Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I don't like to throw stuff away that has uses. My son drinks all these Capri Sun drinks. I save some of the pouches trying to think of something to do with them all. I an not a big Greenie or anything, but I like to re-use or re-purpose things. I have seen on the news and websites people making Carpi Sun purses, wallets, etc

It made me think of what else I could make and they seemed the perfect size for individual MRE/Mini-ration kits. This stuff is THICK mylar and already food grade. We all know how much we love our mylar. Here is what I did:

First I cut the pouch all the way across right under the staw spout. There is a small plastic strip on the inside that need to be removed also. Then you rinse it clean.

Then fill it with whatever food you want. This one I put some rice and seasoning.

Then you seal it. I used a paper towel and my wife's hair straightener. You can use an Iron also.

TIGHT Seal

Now I have a small ration pack sealed in Mylar. If you want you can add an O2 absorber. I tried to vaccum seal it on my Vaccum Sealer, but it did not have enough heat to seal through the thick mylar. I have done it with the hair iron and the FoodSaver tube attachment though.

But it is the perfect size, compact, lightweight, and airtight.
It can even be its own cup. I am going to save these from now on. Next project is a Capri Sun thick mylar emergency blanket.

Vic

·
population control
67 Posts
My son loves these things (I am kinda partial myself) and after seeing this I will be saving them and doing the same. Thank you for a very useful post.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Potato chip bags are mylar too, Thin, but can be re-sealed.
Yep. I sometimes save the thicker mil ones. Mylar is actually just a brand of polyester film covered with plastic (Polyethylene Terephthalate ). It was created by Dupont. But not all Polyethylene Terephthalate films are "Mylar" brand. Kind of like how not all copy machines are Xerox. It is just a popular branding of the product.

·
Registered
630 Posts
That is a cool idea,I can do that for my hunting trip to carry lunch...:thumb:

Reactions: OregonKevin

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you think these could be used to pre-cook food in just like MRE entrees?
You know, I just tried to pour boiling water into that pouch and let the rice sit in it. I had crunchy rice LOL But I tried with Ramen noodles, and it worked fine!

Now... because I can pour hot water into the pouch, doesn't mean it was designed to hold hot water. The Mylar is lined with plastic. I do not know what plastics would leach into the foods once the hot water hits it. Plastics react differently when room temp from when you heat it. At room temp, it can be completely stable, but when heat is added, it MAY leach chemicals.

So, I say once in a while you should be able to pouch cook it, but it is not something I would do regularly. I would still just empty the contents into a cooking container for the majority of times.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is awesome! My son drinks these like crazy too! Good thing I use an iron and a hair straightner!!!
If you use a hair straightner to seal mylar, just be sure to use that paper towel between them! I made that mistake once and it took me an hour to get the mylar/plastic goop off my wifes hair iron LOL

·
Did you bring beer???
913 Posts
If you use a hair straightner to seal mylar, just be sure to use that paper towel between them! I made that mistake once and it took me an hour to get the mylar/plastic goop off my wifes hair iron LOL
Tsk tsk! I bet she was mad! LOL

I might try that this weekend! I'll let you know how it turns out!

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tsk tsk! I bet she was mad! LOL

I might try that this weekend! I'll let you know how it turns out!
Not as mad as she was when she tried to straighten her hair and it had gunk on it LOL It actually stuck to her hair and yanked it a bit LOLOLOL Ahh brings back memories... but I was allowed my hair iron priveleges again once I started using the paper towel as a buffer (and flowers of course haha) :D:

1 - 20 of 387 Posts