·
Indefatigable
23,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
19,598 Posts
Might as well give them a bottle of corn syrup.

Shoppers at my store with the worst behaved kids always have a cart full of Capri sun and other fake "kids foods".

My parents only gave us water or milk, we would get a can of Coke at the rare family movie night but that was it. I grew up just fine. The kids in school drinking that schlop were always complaining about having to get cavities filled and their "hyperactive" (back then a popular term) diagnoses. It's not food and I sure wouldn't give it to a child when SHTF.

Water, milk, or orange juice. If I ever remarry his kids/grandkids are going to be in a rude shock in my kitchen!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Might as well give them a bottle of corn syrup.

Shoppers at my store with the worst behaved kids always have a cart full of Capri sun and other fake "kids foods".

My parents only gave us water or milk, we would get a can of Coke at the rare family movie night but that was it. I grew up just fine. The kids in school drinking that schlop were always complaining about having to get cavities filled and their "hyperactive" (back then a popular term) diagnoses. It's not food and I sure wouldn't give it to a child when SHTF.

Water, milk, or orange juice. If I ever remarry his kids/grandkids are going to be in a rude shock in my kitchen!
There's probably more sugar in OJ than one of these juice pouches. There's also no corn syrup in them. My kids loved them growing up. We watched their total sugar intake and avoided HFCS like the plague that it is. When they were all in their sippy cup phase we used about 80% water with some juice to flavor it. They were used to the lightly flavored diluted juice so when they tried things like soda, OJ etc, they rejected it. To this day they don't drink soda.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
19,598 Posts
I worked in a church nursery for years, we served apple juice and graham crackers at snacktime. Carbs upon carbs and then the kids would act up...

One mother would pump breastmilk and provide a couple of bottles for her son, she only wanted him to drink that, no juice no crackers. One day another boy stole the bottle and drank the whole thing in seconds. Probably the first real food he ever had in his life. After that we had to give the breast milk baby his bottles in a crib or in our arms or the other boy would try to steal it again.

If I'd had kids I would have been unable to breastfeed as my milk would be toxic from my medication. But I would have wanted to.

I just think if you're going to go through all the misery of pregnancy, the agony of childbirth, your figure is never the same after birth, sleepless nights with baby, endless diapers and toilet training you would want to put some quality fuel in your kids, not the cheap addictive trash"food" that's advertised on TV.

My parents had a very strict TV policy with us, half an hour a WEEK. So we didn't want all the twinkies and capri sun. We would rent movies a couple times a month and have a family movie night with microwave popcorn.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
11,119 Posts
I wont admit I did it, but I have found them with the corner cut off, and some in a glass with ice on the end table.....
I freeze them prior to a kayak trip-throw them in the Yeti and they last all day…I too have discovered them [somehow🙈] in a glass by my recliner but Im just not sure how that happened

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My parents had a very strict TV policy with us, half an hour a WEEK. So we didn't want all the twinkies and capri sun. We would rent movies a couple times a month and have a family movie night with microwave popcorn.
Ditto, pretty common when I was a kid.
Parents still have a strict TV, or more likely, strict video game policy. It's leave me alone it's been a long day, go play a game.......

No wonder things are so screwed up.

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,585 Posts
Capri Sun ingredients:
FILTERED WATER; SUGAR; PEAR, GRAPE AND ORANGE JUICE CONCENTRATES; MONK FRUIT CONCENTRATE; CITRIC ACID; APPLE AND PINEAPPLE JUICE CONCENTRATES; NATURAL FLAVOR, MUSHROOM EXTRACT (TO PROTECT QUALITY).

Nutrition Information:
Serving Size 1 Pouch (177mL)
Serving Per Container About 0

Amount Per Serving:
Calories 35 K CAL
Calories from Fat 0 Grams
Total Fat 0 Grams (0% USRDA)
Saturated Fat 0 Grams (0% USRDA)
Trans Fat 0 Grams
Cholesterol 0 MG (0% USRDA)
Sodium 15MG (1% USRDA)
Total Carbohydrates 9G (3% USRDA)