the closet for kids school supplies, and they haver use them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EXCELLENT pack set up. Thanks for posting this.

I suggest doubling up on Cat-7 TQs, also I didn't see Quik-clot - at least 4 of the 2 ft rolls, and min of two big chest trauma bandages (I forgot the official name - combat dressing?) They are like 8x8 and 2" thick. I also carry a bottle of water and dry gatorade (electrolytes) honey packets (swipe from restaurant...) a little apple juice box (diabetics). And a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. I also keep like 6 big 6" rolls of gauze for wrapping big wounds.

Also I carry two NARCAN syringes for dopes. Also a bottle of "Boost" oxygen. I used some on a lady in distress on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (it's 9,000 ft) until the Rangers arrived with a "real" bottle of 02.

And finally I keep several rolls of the sports wrap tape that sticks to itself. I don't know the name. I call it crinkle tape. The stuff the nurse uses after a blood draw. It's great for a top wrap.

The amount of stuff you can go through is amazing. Especially a gunshot, or multiple victims. I had a friend come on a church van crashed in a remote area with 11 injured (or dead). It took like 45 min for EMS to arrive and he had NO first aid gear. All they could do was use clothing to stop bleeding, not move broken bones, and comfort the dying.

Obviously we aren't driving ambulances, but I can treat 3 to 5 serious issues. I use those orange tool boxes from Home Depot (were $10, probably more now). I have one in my jeep and truck, and a small one for my townie car.
Combat gauze = Quick clot hemostatic gauze, quick clot makes both gauze and granules. I stay away form granules
I have electrolyte powder(Pedialyte) in the dry bag.

I dont think I have a use for Narcan cuz, Darwinism. Thats just my personal belief and choice.

The sport tape is called Coban wrap and i have then in there along with surgical tape.

Im not an ambulance service but will do what I can for who I can.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nice setup. I carry three tourniquets, lots of gauze, quik clot, tape and water for cleaning the area but don't ask me for a band aid i don't carry any. You might want to add another tourniquet or two a headlamp and some water. I will be picking up a mouth to mouth valve and some supplies for diabetics

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a bottle of chlorohexidine for cleaning wounds. I have a headlamp I just dont keep in the "medical" items, I have water but thats for drinking, not cleaning.

I keep a few band-aids I have kids..........

·
Registered
283 Posts
Combat gauze = Quick clot hemostatic gauze, quick clot makes both gauze and granules. I stay away form granules
I have electrolyte powder(Pedialyte) in the dry bag.

I dont think I have a use for Narcan cuz, Darwinism. Thats just my personal belief and choice.

The sport tape is called Coban wrap and i have then in there along with surgical tape.

Im not an ambulance service but will do what I can for who I can.
Darwinism will strike you at the worst possible time when someone's son or daughter picks up a folded dollar bill when you're not paying attention and open it to find it full of fentanyl laced heroin, or pure fentanyl. Put narcan in your kit. its free, its easy to store, and doesn't take up much space at all. don't be in a situation where you need narcan and don't have it. Heck, MTM with a 1 way valve won't prevent you from inhaling exhausted particulate from a victim, and if their 'medical emergency' was fentanyl related (unbeknownst to you as 1st responder) you quickly become a victim too. If for no one else, keep in your kit for yourself. EVERYONE who considers themself a responsible 1st responder should carry naloxone at this point

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I will take it into consideration. Ive seen overdoses as a kid growing up in Baltimore, not fentanyl, but other things.

·
Basket of deplorables
3,947 Posts
If I can offer any suggestions it might be to pack more kerlex or compressed gauze. When you get a real bleeder the stuff is super handy. If you know how to use them an adult and child sized C-collar. They can mean the difference between serious injury or something the surgeons can mitigate especially if placed before you extract anyone. A SAM splint can be invaluable for fractures or suspected fractures added with some form of a few cravats to help secure them (Edit, sorry I just saw the SAM splint after going back to your original post). Your kit looks pretty good to me as a whole. Keep in mind the mechanics of vehicular collisions see a whole lot of internal wounds that are very serious and need immediate medical attention.

While it's my preference, I keep a small triage kit which consists of a BP cuff, stethoscope and Pulse Ox monitor. Those three items can tell you a lot of what's going on with the person if medical care is a distance out and really are not that expensive to add while pretty compact.

·
Basket of deplorables
3,947 Posts
Vehicles in Germany had first aid kits even as far back as the 1920s. It was an amendment to Article 35h of the German Road Traffic Licensing Regulation in 1969 which made it compulsory for a newly registered vehicle from 1970 onwards to have a first aid kit on board at all times.

The current standard for the contents of a first aid kit (DIN 13164:2022) regulates that two medical masks need to be contained in a car first aid kit as of Feb. 1
You can see what content the first aid kit in your car must have in order to comply with the requirements:

QuantitydesignationSize
1First-aid kit DIN 13151-Ksmall
2First-aid kit DIN 13151-Mmedium
1First-aid kit DIN 13151-Gbig time
1Bandage for burn wounds DIN 13152-BR40 x 60 cm
1Taping cloth DIN 13152-A60 x 80 cm
4Wound Quick Association DIN 13019-E10 x 6 cm
2Fixing bandage DIN 61634-FB-66 x 400 cm
3Fixing bandage DIN 61634-FB-88 x 400 cm
2BANDANA BIB-
6compresses10 x 10 cm
1emergency blanket210 x 160 cm
1Heftplaster DIN 13019-A5 mx 2,5 cm
114-part plaster set-
1First aid scissors DIN 58279-A 145-
4Disposable gloves DIn EN 455-
2Wet towel for skin cleansing-
1First aid booklet
(H/T to Vehicle first aid kit - Autohub.de )
I always admired that about the German vehicle laws with the mandatory first aid kit.

·
Storyteller
5,042 Posts
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

when they have a pile up on der autobahn, first aid is self aid. Dunno the specifics on German EMS, but having a kit in your auto only makes sense

1 - 20 of 21 Posts