Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you knew how many fluid oz. the canteen cup holds. Do you think it would be enough if I had utensils, a plate, and the canteen cup for my cook set?

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Which canteen cup? There are many of them.

If you're referring to the U.S. Military issue canteen cup that fits below the 1 quart canteen, I just went and measured it for you using a water bottle, and it appears to be around 21-23 ounces.

You're the only one who can decide if it's good enough for your cooking set.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
I'm sure many a hot "meal" has been heated, in fox holes, in a GI canteen cup over the decades.

As a kid in the Boy Scouts I heated more soup and stew in mine than I can count. Not to mention hot chocolate and water for other stuff. I have several, including that burnt and well used cup dated 1944 and an old GI mess kit from my scouting days.

Ahh, thanks for the trip down memory lane Chriz, thanks a lot.

I guess it really depends on how well what you are cooking is suited for basic pan or small pot cooking.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The GI canteen and canteen cup are great items for the pack or belt. I have heated double serving mountain house meals, MRE's, Winter MRE's, Hot Buttered Rum, Hot Chocolate, Espresso's, Cider and other stuff in there. A great piece of kit. I think I have 6 of them and they are all wrapped around my canteens in the pouches.

Might be good ones to add to the Pay It Forward thread.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
I was wondering if any of you knew how many fluid oz. the canteen cup holds. Do you think it would be enough if I had utensils, a plate, and the canteen cup for my cook set?
1 Pint = 16 ounces.

My canteen cup is the WWII stainless variety the aluminum are the same size.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I, too have many US military canteen cups, but I want to switch from them and the military canteen to the round bottle style used by the manufacturers of water filters or purifiers so I am seeking a round metal cup that has a folding handle and can be used to heat water being able to fit it around the canteen/bottle saves space.

The stainless steel military one is good and rugged but a titanium one to save weight would be even better.

Alternately I suppose I could try to locate the caps with tubes to the US military canteen that are designed to work with gas masks and jury rig tubing between it and an inline water filter. Has anyone done that?

The US military canteens I have are the OD plastic. Anyone know of a source for the metal canteens?

Anyone know of a source for a round metal cup with a folding handle that fits around the round water bottles? (The Thermos cap/cover is too small.)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
All you need is a canteen cup and a spork, or spoon. There is no need in having an extra plate.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
The Boy Scout mess kit weighs 6oz and comes with a skillet, a plate, a 1 pt. pot and a drinking cup. Add a spork and you have everything for frying up fresh caught fish to boiling water/making stew. Alot of UL backpackers premix/cook soups and stews and carry them in boiling bags so all they do is drop it in boiling water to heat. Then they use the water for hot choc or coffee or just to drink.

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
Personally I like my Vargo titanium mug. It weighs 4.9 oz and holds 750ml (3/4 qt.). The nice thing is that it nests a Nalgene bottle perfectly. I don't use G.I. canteens, but have lots of Nalgene bottles, so I try to standardize accessories around them.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/...nium-'-Ti-lite'-Mug/product_info.html

It lists for $49.95, but I got mine off ebay for around $30 shipped. A little pricey, but the weight and size make up for it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've got a french army aluminium canteen and cup, works great. Heard aluminium is bad for you though.. Ah well, I haven't got any brain damag-amag-amage just yet ;)

Cheers,
Sean.

P.S. Idk what it holds in the cup. I have a big coffee tin that I fit all my food into instead of a bag or box or whatever and that can also be used to boil water/cook soup/stew/whatever in if you want to do a bigger batch in one go.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
dawg69 and chriz, thanks for the ideas on the round cups. I had looked in EMS and REI and another independent outdoor store without luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here's another one I'm looking at, http://www.campingsurvival.com/jumbosierracup1.html
I think I might like this one the most because you can easily eat out of it like it's a normal bowl. I don't have to worry about space since I won't be doing long treks(I'm 13).

Anybody have ideas on ways to make a lid to shorten boil time? I'm thinking tin-foil.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
All you need is a canteen cup and a spork, or spoon. There is no need in having an extra plate.
There is if you plan to actually make a "meal" and not a single entree. It's hard to cook a "meal" when you have one container. Spaghetti and meatballs don't go too good with the mashed taters side mixed right in in one canteen cup.

r

·
Be Prepared
446 Posts
here's another one I'm looking at, http://www.campingsurvival.com/jumbosierracup1.html
I think I might like this one the most because you can easily eat out of it like it's a normal bowl. I don't have to worry about space since I won't be doing long treks(I'm 13).

Anybody have ideas on ways to make a lid to shorten boil time? I'm thinking tin-foil.
Chriz,
The Vargo cup that I listed in my post comes with a lid with a built in strainer.

TANSTAF1,
The cheapest I was able to find on the Vargo mug was $44.99 here: http://www.outdoorcooking.com/catalog/item/179/0/0/120013/670/Vargo+Titanium+Ti-Lite+Mug.html

Probably a better deal is here: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/VRG1010
It has the Vargo mug and titanium alcohol stove for $63.55.

I don't know what is going on. Most of the sites I looked at showed the mugs out of stock.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts