Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I have no evidence other than anecdotal, but I've found stainless steel to taste much better, and is much easier to clean for some reason. I guess technically it's more durable than aluminum, but you'd have to put either one through a really rough time to mess them up.

I personally think stainless steel is worth the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You guys realize that you probably aren't "tasting" anything in the steel, because alot of the pipes for city water are steel. A lot of well owners have steel as well. You might be aclimated to the taste.

Aluminum is in just about everything, including a pretty large amount in the soil. What you are probably tasting is a the oxide when you boil. To date there has been no study to prove its harmful, and is probably less of a issue then iron rust to the system.

I am not condoning AL vs steel, but it seems alot of you are scared of issues that don't exsist.

Personally I have a steel one because it was cheap, and debated about titanium for its durability.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
My canteen cup is steel.

A few years ago I bought some aluminum cook sets for my kids. After using them a few times, I figured out that they are too weak and too easy to bend. So I'am in the process of replacing those aluminum cook sets with either steel or titanium.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,803 Posts
I have one aluminum pot which I don't use and haven't for about 20 years.

I use only stainless steel and even pyrex glass when possible. And for a camping / backpacking cup only stainless. Just feel better about it, mainly from all that I have heard over the years.
Don't know if it is completely true about aluminum poisoning, getting alzheimers etc etc. from aluminum but why take a chance?

Here is a google search where some can begin to choose for themselves. >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...1&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=aluminum+toxicity+&gs_rfai=

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen an aluminum canteen cup. All the ones I was ever issued were steel.
When I joined the Army Dad gave me the CC he was issued in WWII and I carried it for my entire 20 years,sometimes I hauled along my newer issue cup as well when weight wasn't as big a factor but that ol' 1943 L handle was always my primary. I shaved,cooked and washed up out of that thing and I still have it.
It's dented,blackened and beat up but it still works fine and it's the one that's got a place in my BOB and goes hunting,camping etc. with me always. One of the best "upgrades" for the CC imho is the little stove that was meant for using Hexy tabs to heat water or whatever. They do fine with scrap wood too and slip over the cup to store in the pouch. Good kit! :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.