Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did y'all hear that William Shatner is going to go into space with Bezos?

Star Trek Legend William Shatner Will Really Blast Off to Space!

I just love William Shatner. Bezos, no. But I am still amazed that Shatner really is getting to go to space, for real!

And he's going to be the oldest human to go up.

I hope and pray he does well!

·
Indefatigable
21,548 Posts
Well I suppose it was a race to see who could pull of this PR stunt the fastest.
The real winner here is Shatner, either way, he gets a just reward. Bravo.
Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig and George Takei should be on the next one - your move Musk.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,154 Posts
I hope he enjoys it. I've always loved Capt. Kirk. William Shatner the man not so much. Me, I never want to get off this earth. I have ridden in airplanes just twice in my life and I hope I never do it again. That was bad enough. No way in hell would I go to outer space.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
35,687 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Well I suppose it was a race to see who could pull of this PR stunt the fastest.
The real winner here is Shatner, either way, he gets a just reward. Bravo.
Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig and George Takei should be on the next one - your move Musk.
I would LOVE for the commercial space race to be kicked into overdrive by seeing who can send the most sci-fi actors into space!

·
The Power of the Glave
2,726 Posts
"Famous rich people going into space" is the latest fad among the thrill seeking uber-wealthy celebrities. Pretending they are like the astronauts in "The Right Stuff". Climbing Mt. Everest? Descending 2 1/2 miles down to view the wreck of the Titanic? Oh please! That is soooo YESTERDAY! Now the latest thing is to get rocketed into Earth orbit. Just remember that rocketing into orbit is still an EXTREMELY risky endeavor. Basically, you are strapping people to the top of an enormous bottle-rocket. Filled with VERY volatile and explosive chemicals. And VERY complex mechanisms that can fail. What will happen when one of these situations turns into the next Challenger disaster? Suddenly the enthusiasm of billionaires and celebrities for "playing in space" will totally vanish.

·
Bugged out already
4,471 Posts
How about take Sigourney Weaver up? She could use that famous Ripley line.

“I say we take off, and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.”

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
"Famous rich people going into space" is the latest fad among the thrill seeking uber-wealthy celebrities. Pretending they are like the astronauts in "The Right Stuff". Climbing Mt. Everest? Descending 2 1/2 miles down to view the wreck of the Titanic? Oh please! That is soooo YESTERDAY! Now the latest thing is to get rocketed into Earth orbit. Just remember that rocketing into orbit is still an EXTREMELY risky endeavor. Basically, you are strapping people to the top of an enormous bottle-rocket. Filled with VERY volatile and explosive chemicals. And VERY complex mechanisms that can fail. What will happen when one of these situations turns into the next Challenger disaster? Suddenly the enthusiasm of billionaires and celebrities for "playing in space" will totally vanish.
Maybe.

But most that have gone up sofar describe it as a humbling experience. I'd argue that would be good for the uber rich if you subscribe to the notion that they're all blowhards or whatnot.

Keep in mind that the current risk factors allowed for human space flight are significantly tighter than previously.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
If Bezos is on the flight, I am hoping for another Challenger type launch.

·
Registered
13,863 Posts
Just remember that rocketing into orbit is still an EXTREMELY risky endeavor. Basically, you are strapping people to the top of an enormous bottle-rocket. Filled with VERY volatile and explosive chemicals.
You just described every teenage boys best dream that didn't involve a girl.
Well...it COULD involve a girl, but that's a different dream...

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I was in Shatners place, I would think of it like this.... at age 90, I have led a full life. Kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. I'd have a good inheritance to leave them. I've had a successful acting career. I've made people laugh. I'd done most or all of the things I'd wanted to do in my life.

If it goes kaboom, Id' have no regrets. It would be an instant, painless death, then I'd get to go see God for real.

If it doesn't go kaboom, I'd have put a galactic size cherry on the cosmic banana split of my life.

Again, I hope and will pray that it's the latter for him. He has my admiration. I don't think I'd be brave enough to climb on board.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,681 Posts
Just up to the edge-barely high enough to qualify as ‘space’..but still awfully cool…He deserves it-like John Glenn..

Reactions: Monique

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 39 Posts