Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I mean I understand why opsec is necessary but can't it become boarderline paranoia.

If we spend all of our time worrying about opsec how can we ever meet new friends or help out strangers.

I have been on the boards for a couple of years now and I can see how hard it is to get a group together for even small meets in your immediate area , I have tried extending my hand out to people to help them get started or to give advice , and it has went nowhere.

And I would have to say that it is because everyone thinks that you are to to scam them somehow.

My wife tells me that it is my own fault , she says that I am one in a millon that I am a rare breed because I say what I mean and mean what I say and because I am truley a genourous type of person that is willing to help a stranger. And most people are just not like that any more , because they are to busy looking out for themselves. Of course she is my wife and a bit prejudice , personally it almost seems like the younger people just don't trust the older people anymore.

I understand opsec I truely do but it seems like it is being carried to far , if anyone is spying on the board they already know who we are anyway.
I mean no disrespect when I post this.

You are telling us to basically trust you,

but (yep there it is)

You have no Bio, no region where you live, no age and your post count is below 600.

These are things we look at when we talk to people on here.

Should it matter...maybe.

DOES it matter, You bet.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
paranoia? maybe. but it keeps my butt safe........the only way to know for sure you are not gonna get murdered at burger king? don't go to burger king. LOL

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I mean no disrespect when I post this.

You are telling us to basically trust you,

but (yep there it is)

You have no Bio, no region where you live, no age and your post count is below 600.

These are things we look at when we talk to people on here.

Should it matter...maybe.

DOES it matter, You bet.
Hes absolutly correct. But you can still find people who you would want to include by what you do for fun. Like hunting buddies,4x4 clubs fishing clubs Ham radio groups,gardening groups you never know. But what you want to really look for is not how people are when everything is right. But look for people who when things go wrong follow a code of morals that is simular to yours. Look for the people you can trust when things go bad. You can tell alot oabout someones charecter even over things at a BBQ. You will get a feel for them. The best ones are the ones who do things you do for fun.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I mean I understand why opsec is necessary but can't it become boarderline paranoia.

If we spend all of our time worrying about opsec how can we ever meet new friends or help out strangers.

I have been on the boards for a couple of years now and I can see how hard it is to get a group together for even small meets in your immediate area , I have tried extending my hand out to people to help them get started or to give advice , and it has went nowhere.

And I would have to say that it is because everyone thinks that you are to to scam them somehow.

My wife tells me that it is my own fault , she says that I am one in a millon that I am a rare breed because I say what I mean and mean what I say and because I am truley a genourous type of person that is willing to help a stranger. And most people are just not like that any more , because they are to busy looking out for themselves. Of course she is my wife and a bit prejudice , personally it almost seems like the younger people just don't trust the older people anymore.

I understand opsec I truely do but it seems like it is being carried to far , if anyone is spying on the board they already know who we are anyway.
This is America! Choose your own path but please don't belittle others for their choices.

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saint you have nothing posted in your bio either. But I will start readyng through your 31.75 post per day to see how much is meaningful.

No disrepect intended.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
Paranoia, maybe. Ever heard the phrase "Better safe than sorry"? Or how about "Its hard to find good help these days"? Just ask a small buisness owner!

Perhaps I`m a bit jaded, or just not trusting by nature. I wouldnt call myself anti-social, I have to deal with the public every day. But some life lessons learned the hard way are why I keep a VERY small circle of friends. Mostly guys I served with or have known my whole life.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Hey saint, MY post count is below 600, but you should see my cholesterol! ;)
Oh dont get me started on that....LOL :D:

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Saint you have nothing posted in your bio either. But I will start readyng through your 31.75 post per day to see how much is meaningful.

No disrepect intended.
sure I do, you know I meant profile ...right?

always have since day 1.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
she says that I am one in a millon that I am a rare breed because I say what I mean and mean what I say and because I am truley a genourous type of person that is willing to help a stranger.
My brother from another mother!

My parents raised me this way. I remember when a friend burned his leg very badly and was unable to work for several months, my parents brought them groceries weekly.

If my dad said he would do something he would, from spanking my ass to doing a job.

I tend to be the same way.

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sure I do, you know I meant profile ...right?

always have since day 1.
Please help direct me to it , I click on your name and it takes me to your statics page I can't find a bio or a profile anywhere , I would like to read it , since this is how trust is based. All it tells is is that you average more than 1 post every hour of every day.

No disrespect intended I just want to know more about you .

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Honestly I feel the same way as you. I would love to meet and help out someone if I can. Some people go into a paranoia spiral, especially after reading all the stuff on the boards. I think it just gets to be too much. I don't care if people know I live 8 miles e. of N.O. near the bayous. what are they gonna do that the 200 thousand near me won't???

I do find if funny with some of the true "government are after ME types" that post here. The only thing that ever upset me was right after I joined a Yankee cop found out and posted my last name here. That was just creepy. But I have nothing to hide,. No one is gunning for me and I'm not ginning for anyone else.:)

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Please help direct me to it , I click on your name and it takes me to your statics page I can't find a bio or a profile anywhere , I would like to read it , since this is how trust is based. All it tells is is that you average more than 1 post every hour of every day.

No disrespect intended I just want to know more about you .
I see the problem; I sent you a friend’s request.

welcome. :thumb:

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is America! Choose your own path but please don't belittle others for their choices.
I am unsure whom it is that you think that I belittled ? That was surely not my intention , I thought I was asking a harmless question.

I took me awhile to understand that you are not allowed to have an opinion in the religious section or one in the politics section.

I am a slow learner I just need not to post at all. Please forgive me for asking a question. I took me over 500 post but I've got it now.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hippies didn't trust anyone over 30, it appears that the clique in this place doesn't trust anyone with less that 600 posts. I have a strong suspicion that Rawles doesn't have 600 posts in here, therefore he is substandard. :D:

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
Hippies didn't trust anyone over 30, it appears that the clique in this place doesn't trust anyone with less that 600 posts. I have a strong suspicion that Rawles doesn't have 600 posts in here, therefore he is substandard. :D:
All the hippies are now over 60. I guess they have not trusted themselves for 30 or more years.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
OpSec has gown to far when you've lost the password to your "My Eyes Only Master Plan" document.

. . . never mind. I found it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts